Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sduskin View Post
    he machined it out of some pieces of aluminum
    I like this! Very industrial looking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I just put the hole in the key like every other key in the world. I see no reason BRP needs to be different from everything else. I only have a house key and garage door fob on my key ring, never had them scratch or otherwise hurt the spyder nor get in the way of anything while in the ignition.

I would prefer if BRP would go to keyless fobs like most newer cars. There is simply no need for a mechanical lock when an electronic one offers MUCH better security along with its convenience. Mechanical keys are so 1960s....

Agreed! My car I can open door, trunk, and start her up with the key in my pocket or bag. That's probably why I'm worried about this key!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTwyn View Post
    Mine didn't come with anything. I only have one key, so I'm extra paranoid. I have a second key that is not cut or programmed yet.
    You will want to get it cut and programmed pronto! Lose the one key you have and you will be in deep doo doo for BIG bucks! If you have no functioning key for your Spyder there is no way for the dealer to cut and program a new one. The entire DESS module has to be replaced.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Lots of options. Find the one that works for you.
    Mine is keyport. https://mykeyport.com
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458206862.401446.jpg. Fyi can hold 6 key blades & lots of options so i cant say any 1 price.
    Fyi mine holds the 4 keys i use most often, a flashlight & a thumb drive too. Handy all in size of a tic tac case. Was able to clone my chip into a option on side as to not wast space. & offers a reward if found return system. Lil extra comfort. Also allows me to keep OEM key spares safe & a x270 to access frunk. Really hand in cooler months when you put keys in jacket pocket then screw up & lock jacket in frunk. Lol many have done it, no worries if you have the x270 somewhere reachable ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458207825.402319.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458207864.902988.jpg
    Only barrel keys (HD , lidlox) will not fit, but lil ring on end cap holds my lidlox key just fine & will hold fobs or other stuff tooImageUploadedByTapatalk1458208058.984740.jpg

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I agree should def be electronic...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You will want to get it cut and programmed pronto! Lose the one key you have and you will be in deep doo doo for BIG bucks! If you have no functioning key for your Spyder there is no way for the dealer to cut and program a new one. The entire DESS module has to be replaced.

Now I'm even more paranoid! I'll ryde up there after the weekend and see what can be done. Can the key be cut at Lowes or a similar place? The dealer I bought my byke from gave me a key, but they had no way to cut it. I was trying to wait for my initial 600 mile "break in" service.

Also, thanks to everyone for sharing and posting the great key fob ideas! I've been enjoying reading everyone's take on it.

Spyder Garage

Default EXTRA KEY

I had my extra keys cut and cloned at my local Ace Hardware store, they work like a charm..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Done the same thing with our 2 spyders, works good for us

Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone ordered one of these key fobs?

Now I'm even more paranoid! I'll ryde up there after the weekend and see what can be done. Can the key be cut at Lowes or a similar place? The dealer I bought my byke from gave me a key, but they had no way to cut it. I was trying to wait for my initial 600 mile "break in" service.

Also, thanks to everyone for sharing and posting the great key fob ideas! I've been enjoying reading everyone's take on it.
    Np we like to help. Fyi Lowes should be able to cut a duplicate key like the ilco x270 no chipped. To get a chip cloned you need a locksmith ow willing dealer that is not going to force you to buy a oem replacement key. There are other options as long as you have a working key. Keep it safe! Some have drilled but is way risky with only 1 key the item you found is nothing more than a folded piece of leather with couple holes in it. If your handy you can make yourself. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458279824.123260.jpg heres one few lucky F3 owner were givin as BRP giftImageUploadedByTapatalk1458279884.407270.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458279903.424770.jpg. Leathercraft is fun & you can match colors with your bike. Try it out

I wasn't there but I still care!
    POW MIA VETS
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-18-2016 at 12:46 AM.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Default I just love it...

he machined it out of some pieces of aluminum
    I ordered one of these for my key, and just love it... And yes I have another key on the ring, so it flops around a little when riding, but nothing I worry about
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What year is your Spyder, 2013? If so, you can have a key cloned. But since you already have an OEM key I'd have Lowe's, or a locksmith cut the key. The dealer will have to program it using what's called a master key. To program keys for the 2013 & earlier you have to have at least 2 Can Am keys, and up to four. After that you can get an after market key, I don't remember the name and number of it now, and have it cut. Some key cutting places can clone the program from one of your OEM keys into the non Can Am key. The cloned key looks to the DESS like it is one of the OEM programmed keys.

In 2014 BRP changed the key security system and cloning no longer works. The dealer has to program all keys using BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a leather cover. The rubber chicken makes it easy to find, especially if I drop it.

When I first got it, it needed a push to use the seat and frunk unlocks, but it's since worn in and is no longer an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Boy I be very basic! I just carry my spare key in my hip pocket! No loss, no problrm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Boy I be very basic! I just carry my spare key in my hip pocket! No loss, no problrm
    Well, I have left it in the trunk twice and once in the ignition overnight. Just at the house, but it still makes me uneasy...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I have a leather cover. The rubber chicken makes it easy to find, especially if I drop it.

When I first got it, it needed a push to use the seat and frunk unlocks, but it's since worn in and is no longer an issue.
    You are suppose to push in for the frunk & seat, was -is not a key brake in norm thing. So you are saying you can now just turn your key & either will open? Dont think thats right bud. Srz

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

^^ "You are suppose to push in for the frunk & seat, was -is not a key brake in norm thing. So you are saying you can now just turn your key & either will open? Dont think thats right bud. Srz"

I guess I wasn't clear. One of the previous posters mentioned that he'd tried a similar leather cover, but that it interfered when he pushed the key to open the frunk or seat. My experience is that the leather softened up so that it isn't an issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kind of like your chicken!
    Is there a story behind it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    I found these on another forum or website: http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/AMG-BMW-BMWJ33.html

I ordered 2 and they do the job well. I didn't like the oem holder and was always worried my wife would lose the key. I wanted something that would attach to a key ring to also hold my cable lock key.
    I use the same thing and it works great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Your just Soooooo basic! I am even more so. I just leave my key in the ignition. If someone steals the Spyder Moma says I get to buy a new one.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Update to this thread

I received my key holder, works perfectly. Ironically, the day after I got it I received the spare key for the dealer which had one of the sheaths on it (I didn't know the dealer was sending the key, they said they didn't have it). I'm using the key with the sheath as a spare.

I got a small plush key chain which I attached to the key holder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought two of these (found them on amazon); one gold, one blue, and I love them.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I little expensive....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DRILLED KEY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I saw that, and really hoped that we weren't talking about dollars...

Oh; my key is drilled, and is working just fine!

Where is your key drilled, can you post a picture?

Spyder Garage

Default Key cover

I bought 2 of these from E-Bay fits real well only $7:40 Ea
    BMW 3 Button Remote Key Cover Case Rubber Silicone

Spyder Garage

My RST came with one of these orange rubber things on both keys from the dealer. I added the split ring and the woven perlon thing so I could find it in my pocket.