Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My MPG went up

Spyder Garage

Default octane versus alcohol

I'm more preferential to buying gasoline without the added ethanol rather than worrying too much about the octane level. As many have stated, they get by just fine with 87 octane.

Here in north GA I've got a bunch of stations on speed dial which have special pumps where, for a nice price increase, you can pump pure gasoline. I'll take that any time I can plan to need gas near one of those stations.

When on the road and forced to buy the ethanol crap, I pump 89 and say "screw it."
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

In Colorado regular is 85 Prem is 89. I run the 85 and never had any problems. Saww no difference on 85 and 89 other than price.

Spyder Garage

Alaska is easy. One refinery. It all comes from there. No ethanol added here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

After 15k miles down here in Southeast Georgia running mostly regular gas in my 13 RTL I developed a ping. Put premium in it today for a 200+ mile ride and the ping went away almost instantly.
    Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That shouldn't surprise you.
    The 991 series Vee-Twin has a 12.2:1 compression ratio. That's why they tell you to use 91 octane in it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took a ride up into Iowa over the weekend. In Iowa, out in rural areas you can get 87 octane with ethanol, 87 octane without ethanol or diesel. I ran 87 octane without ethanol. On my way back home on the interstate running around 75mph, I got a whopping 30 mpg. No shortage of power, just real low gas mileage.

Spyder Garage

I use 93 octane with a little Star Tron about every other fill up to help with the ethanol problem.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Ratings

I've tried a site for gas station in any state that covers the non ethyl stuff: real-gas.org. It'll list all stations carrying by the rating of the grades. There are maps attached also.
    2015 RT Limited, Baja Ron sway bar, Fred Reese lights, high and brake, comfort heated seat., skid pan, helmet locks, truck light , k&n air filter, fox shocks on frt.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STARTRON

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I use 93 octane with a little Star Tron about every other fill up to help with the ethanol problem.
    I also use STARTRON ( with 87 oct )...... but with every fill-up ........there is no carry-over for the effect. Also if you read the dosage and use their recommendation ......the amount you ADD per fill-up is ONLY a few drops ....like 1/2 of a small eye-dropper......A 16oz. bottle lasts for years at that rate, using more doesn't improve the ratio......ie, if an engine ideally burns 91 octane using 105 is a total waste.......jmho.........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been using any of the Top Tier available brands of gasoline here. I can't find any 91 octane fuel where I live. We have 87, 89 & 93 octane only. In order to get 91 octane here, you'll have to go 50/50 mix blend using 89 & 93 octane gas on fill ups. To much hassle so I use 93 octane and ride the Spyder. Consistently average 38 to 42 mpg.
    Cheers!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)