Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth helmet

Looking to buy 2 bluetooth helmets but not spend a fortune. Can anyone recommend decent helmets? Would like to be able to communicate through the helmet but also listen to different music then my passenger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure what a fortune is to you but it's a lot easier to add bluetooth to an existing helmet that you already own. Sena makes agreat system that works well. We use them with our smart phones for separate music and bike to bike communication. http://www.motorcycledave.com/sena-headsets/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Then there are these, not a recommendation just an example.http://www.cyclegear.com/lp/bluetooth-helmets
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-13-2016 at 01:57 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth helmet

Here are two you can use I own the Torc "Rebel Star" and enjoy using it. I have no issues with it at all.
    I also have a friend that uses the Bilt techno and he loves it. I never had good luck with adding Bluetooth to a helmet.
    I never liked the finish product. IE. Look and feel of all the added stuff to my helmet. I hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IROO8DQ/...WTOBSLXM&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s

One nice thing about adding a Bluetooth to a helmet, is that you can remove it and move it to your next helmet. I just moved my wife's and my units to,our new helmets and took the first test ride yesterday. Love it. The Sena allows for connectivity to your bike, as long as you have the Bluetooth module fr the bike, you can also right out of the box connect the 20s to you smartphone and communicate with each other within no additional cost. I would recommend trying that first to see if that is enough. In our case I would probably have done that and have Been happy.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I got a BT helmet in 2010. It was around $200 at the time. Cheap and noisy helmet. BT worked decently and with my wife getting a matching one later we could even get .25+ mile range between them. Mine started acting up and had weird electrical noises from time to time. It would also auto connect to my wife's when I got close, interrupting her music, and that created frustration (for her) and I saw that as a distraction, safety issue.

We got a Scala G9 set about 1.5 yrs ago. It is amazing. BT to 2 devices plus paring with other G9s.
    I don't keep music on my phone and only stream so lately I've been using the built in FM radio.
    I can listen to the radio and Google Maps Navigation will chime in with directions and then go back to the radio.
    Voice commands are pretty handy. I just click the button and speak a command.
    Auto volume control based on background noise is a nice bonus.
    I don't particularly like the mounting and the Sena is a little more streamlined but I do not regret the purchase one bit.
    Expensive but we use them any and every ride so it will easily pay for itself over a few years.

I considered the Schuberth C2 and comm system but just doesn't fit my head shape.

Robert

Spyder Garage

Default I would recommend this, works good and not too expensive,

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Idk about the Bluetooth helmets but everyone I've talked to says that it's not worth it because once you hit highway speed the sound becomes distorted and cuts out. However aside from one small issue I'll mention in another post, I absolutely love it. Bought a set for me and the wife and at a 400 price point they're a little expensive but now I have blue tooth in every helmet I own and going on the third year with them they work fantastic still abs are crisp clean and great sounding even at 80 with no real windshield!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    Idk about the Bluetooth helmets but everyone I've talked to says that it's not worth it because once you hit highway speed the sound becomes distorted and cuts out. However aside from one small issue I'll mention in another post, I absolutely love it. Bought a set for me and the wife and at a 400 price point they're a little expensive but now I have blue tooth in every helmet I own and going on the third year with them they work fantastic still abs are crisp clean and great sounding even at 80 with no real windshield!

Which bluetooth set did you invest in?

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The sena 10

Spyder Garage

Another thing about the add on Sena bluetooth units is you can have multiple helmets and have the mounts on each one and the main unit can be moved over in seconds.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should really shop for a helmet that fits you properly first, then work on a com system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 10c

I have the Sena 10c and now know that Lamont's wife Joan has one too. You can see the Sena 10c in action from a clip that Joan has posted on Facebook about F3 Turbo concept.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't like the look of a BT/mic unit stuck on the side of my helmets. I like the fit and comfort of Nolan's and have a Trilogy 43 and an N-91. Their com devices fit flush to the helmet. They are proprietary and they aren't cheap. They pair fast and stay paired. The type of helmet and its construction dictates a lot toward how much road noise is audible. I've never had an issue with the wind or other noise interfering with the performance of the headsets.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    You should really shop for a helmet that fits you properly first, then work on a com system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Exactly - helmet fit is the most important thing. The best helmet for one person can be the most uncomfortable for another. There is no one "best helmet"

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

i have three TORC with the bluetooth built in and they were cheap. T12B DOT and ECE certified and best part is the built in sun visor They have a newer T14B too. i have ZERO problems with music or GPS at highway speeds, can always hear it and sounds fine. You can both listen to your own phones and the music cuts out when you want to rider to rider and comes back on when you turn it off. The rider to rider is another story. At above about 25-30 it doesnt really work. However my main point of having the rider to rider is to say should we go let or right here, or do you need to take a break etc. to a fellow rider or passenger and you can do that at stop lights or low speeds just fine. The price is right and not having a big unit attached to the side of the helmet is a big plus for me. However if rider to rider at any speeds is what you want then add on Sena or something is the way to go.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

I use the Sena 10u's which are very nice and completely hidden in the helmet, but they are only made for the higher end helmets - Shoei, Schuberth and Arai. Mine is in a Shoei Neotech modular.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I use the Sena 10u's which are very nice and completely hidden in the helmet, but they are only made for the higher end helmets - Shoei, Schuberth and Arai. Mine is in a Shoei Neotech modular.
    Will have to look into this one. Don't really like the appearance of the microphone hanging from the helmet. No issues with noise at high speeds?

Spyder Garage

sof23: Well like anything in the helmet depending on how quiet the helmet is (faceshield down, etc), wind, windshield position, etc. there is some noise but it is VERY usable. I've had phone conversation and intercom conversations at speed with no problem. My only hesitation, and this is probably for a generic BT thing, is there are connectivity issues. The 10u, like the 20 allows 2 phone connections and I currently have a phone, SR10 (for FRS 2 way and Ham) and GPS and sometimes things don't connect or sync properly but if you're going simple with say just phone or GPS it's pretty solid. I've even had people say on other end of phone at 75 mph they could hardly tell I was on BT let alone a bike. When a loud Harley passed me they did hear that though. So if you have one of the supported helmets I would recommend. Only other thing with them is the handlebar remote won't work on left side with SE6 but I solved that by using their wristband remote - I've got posts on that.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet FIRST

Agree totally with buying the helmet first. Each brand is shaped a little different. Plan on walking around the store for at least a half hour to get the true feel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Another thing about the add on Sena bluetooth units is you can have multiple helmets and have the mounts on each one and the main unit can be moved over in seconds.
    That's what we do. We have cradles for our scala G9 units on both our full face helmets and on our half helmets. I'd recommend Sena these days, but at the time we bought the scala units 3 years ago we thought we'd use more of the features than we did.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Sena

I love my Sena 10 Unit. Contact motorcycledave and you won't go wrong. He is sponsor on this site. My brother has the Sena 20 and loves it as well. By brother, my wife and I can all talk together and listen to different music at the same time. I also bluetooth to my bike. Had mine for three years now with no issues.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

Went to check out the sena smh10 today. Seemed like a nice set. Will look further into it. Thanks for all the feedback!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bell

Bell Mag-9 (open face) and Bell Qualifier Clutch (closed face) helmets now have an integrated port for Sena SMH10's. Quite sleek IMO. I have the Sena on a regular mount with my Suomy full face and now have an additional Bell - they both work great.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow