Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LITHIUM - ION -PHOSPHATE Batteries from Deltran

I don't know much about the Lithium Battery thing for Spyders, however Deltran is a very well respected company. I just saw that Walmart has one on sale $136.00 in our size ( 21-24 Ah 360 cca 12v ) Be sure to look at the correct one !!!!. It doesn't require a special Maintainer .....only that the Maintainer DOESN'T have a DE-sulfate mode.........so most maintainers will work OK... This battery is only 2.6 lbs.........The MSRP from Deltran is $ 225.00 +/- ........have a look on their web site and read all the info.......( I know the YUASA is around $135 ).....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-15-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike!
    I've always been intrigued by these batteries, and I already trust the Deltran brand!
    This'll be my battery's third full Season, so I know that I should at least start looking around for a replacement...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The information came for me at a good time. It will be battery replacement this summer for the 2011 (bought new in 2012).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is the link: It is the proper battery as per the cross reference on the manufacturers site. There are only 3 left in stock!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deltran-Ba...ttery/32833007

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Here is the link: It is the proper battery as per the cross reference on the manufacturers site. There are only 3 left in stock!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deltran-Ba...ttery/32833007
    Thank you, that's the one.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Lithium Ion batteries

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't know much about the Lithium Battery thing for Spyders, however Deltran is a very well respected company. I just saw that Walmart has one on sale $136.00 in our size ( 21-24 Ah 360 cca 12v ) Be sure to look at the correct one !!!!. It doesn't require a special Maintainer .....only that the Maintainer DOESN'T have a DE-sulfate mode.........so most maintainers will work OK... This battery is only 2.6 lbs.........The MSRP from Deltran is $ 225.00 +/- ........have a look on their web site and read all the info.......( I know the YUASA is around $135 ).....Mike
    Are these Lithium Batteries safe to use in the spyder, vs the standard batteries they came with. How is the lifespan vs the standard, if it's about the same would the benefits outweigh the cost? Having never used a lithium battery in a vehicle inquiring minds want to know, I assume I can still use my battery tender Jr with one?
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As Mike mentioned in his original Post: as long as your maintainer doesn't have a "de-sulfate" mode; you should be good to go!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I have a Shoria

These batteries weigh nothing!!! I have one in my V-Max and when it arrived, I think the packaging weighed as much as the battery. It's been 3 years and no problems at all other thatn the 10 pound weight loss. I'll undoubtly go with a Li battery when replacement time comes for the .

KAOS
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-15-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

So you know...... one downfall of these is the possibility of fire.
    Just do some research about how these are getting more and more restricted to be shipped via air.
    A Fed-Ex plane went down a few years back due to a Lithium battery fire. This caused many FAA restrictions.

Charging these requires sophisticated circuitry and balancing. I am sure this is built into this battery to make it a drop in.
    BUT any failure here and poof!

I have been working with and using Lithium batteries for RC helis for years. Yes they are Li-po instead of Li-on and Li-on is a lot safer than Li-po but the possible risk is still there.

I myself would not do it on a Spyder.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default LITHIUM BATTERY & FIRES

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Just do some research about how these are getting more and more restricted to be shipped via air.
    A Fed-Ex plane went down a few years back due to a Lithium battery fire. This caused many FAA restrictions.

Charging these requires sophisticated circuitry and balancing. I am sure this is built into this battery to make it a drop in.

I have been working with and using Lithium batteries for RC helis for years. Yes they are Li-po instead of Li-on and Li-on is a lot safer than Li-po but the possible risk is still there.

Bob
    ........Lithium batteries have gotten a hugh amount of press lately about the fire thing....In the small print at the very end of the articles it may or may not say that the ones that have the issues are the el cheapo knock-offs from China.......I cannot say where Deltran makes or gets there's from....But I think Deltran rates right up there with Yuasa as far as batteries are concerned .......Mike ............PS, It did say it came with a 3 year guarantee !!!!!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The company that I work for packages Lithium batteries and all of them are restricted from passenger airlines due to the fire hazard. For the most part, these batteries are safe to use but you do need to watch how they are handled. We have had a few batteries catch fire if not handled correctly or when they are damaged. I ship damaged batteries back to the manufacturer in barrels filled with mineral oil. Just pay attention during installation not to drop or damage the battery and you should be fine.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

Finless
    they are also somewhat smaller requiring some shimming to keep them snug in the battery box. They may be suited for the triple (1330) but would not recommend them for the twins (998). Jmo and I don't think the weight savings is worth it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    Thanks for the very clear and concise description of this potential problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........Lithium batteries have gotten a hugh amount of press lately about the fire thing....In the small print at the very end of the articles it may or may not say that the ones that have the issues are the el cheapo knock-offs from China.......I cannot say where Deltran makes or gets there's from....But I think Deltran rates right up there with Yuasa as far as batteries are concerned .......Mike ............PS, It did say it came with a 3 year guarantee !!!!!
    I think that Mike has also brought forth an effective argument concerning Deltran's reputation. Honestly; this is what makes me feel more comfortable with using this type of battery.
    Perhaps some more research will give all of us a better basis upon which to decide.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How would any potential fire concerns if used in the spyder be any different than in a cell phone, computer, or tablet that we use everyday?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose that you can always throw a flaming cellphone under a car... (for entertainment purposes! )
    But jumping off of a flaming Spyder in traffic might be a bit more... tense!

Spyder Garage

I am almost positive all Lithium cells come from China.
    EPA and all that make it not easy to make here.
    However ready for this... Some of the lithium itself comes from the desert out here in Ca / Nevada.

But with that said, some China cell makers are better than others..

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My next battery will come from antigravity on their lithium ion

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yuasa as far as batteries are concerned .......Mike ............PS, It did say it came with a 3 year guarantee !!!!![/QUOTE]

WHAT IS THE WARRANTY ON MY BATTERY TENDER® LITHIUM BATTERY?

Warranty Periods
    1) 0-12 months: Replace free of charge with original receipt.
    2) 13-24 months: 50% off MSRP with original receipt.
    3) 25-36 months: 35% off MSRP with original receipt.

That is a better warranty than any other Motorcycle battery that I have found.

Antigravity warranty
    TThe 3 Year Limited Warranty is on a pro-rated basis based from the original date of purchase. Only ONE battery replacement will be given under warranty.
    1-5 Months — Free Replacement
    6-12 Months — 75% discount from retail MSRP
    13-24 Months — 50% discount from retail MSRP
    25-36 Months — 25% discount from retail MSRP
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 03-16-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

So if they are producing the battery in this size i would have to imagine that spyders and motorcycles alike are using them. Normally they run pretty good tests on this kind of thing. Other than the weight difference are there other differences, lasts longer, or not as long etc?
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deltran's website advertises a significantly longer service life...

Spyder Garage

Smile Holding a charge

I believe that the Li batteriess will hold a charge longer. The one in my V-max dosen't see it's charger April to december and the Max dosen't get ridden that much.
    Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-16-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: left out a word
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default EarthX Battery

Excuse my bad english... I do my best...

3 years ago i bought an EarthX Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery and it's the better battery i ever own.

It's definitively expensive, but it's more than candy. That battery is warranty for 2 full years at 100%

They have a battery (ETX36D) what have exactly the same dimension than the original Spyder battery.

Check the specs. of that battery at
    http://earthxmotorsports.com

Why an EarthX lithium battery for your motorcycle? Take off up to 80% of the weight from a lead acid battery! Lasts up to 8 years! Can sit an entire off season if you have a bike that doesn’t have a draw on the battery like a dirt bike. Unfortunately, the bikes like a Harley Touring have a draw on the battery at all times so you will have to put it on a tender if you are going to let it sit for months. Super fast charging, 2 hours or less! Not to mention you’ll be the owner of the most advanced technology lithium battery on the market that is engineered and manufactured in America!

Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your English is okay...

Spyder Garage

FYI... Lithium "cell" makers do not usually make "batteries".
    So even if a USA company that makes batteries, they get the "cells" from China.
    Almost always (and I can say this with 99.9% accuracy) cell makers do not make batteries. Battery companies (China or otherwise) buy the cells and make the batteries. And TRUST there are many come and go battery makers using Lithium technology! They come and go like the wind!

I could go into this for days about how all this works... Good battery makers take cells and analyze them to get the cells to match each other for charging rate and discharge rate. Basically trying to "match cells" for the best performance and service.
    Matching cells is pretty important to a good "battery" life and service.
    Taking random cells and building a battery still works but this is where the problems come from.

Anyway... Just sharing info I know...

Again I would not put a Li-on let alone for sure not a Li-po in the Spyder.

FYI, LiFePO4 is yet another Lithium chemistry. It's kind of inibetween a Li-on and a Li-po.
    E.g. they have a higher discharge current rating than Li-on but not as high as Li-po.
    And being in-between, hazards of using them are in-between.

So you know... Your Laptop, Phone, and major commercial products use Li-on. They do not need high current draw.
    Things like RC Helicopter, Hover Boards, etc that you see far more fires on, use Li-Po.
    LiFePO4 is not that popular due to the external requirements to use them.
    Might be good for a MC though to be honest. I am not a LiFePO4 expert. All I can say is LiFePO4 is about 1% of Lithium battery sales across all markets / uses.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

FYI... Lithium "cell" makers do not usually make "batteries".
    So even if a USA company that makes batteries, they get the "cells" from China.
    Almost always (and I can say this with 99.9% accuracy) cell makers do not make batteries. Battery companies (China or otherwise) buy the cells and make the batteries. And TRUST there are many come and go battery makers using Lithium technology! They come and go like the wind!

I could go into this for days about how all this works... Good battery makers take cells and analyze them to get the cells to match each other for charging rate and discharge rate. Basically trying to "match cells" for the best performance and service.
    Matching cells is pretty important to a good "battery" life and service.
    Taking random cells and building a battery still works but this is where the problems come from.

Anyway... Just sharing info I know...

Again I would not put a Li-on let alone for sure not a Li-po in the Spyder.

FYI, LiFePO4 is yet another Lithium chemistry. It's kind of inibetween a Li-on and a Li-po.
    E.g. they have a higher discharge current rating than Li-on but not as high as Li-po.
    And being in-between, hazards of using them are in-between.

So you know... Your Laptop, Phone, and major commercial products use Li-on. They do not need high current draw.
    Things like RC Helicopter, Hover Boards, etc that you see far more fires on, use Li-Po.
    LiFePO4 is not that popular due to the external requirements to use them.
    Might be good for a MC though to be honest. I am not a LiFePO4 expert. All I can say is LiFePO4 is about 1% of Lithium battery sales across all markets / uses.

Bob
    That battery (EarthX) does not need any external requirements and is also certified for airplanes.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...