Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New oil recommendation from BRP

Went to the dealer to get their"special oil".
    Seems they have different recomendation now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That does not seem to meet owner's manual section on requirements of oil.

??????//strange
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

So how much is it? I need new oil in the next couple of days.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

I still use either Amsoil or Spectro Gold. Its not really any cheaper than the BRP oil but I can get it at the local bike shop (within 5 miles of my house). The dealership is 25 miles away.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    I'd sure like to see it in writing. Dealers will say anything to sell what they have on the shelves.
    -Scotty

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

And.... it is a BLEND......not pure...
    Really strange.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I still use either Amsoil or Spectro Gold. Its not really any cheaper than the BRP oil but I can get it at the local bike shop (within 5 miles of my house). The dealership is 25 miles away.
    Big fan of Spectro been useing it since dirt bike days with still usin BRP oil not given these guys (BRP) any chances during warranty period

Spyder Garage

I order BRP oil off internet parkeryamaha.com and have it delivered to my house. 5-w40 for spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I aslo use the Spectro Gold. It's like $13 something at CycleGear about 5 miles from my house. It's 100% synthetic.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'd sure like to see it in writing. Dealers will say anything to sell what they have on the shelves.
    -Scotty
    It says can Am Roadster on the label.
    I can read it from here.

it sells for 9.49/ quart less 10% for being a good buyer
    Also comes in a gallon 38.99 (which is more)

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It says can Am Roadster on the label.
    I can read it from here.

it sells for 9.49/ quart less 10% for being a good buyer
    Also comes in a gallon 38.99 (which is more)
    Smokster sent me a blown up picture so I could read the label through these bifocals. It does say it is recommended for the Roadster. Now if they will just issue a service bulletin with the revised recommendations, so that the owners and dealers actually are all on the same page. Not sure of the advantage, except maybe cheaper than BRP's full synthetic. A blend meeting that spec in another brand could be even more scarce than the full synthetic 5W-40s without friction modifiers are.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If it wasn't bad enough that owners could not agree on what oil to use in the Spyder, now BRP can't even agree on what oil to use.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went to my dealer a few weeks ago to pick up a quart to have on hand and they told me that BRP changed to 1 type oil for all their items. They have 2 blends a summer and a winter but the same oil is used for everything or atleast their ATV's and Spyders

Spyder Garage

I was at my dealer yesterday to pick up oil and parts for my 9K change. The parts manager said that BRP was changing the Spyder oil and that when they ran out of the full synthetic in stock that BRP was coming out with a semi synthetic for the Spyder. It was nice to see a picture of it as my dealer had none in stock. Castrol and Havoline both make a 5w40 full synthetic that does not have an SM rating. Ryde Safe and Enjoy
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    I went to my dealer a few weeks ago to pick up a quart to have on hand and they told me that BRP changed to 1 type oil for all their items. They have 2 blends a summer and a winter but the same oil is used for everything or atleast their ATV's and Spyders
    Sounds like BRP will try to make up lost income from selling cheaper blended oil by trying to get us to make oil changes seasonally in addition to mileage.

Spyder Garage

maybe just a marketing ploy to advertise different oil weight for the summer?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Same story here. A summer and a winter blend. One is all synthetic and the other is a blend of synthetic and dino. They even recommended the blend for new spyders until they were broken-in.

Juice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    Same story here. A summer and a winter blend. One is all synthetic and the other is a blend of synthetic and dino. They even recommended the blend for new spyders until they were broken-in.

Juice
    All vehicles, that I know of, are suppose to use "regular" oil until broken in. Seems the synthetics are too slippery.....

If we can make oil why in the hell are we in Iraq!!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    All vehicles, that I know of, are suppose to use "regular" oil until broken in. Seems the synthetics are too slippery.....

If we can make oil why in the hell are we in Iraq!!!
    Not the Spyder, they say they use the same oil as specified during break-in, despite the fact that they specify changing it at 600 miles. They do things differently in Quebec.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    If it wasn't bad enough that owners could not agree on what oil to use in the Spyder, now BRP can't even agree on what oil to use.
    Brilliant! LOL.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone seen this in the form of a service bulletin yet?
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    Brilliant! LOL.
    Ain't it the truth.
    Juice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's been about a week now and have not heard any confirmation of BRP officially changing the oil spec for the Spyder. I see the Spyder listed on the new syn blend bottle, but the Operator's Guide says full syn. Dealers can say the new blend is the right oil, but BRP needs to clear this up with a service bulletin. Getting close to Spring oil change time.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    It's been about a week now and have not heard any confirmation of BRP officially changing the oil spec for the Spyder. I see the Spyder listed on the new syn blend bottle, but the Operator's Guide says full syn. Dealers can say the new blend is the right oil, but BRP needs to clear this up with a service bulletin. Getting close to Spring oil change time.
    I certainly agree. Checked with my dealer last week, and he hadn't even heard about the new syn-blend oil. Guess they still have a stock of full synthetic. We joked about how it was a good way for BRP to get out of warranty claims...require synthetic oil in a certain weight, but offer only a blend, and in two weights. Meanwhile, the search goes on for someplace to buy 5W-40 Castrol. BRP, if you're listening, you need to clear this up ASAP!
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I certainly agree. Checked with my dealer last week, and he hadn't even heard about the new syn-blend oil. Guess they still have a stock of full synthetic. We joked about how it was a good way for BRP to get out of warranty claims...require synthetic oil in a certain weight, but offer only a blend, and in two weights. Meanwhile, the search goes on for someplace to buy 5W-40 Castrol. BRP, if you're listening, you need to clear this up ASAP!
    -Scotty
    Looks like Castrol R4 Superbike 5W-40 synthetic might be the same as BRP syn oil, but can't find any dealers who carry it. I have heard for 20 years since I bought my first Sea Doo that Castrol makes BRP oil, but can't get anyone to confirm. I guess it doesn't matter if you can't get the Castrol product. I do see it listed on some web sites for $10-$11 a quart, so it is cheaper than BRP syn oil.