Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My MPG went up

Spyder Garage

Default My MPG went up

I read somewhere that the regular gas might be a lot fresher and give better mpg.
    I use Cheron the station closest to my house is always busy they sell a lot of gas but maybe just not high test. I have tried the lowest price at otherCheverons same results better MPG.
    I am not educated on gas qualities but maybe someone will chime in if there is a
    difference on fresh and old fuel. Kenn

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default old vs. fresh

Octane will diminish over time.......but it takes about 30 days or more.....and the drop isn't dramatic........I find it hard to believe the gas at a Gas Station could be even close to that old.................I think if they sold that little gas they would go out of business.....JMHO....Mike

Spyder Garage

Fuel over 90 days old will lose a little Octane, but the real culprit is eventual evaporation and varnishing begins to take place. After 6-9 months is where the real damage occurs and clogs Fuel injectors and muck's up Carburetors with varnish. For those of you who store over the winter I would recommend draining the fuel and when refilling use a good brand of Fuel Injector/Carburetor cleaner for the first tank or so. Follow the directions!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

High octane prevents pre ignition in high reving engines, low grades of fuel while not good for certain engines has more BTU and will always give better fuel economy and power in the appropriate engine.

Spyder Garage

Anyone else runing 87 occtane?

Spyder Garage

93 from Sunoco in the bikes. (unless it is a road trip emergency.)

Spyder Garage

I have always put 93 octain in my bike. BRP recomends running 93.

Spyder Garage

Default 87 Octane

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    I have for 18,000 miles and my 1330 loves it.......I do add a tiny amount of Startron to every fill-up, to cancel the Ethyl.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default REALLY - 93

Quote Originally Posted by Deecheff View Post
    I have always put 93 octain in my bike. BRP recomends running 93.
    Interesting ....in my Owners Manual it says 91 Octane ( for 2014 RT ).........Mike

Spyder Garage

Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Propane

New,fresh gasoline has propain gas in it. It's not added but it evaporats first. It is highly useful in starting any ICE motor. Ever open a sealed, well closed gas can??? Hear that rush of pressure as you open it. Propane.

Fresh gas has it, stale, old gas does not. Good idea to buy fuel from a high volume station.

Stale fuel causes:::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Anyone else runing 87 octane?
    Run it all the time with no problem. Talked with the lead mechanic at the dealership and he said us 87 and that anything else was just a waste. Ran some 91 fo a while to see if it helped the gas mileage but it didn't

Spyder Garage

Default To be clear on 87 octane

So the manual indicates to use 91 octane and many of you are using 87 octane? Are those who are using the lower octane sense any hesitation, pinging, or any other negative indications? 18k using 87 octane gas is alot of miles. i have observed that if a vehicle call for 91octane and use lower octane; i get worse gas mileage.

Spyder Garage

Default 87 OCTANE

Quote Originally Posted by Bobleach45 View Post
    Run it all the time with no problem. Talked with the lead mechanic at the dealership and he said us 87 and that anything else was just a waste. Ran some 91 fo a while to see if it helped the gas mileage but it didn't
    .....and as I said in my post # 8, I have 18,000 + miles. Lots of people here have lots of anecdotal theories and of course some go by the BRP Kool-Aid thing............I may be the only one who has actually done some real world testing on whether you need 91 octane or not.......It came out .....NOT.....PS , I average 39 MPG on 87 ...I apologize to everyone I have now offended ..........................Mike ...................PPS, If you are Drag Racing run 91 Ethyl-free and at least 5 tanks prior so the system can adjust ......JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1330s will actually run on almost anything that they can get to burn... The computers will do what is necessary to prevent the lousier fuels from hurting the engine. They'll retard the timing, and probably diddle around with the injectors as well.
    But ANY 12:1 compression engine will run better, and more efficiently on the fuel type that it was designed to use.
    I use 93 octane as well; there's nobody around me that sells 91...

That being the case:

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I run 93 octane in my , just because it does't have ethanol in it. And it never hurts to go by the manufacturers recommend info. On octane. The no ethanol is just my preferance.

Spyder Garage

Default What a dyno says about fuels

I have paid for countless dyno runs in setting up street and racing cycles.
    On a motor putting out about 100 hp, FRESH 87 octane gas from a busy gas station ALWAYS nets 5hp more than 93 Octane pure FRESH gas.
    The reason to go with pure gas at 93 octane is combustion temperatures drop about 15 degrees over 87 cotane.
    Cooler temperatures equal longer engine life which is why Can-am wants higher octane. But in a water cooled engine with the latest high volume upper cylinder oil cooling, there is no wrong choice.
    Always good to have an octane thread to give us something to take our minds off winter.
    Dennis

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ethynal

[QUOTE=kbwitt;1102867]I read somewhere that the regular gas might be a lot fresher and give better mpg.
    I use Cheron the station closest to my house is always busy they sell a lot of gas but maybe just not high test. I have tried the lowest price at otherCheverons same results better MPG.
    I am not educated on gas qualities but maybe someone will chime in if there is a
    difference on fresh and old fuel. Kenn[/QUOTE

I'm stuck running 91 with 10% ethynal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I am on the road in rural Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, I fill up with whatever is available because walking along the side of the highway sucks. I stopped thinking about gas mileage when I got rid of my Harley. I now just look at the gas gauge and stop when I need gas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't mess ,BRP recommend 93.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    I don't mess ,BRP recommend 93.
    ..No it doesn't........Mike

Spyder Garage

Even if you use 93 Octane watch the gas you use. I get better performance with Sunoco, Shell and Exxon if I can and I try to use about a oz of StarTron at each fill up an old HD rider suggested that. He used it last year when he took his HD from NJ to Alaska and back with no problems. I'm sure there are other products that work just as well.

Spyder Garage

I just retired from hauling gas in the NE Florida/SE Georgia the past 10 years. Brand doesn't make much difference. Here in Jacksonville a ship will pull into one distribution terminal and unload then move up the river and deliver to another terminal. We only have one name brand distributor here and that's Marathon. But all the BP gas came from Marathon. All the rest comes from one of the other no name distributors. Additives are fed into the gas during loading depending on brand.
    I've been running 93 since I bought my 13 RT but I have run 87 and didn't see and performance difference.
    I had no idea about the about how it worked till I started hauling gas.
    Just my two cents
    Pat

Spyder Garage

I am not educated on gas qualities but maybe someone will chime in if there is a difference on fresh and old fuel. Kenn
    Fuel sold in the US has ethanol (unless specifically marked as non-ethanol) in it. Ethanol will start to separate from the gasoline fairly shortly after being added and will not recombine. If there is any condensation in your tank, the ethanol will separate from the gas and combine with the water. So, you are better off getting gas from a station that has a high turn over of fuel. If the place you are getting fuel from has just one hose for all octane levels you are probably going to get about a gallon of 87 even if you buy the 93 because you get the last bit of what is in the lines from the last guy's fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ...For those of you who store over the winter I would recommend draining the fuel and when refilling use a good brand of Fuel Injector/Carburetor cleaner for the first tank or so. Follow the directions! Jack
    The issue with draining the fuel is that the metal surfaces of the tank will suffer from condensation. The more area that is not filled with fuel, the more area that is subject to corrosion. The recommendation from Yamaha (and probably most other brands) is to add a fuel stabilizer to a fresh tank of fuel before storing it. If you can get pure gas (non-ethanol) for that tank you can avoid the phase separation issue.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default From the fuel truck driver

Another note..... phase separation is an issue with all ethanol gas. It's supposed to be checked by the delivery driver before he drops fuel into the tank but drivers get in a hurry and don't always take the time. Knowing what I know I try to always buy fuel at a busy station.
    Pat