Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dongle

Spyder Garage

Default Dongle

I was wondering how many people have the dongle and what I really want to know is how many of you have it installed in the frunk? Also, has anyone had it in the frunk and had problems and then moved to the back one? We are only having problems with the reception when we are using intercom between us as driver and passenger. If alone the reception is great. Which doesn't make for a good time riding together. It was suggested to move it to the back trunk.

Spyder Garage

Mine is in the frunk and I have no problems with it either single or dual
    Last edited by nakerr; 03-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Are you using the Sena 20s

My wife and I had same issue. My sm10 is installed in frunk, unit was defective and then also need to make sure everything is at latest firmware, and settings are configured correctly. The Sena app on the computer works quite well for setting the units up. I'd be happy to send a screen shot of the configuration we used to see if that helps? The firmware is a big part of it, make sure it's all updated.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have had problems and am still having problems. Sena exchanged the units (SM10 & both SMH's) and I still have the same problem. If the SM10 is on, the drivers headset and passenger headsets distort when in intercom mode about every 10 mins or so. They will be distorted for about 20-30 secs then clear up. Then do it again about every 10 mins or so. My SM10 is installed in the front. Reception is not an issue...but distortion is very much so. My dealership thinks it could be the wiring harness. It's very irratating to the degree that when I have a passenger on board I just turn the SM10 off. If I'm riding alone, it's not an issue. It's only a problem for intercom between driver / passenger. That's my problem and I would love to discover a solution...this has been an issue ever since I got it. :-(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rtlister; 03-12-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have mine mounted in the trunk and never had any problems. Now I am going to expose my possible ignorance here but I thought the SMH10 headsets B/T paired to each other for intercom.If that is so why do you need the dongle at all?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    My wife and I had same issue. My sm10 is installed in frunk, unit was defective and then also need to make sure everything is at latest firmware, and settings are configured correctly. The Sena app on the computer works quite well for setting the units up. I'd be happy to send a screen shot of the configuration we used to see if that helps? The firmware is a big part of it, make sure it's all updated.
    thanx for this post / reminder
    I purchased a sm10 plus 2 smh10 headsets and have not updated them yet
    I going to do so
    a screenshot would be great
    PM sent
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have mine mounted in the trunk and never had any problems. Now I am going to expose my possible ignorance here but I thought the SMH10 headsets B/T paired to each other for intercom.If that is so why do you need the dongle at all?
    it's to "pipe" the RT's audio system to the headsets wirelessly...
    music and additionally in my case, the built in zumo gps that comes with the limited...Motorcycle Dave sells a kit with the SM10 and a custom cable to connects the unit to the bike and it comes with instructions on how to plug it all in which is easy to do

the sm10 receives the music/audio and Bluetooth's it out for the headsets to pick it up

if all you want/need is intercom, then it's not needed...the headsets talk to each other all alone

thanx for asking us all...my Dad preached that the only stupid question is the one not asked
    Last edited by PatriotRider; 03-12-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

You need the dongle so both headsets can listen to the radio system :-)

Spyder Garage

Also, I believe that your GPS talks to your headset directly as well (without the SM10). I think I'm right about that. The SM10 just sends the radio system to the headsets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    Also, I believe that your GPS talks to your headset directly as well (without the SM10). I think I'm right about that. The SM10 just sends the radio system to the headsets.

The sm10 sends all the audio from the radio to the headphones, so when the gps is routed through the radio, it sends the gps signal to both headsets as well. IMHO that is a better arrangement than sending the gps bluetooth directly to the headset. I have had some issues, but Motorcycle Dave is doing his best to help me get it worked out. He is a great guy to work with.

Spyder Garage

I have the dongle in the frunk and have no intercom interference although that's with other riders and not a passenger as I ride solo almost exclusively.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the answers guys. And Mike thanks for the PM. A previous post brought up the idea of making sure the firmware is up to date. I installed my SM10 and SMH 10 nearly a year ago. Should I be checking periodically to see if I still have the latest and greatest?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Default Yes on firmware updates

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. And Mike thanks for the PM. A previous post brought up the idea of making sure the firmware is up to date. I installed my SM10 and SMH 10 nearly a year ago. Should I be checking periodically to see if I still have the latest and greatest?
    I have only had mine for about one year as well, and there have been 3 updates to the headsets and 1 update to the dongle since then. I must say that it gets a little better with each update. There have also been 3 desktop application updates that make the software more user friendly as well. The down side of the updates is that you may have to reset your settings after applying, but honestly after doing them so often trying to figure it out, I can do them in my sleep now..
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    The down side of the updates is that you may have to reset your settings after applying, but honestly after doing them so often trying to figure it out, I can do them in my sleep now..
    You darn betcha! But I still have to write them down. PM me if you want to know what I found with SMH10 Firmware v5.1 and my Zumo 590.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    it's to "pipe" the RT's audio system to the headsets wirelessly...
    music and additionally in my case, the built in zumo gps that comes with the limited...Motorcycle Dave sells a kit with the SM10 and a custom cable to connects the unit to the bike and it comes with instructions on how to plug it all in which is easy to do

the sm10 receives the music/audio and Bluetooth's it out for the headsets to pick it up

if all you want/need is intercom, then it's not needed...the headsets talk to each other all alone

thanx for asking us all...my Dad preached that the only stupid question is the one not asked
    Where do I find Motorcycle Dave to see about this kit?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default Right on the home page

Check the the home page where the vendors are all listed. He's there.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Where do I find Motorcycle Dave to see about this kit?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default DONGLE

I have had problems and am still having problems. Sena exchanged the units (SM10 & both SMH's) and I still have the same problem. If the SM10 is on, the drivers headset and passenger headsets distort when in intercom mode about every 10 mins or so. They will be distorted for about 20-30 secs then clear up. Then do it again about every 10 mins or so. My SM10 is installed in the front. Reception is not an issue...but distortion is very much so. My dealership thinks it could be the wiring harness. It's very irratating to the degree that when I have a passenger on board I just turn the SM10 off. If I'm riding alone, it's not an issue. It's only a problem for intercom between driver / passenger. That's my problem and I would love to discover a solution...this has been an issue ever since I got it. :-(

We have had the headsets replace three times and the dongle now once. Still having the issue with having intercom and music. The music stutters. We are going to try moving to the back trunk. After that it will be a return completely.

Spyder Garage

Cool DONGLE

Hello everyone, we moved the dongle from the front trunk to the back. Low and behold, we have GPS, Radio, our sirius satellite radio and cell phones. The 20's system is working exactly as it is supposed to. (fingers crossed not to jinx it) The units pair pretty much immediately and music plays thur both headsets. Intercom works exactly right. When one of us speaks, the music dumbs down and when the conversation is over it goes back to the volume setting we are listening to. The GPS gives driving instructions to both of us since it is running thru the radio system bluetooth. And we each have our own cell phones for calls. Running the cable from the dongle in the back trunk to the radio that sits under the passenger hand grip is hundreds easier than all the way to the frunk. Can Am needs to change their instructions. It seems to have eliminated all the issues we were having. Thank you for all your input. Thank you Motorcycle Dave for talking to me and advising us to do this.

No more headaches and that pain in the neck when the expensive units were giving us fits. On to happy trails. We are ready to ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Installed dongle in the trunk

I had installed the radio cable and dongle myself. I decided the trunk was a much better location for ease of install (initially installed on our 2012 RT and transferred the original cable/dongle to our 2014 RT) . We have had it in that location for about three years with great success. We have had very few issues with the bluetooth dongle and headsets! Use them on every ride!

For ease of access to the dongle, I mounted it to the trunk lid - see photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 03-20-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

+1

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
    Mine is in the frunk and I have no problems with it either single or dual

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk dongle

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    +1

AJ
    I have heard lots of people say theirs is in the Frunk with no problems. We had it there with nothing but problems. I wasn't always holding the pairing, then using it with two lost the reception from the radio or satellite we have attached. Drove us nuts. Motorcycle Dave suggested moving to the trunk in back. We weren't sure that would help since it worked ok with one helmet. Strange issues. As a last stitch effort before returning all the equipment we moved it to the back. It is working perfectly exactly right. I only posted since other people seem to have the same problems we did and I wanted them to try the back if they hadn't yet. I have no explanation why it is working. All I can think is the engine interference is not there since the cables go to the back. The radio is closer to the dongle so the signal is stronger? Very hard to figure. I am just happy it is fixed and working. And I am happy for everyone else with it in the back or the front that have working unit. Life is good.

Spyder Garage

Did you move it to the rear trunk (yourself) or did you have a Can Am tech do it (dealership)? Your fix seems simple except that I wouldn't begin to know how to move it and make connections. I'd love to try this (move my SM10 to the rear) to see if that fixes my problems.

Spyder Garage

I had missed your earlier post (and pics) ...I see now where you did the install yourself. I'm not sure I would know how to do this install on my own. How difficult is it? Steps?
    Last edited by rtlister; 03-21-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Did you move it to the rear trunk (yourself) or did you have a Can Am tech do it (dealership)? Your fix seems simple except that I wouldn't begin to know how to move it and make connections. I'd love to try this (move my SM10 to the rear) to see if that fixes my problems.

It really is quite simple to move and if you go to MotorcycleDave's website he has a video which shows you how.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI