Spyder Garage

Default Sena Bluetooth Configuration

I've seen quite a few threads the past few days with people who seem to be having the same issue that we had when we first got our Sena20s. The intercom will cut in and out to the point of not being usable when talking to a passenger. If you ride alone everything works great. Here are the steps I took over the last 6 months to fix. We have a 2014 RTS with the SM10 dongle installed in the frunk connecting to a pair of sena 20s headset units.

1. Reset all configurations and update to the latest firmware on all devices. Currently the Sena 20s is at v1.6 and the SM10 is at v1.1 firmware versions.
    2. Placed a support ticket with Sena. This is the slow piece, as they typically respond every 3-4 days. But in order to get the unit replaced you have to open a ticket and go through the steps. (Sorry no shortcut here)
    3. After 3 back and forth emails with support verifying that I had done the firmware updates and setup correctly they issued a return authorization and replaced my defective unit.
    4. Once i had good units, I setup with the Sena desktop app, which is quite easy and user friendly.
    5. We noticed that the feature on the Sena that will lower the volume when switching between either GPS or intercom seemed to be causing some issues with ours. Cutting in and out, and poor quality of audio, so we turned it off.
    6. I make sure both units ares et the same also, it seems to help especially when your looking at the Audio Multitasking features

From the factory the two 20s units are paired together so that is all set, I then paired my 20s to the dongle (Hold pairing button for 4-5 seconds on dongle), then I pared my 20s to my iPhone. I then paired my wife's 20s to the dongle as the second unit (hold the pairing button for 11 seconds or so) then paired her 20s to her iPhone. I use my iPhone as my Gps so I can hear that if need. We can both communicate to each other with one touch of the jog dial, and we can either listen to the music from the bike through the dongle or through our individual iPhones. At the end of last season we finally had things working well and I went from hating the Sena to just being mildly upset with it for being broken from the factory and having to waste all of my time troubleshooting it.

I know how frustrating it is getting them setup, and if I can help anyone out I'm happy to just PM me. There are many others here too that helped when I was tryng to get mine setup. Finless Bob and Motorcycle Dave were both a huge help in getting me on the right track to figuring things out.

Here is the snapshot from the Sean app of how our units are setup and seem to be working fine now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brentc; 03-13-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Do you have to touch the jog dial each time you want to talk to passenger or driver? For example, listening to radio thru spyder then you want to say something, do you first push dial and then other person has to push theirs to respond?

Spyder Garage

Default Sena Bluetooth

Thank you for taking the time to put together step-by-step instructions. I received my 20s dual pack about 10 days ago. One of them is not working properly. When Sena eventually gets around to replacing it, I will follow your instructions. I don't want my wife to get frustrated with technology that is difficult to use, so this should be a bit help.

<RANT> Now, if I may, I will say a little more about Sena. Many people who use these products have jobs. These jobs help us to purchase Sena's products. Thus, the only time we have to install and troubleshoot our new Sena products is evenings and weekends. And, by the way, when it is nice outside, we want our stuff to be up and running so we can be riding and using our hundreds-of-dollars-worth-of Sena products. It would be nice if Sena would offer better hours for customer support (currently Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Pacific Standard Time). Those are not customer support hours. Those are company convenience hours. Considering how many people have mentioned having problems with their new 20s units, you would think they would take a good look at their customer service department and step it up a bit. Also, what they call "Forums" is nothing more than a few already-answered questions. There is no option to interact with others or get questions answered by their techs. Thank God we have SpyderLovers forums!<END RANT>

Again, Brentc, thanks for saving us new Sena 20s users hours of trial-and-error setup time.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default We do use the Jog Dial to initiate communication

Quote Originally Posted by rugerbear View Post
    Do you have to touch the jog dial each time you want to talk to passenger or driver? For example, listening to radio thru Spyder then you want to say something, do you first push dial and then other person has to push theirs to respond?
    I initially tried the voice prompt without much success. We actually found that touching the jog dial was easy enough for us, so it was one less thing I had in the equation of what might be messing up the setup. Not to say that if you get it all working to your liking, you could add on different things one at a time and see how it goes. I may do that this year with teh GPS navigation, especially for trip to Spyderfest.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

All of my problems with the 20s' went away after moving the dongle to the rear trunk. However, the Sm10 dongle still seems to show two issues occasionally. One is that it will sometimes not connect to the bike audio. It does always connect to my phone. The simple solution is to use the switch on top to turn it off, then back on. It connects immediately. The second issue is related to the first. After a few times doing this, it still seems to have trouble connecting. That seems to be the cue to give the battery a full charge. Even though the unit is powered by the bike, my guess is that constant use will only provide power and not much extra to keep the battery charged. After a full charge, no problems again for awhile.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugerbear View Post
    Do you have to touch the jog dial each time you want to talk to passenger or driver? For example, listening to radio thru spyder then you want to say something, do you first push dial and then other person has to push theirs to respond?
    My wife and found that touching the jog dial was the best way to work this, when we had it set up to VOX, the wind noise (even though you couldn't hear it when using the intercom) kept the intercom active all the time and we could hear music.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

One tip to tweak and do things fast without hooking the 20S to your PC.

If you have a smart phone (Android or iPhone) install the Sena APP!

So much easier to change settings on BOTH headsets this way....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have the SM10H in both helmets and a SM10 dongle with an iPod connected in the back for music. The SM10 is connected with the wiring harness into the radio. Getting them connected worked ok, but when I turn off the bike, and the helmets, dongle, iPod are still on, there is a low volume static. There is no music as loss of power to the iPod, I'm thinking. When the bike totally shuts down, it goes away. Any suggestions?

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Odd that you disabled audio multitasking. I found that to be one of the BEST features for moving up to the 20S from my previous Sena headsets. That along with the noise cancelling I can carry on a conversation and have the music playing. The music fades back when my wife speaks. No reason to press buttons at all. It just works.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes, I just ordered a 20S

Hope it's not defective. Thank you for the tutorial.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default FM on 20S

Do you use the dongle for anything other than AM? I don't have a dongle, don't even try to hear the Spyder radio, and am hoping to get FM reception from the 20S.

Looks like I'm going to have quite a learning curve with the 20S.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    All of my problems with the 20s' went away after moving the dongle to the rear trunk. However, the Sm10 dongle still seems to show two issues occasionally. One is that it will sometimes not connect to the bike audio. It does always connect to my phone. The simple solution is to use the switch on top to turn it off, then back on. It connects immediately. The second issue is related to the first. After a few times doing this, it still seems to have trouble connecting. That seems to be the cue to give the battery a full charge. Even though the unit is powered by the bike, my guess is that constant use will only provide power and not much extra to keep the battery charged. After a full charge, no problems again for awhile.
    2019 Black F3-T