Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for Trailer to haul my ST Limited

I have a 2013 ST Limited that I want to tow from FL to WV. I'm looking for a trailer, not too costly but one that I know my Spyder will travel safely on through the mountains of NC, Va and WV. I know nothing about hauling my Spyder so your help and advise is greatly appreciated. I have a Jeep Cherokee that will be pulling the trailer. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Spyder Garage

Default How much trailering will you be doing?

If your only going on one trip, then you might want to look into u-haul or a similar rental. If your looking to buy a trailer, I would recommend taking your spyder to a reputable trailer dealer and see what they recommend. Size would need to be at least 6 x 10, but 6 x 12 would give a Little more room. Also the angle of the ramp needs to be taken into consideration so as to not scrape the nose when driving on. You would want to check your owners manual for the proper tie down and loading method. I have an aluminum 7 x 12 and it has a drop down rear tail gate ramp. Works great use it all the time. I outfitted it with tie down points and can load up pretty quickly.
    Good luck.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response Brentc. I am looking for something to haul my Spyder a couple of times each year as I am back and forth between WV and Fl as the seasons change. Great point on the drop down ramp. Good to know!

Spyder Garage

Default U haul

I'm guessing for a couple hundred bucks a year you could rent one each way, versus a couple thousand to purchase. Just a thought? If you rented the first time or two it would also give you a better feel for things you would want if you do purchase your own. I know I use mine a lot for other stuff and wouldn't be without one.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Just came back from Daytona I bought a aluma tk1 . a little pricey. But it pulls great 525 lb .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james danny View Post
    Just came back from Daytona I bought a aluma tk1 . a little pricey. But it pulls great 525 lb .

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Appreciate any and all help!

Spyder Garage

If you have a place to store a trailer your lucky. I have to store mine in a self storage unit exspensive. Just something to think about they are big and take up space.
    I myself like to owen over rent, one reason can set it up for your bike and put perment tie downs and wheel chucks. Open style easy to pull closed hard to pull and mpg drops big time.
    Kenn
    Last edited by kbwitt; 04-09-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RunSharon View Post
    I have a 2013 ST Limited that I want to tow from FL to WV. I'm looking for a trailer, not too costly but one that I know my Spyder will travel safely on through the mountains of NC, Va and WV. I know nothing about hauling my Spyder so your help and advise is greatly appreciated. I have a Jeep Cherokee that will be pulling the trailer. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I bought a 5 x 10 utility trailer with a dove tail. This allows me to put the spyder right on the trailer. I use 2 6ft 2x8 for front wheels so that the front end starts raising before the nose hits. I put them about 1\2 way up the ramp. I have found these trailers around $600. $1200 new. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

I picked up a 6x10 aluminum trailer this spring. Paid $1400 for it, but it'll do everything I'll need a trailer for, and won't rust, and is lighter than steel is. Might have to use it for Spyderfest if mother nature keeps this crap up.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I borrowed a 6x10 alum a craft my friend has and it hauled great. It had a drop down tailgate but not long enough so I used a couple of car ramps to extend it and used a 2x12 for the center wheel to get it on. Worked out well and if you find a good used one for sale you can always have an extension added to the gate.

As for Uhaul I looked into those and what they have are not wide enough in the back inside the posts to get the Spyder through.

Spyder Garage

I would personally recommend an enclosed trailer for many reasons. 6 X 12-14. Theft, Road grime and debris. You can also use it for a garage for the Spyder and keep a light bulb inside for moisture and heat in the winter. For $1000 more the benefits are endless.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I bought a 61/2 X 12 landscape trailer for my RT, it works great and with the extra front gate I can get a two wheeler on it too.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Kendon is working on a trailer for the Spyder. Well built and made in USA.

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/tr...cycle-trailer/
    lighting - electrical - tutorials @ Electrical Connection

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfan64 View Post
    I bought a 5 x 10 utility trailer with a dove tail. This allows me to put the spyder right on the trailer. I use 2 6ft 2x8 for front wheels so that the front end starts raising before the nose hits. I put them about 1\2 way up the ramp. I have found these trailers around $600. $1200 new. Hope this helps
    5 x 10......5 ft. wide = 60 inches ....an RT can't fit and it's almost impossible for a GS/RS...........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tailer

I picked up a used 5X8 flatbed. Moved the tiedown points. Then then cut a 1X6 at a 45° angle with a 2X4 on top for a 4in tall stop. 3 ratchet straps run through a 1.5in radiator hose about a foot long to protect the straps and wheels. 3 ramps from Lowe's. Total cost $550.00. Been to Iowa once, Kansas another time. Total miles so far 1200+.
    Last edited by Questions; 04-10-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling.

Spyder Garage

I utilize a 6X10 utility trailer with a drop gate which works great. Plenty of room and loading & unloading is a breeze.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You!

For all the great ideas and suggestions, I am appreciative!

Sharon

Spyder Garage

Legend makes a good covered trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RunSharon View Post

If you drive a full size pick up truck it will fit in the back. Just brought a 2014 RT-SE6 from New York to Michigan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have an Aluma 7710 and it works great for hauling my spider. If I'm going on a long trip and uncertain of road conditions I'll take my 7x19 legend explorer enclosed. It also works as storage for my toys when garage space is being used for other things
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Will not work

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I'm guessing for a couple hundred bucks a year you could rent one each way, versus a couple thousand to purchase. Just a thought? If you rented the first time or two it would also give you a better feel for things you would want if you do purchase your own. I know I use mine a lot for other stuff and wouldn't be without one.

The opening on the back end of the trailers at Uhaul are not wide enough to get a Spyder through. I looked into those last year. A friend has an Aluma Trailer that works great and I we take him and his wife out for dinner when we use it.

Take a look at a new post today about an Aluma trailer in Northeast Alabama that just went on for sale in this forum.

Spyder Garage

Default We use a Droptail for our 2014 RT

I don't have an ST Limited, however, we use this to haul our 2014 RT Limited...fyi:

We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer.

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 05-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james danny View Post
    hhmmm...the ramp was not an issue? I just looked at a tk1 today and didn't think the nose would clear. Any thoughts or fixes?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Tk1

Quote Originally Posted by garyleblanc1 View Post
    hhmmm...the ramp was not an issue? I just looked at a tk1 today and didn't think the nose would clear. Any thoughts or fixes?
    Thanks
    I have a tk1 and the nose of my 16 limited clears. Great trailer. Hisst
    If you are burning gas and killin bugs you must be havin a good time

Spyder Garage

Default trailer choices

Jim,

How does this pull ? Do you think a Honda odessey would have an issue ? Without trying to get to personal , I priced this one out, looks like under $4000 ? I like this one and there is another company that has one for a Spyder and says it is so light you can use a small car to pull it, but it was about $5000 with shipping, very cool fiberglass parts on it........Thanks for the post

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs