Thread: Tire mounting?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire mounting?

The local can am dealer (also a Harley dealer) charges $100 per tire to mount a new tire. That is for the front. I was afraid to ask what they charge for the rear. Any ideas on how the get it done cheaper?

Spyder Garage

Default Just paid 120

Just paid 120 for a rear install. I feel your pain.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Any place that does cars or pk-ups can mount and balance front tires......They can also do rear tires -- you must remove the sprocket and sometimes the hub........very very few can balance rear ( I don't and it works fine without - rear only )...........NO-ONE but a dealer or you are going to remove any wheels/tires from the Spyder....don't bother asking.......................Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82009 View Post
    The local can am dealer (also a Harley dealer) charges $100 per tire to mount a new tire. That is for the front. I was afraid to ask what they charge for the rear. Any ideas on how the get it done cheaper?
    Well, that's insane. I just pulled both of my front wheels yesterday and took them to my local tire shop with my own tires and got them mounted and balanced for 30 bucks total. There's nothing special about doing the fronts.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

As noted above, cos the rims & tires the Spyder runs are by 'everything but branding' a car tire combination, just about any auto tire dealer should be able strip & fit the front wheels and if they've got the right fittings for their balancing machines (the centre hole in the Spyder rim is apparently small & not commonly available at all but the best dealers!?!?) they should even be able to balance them!! Obviously this might not have much bearing on you'all in North America, but here in Aus, a strip & fit plus balancing for 2 Spyder front wheels would also generally cost maybe as much as $30 total, & quite likely be done for nix if you bought the tires from the dealer too.

Oh, a car tire dealer might want to have a low height floor jack handy too, the car lifters that many tire dealers use can sometimes make lifting a Spyder a bit fiddly - altho if they try/make a little effort & run the Spyder right up to the front of the lifting plate, then use a couple of 4" tall blocks up front under the suspension arms & make sure the rear tire is on the plate & chocked, that'll generally work too!! A low profile floor jack under the front/centre frame spar will just make it easy for those who aren't talented enough or just can't bother to work out how to get a 3 wheeled vehicle onto a rectangular lifter....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone above has you covered. Just to add a few personal experiences...
    -A tire shop may get funny about the fronts if you tell them they are for a spyder. Tell them they are off a smart car.
    -the rear can be balanced just like any other wheel if you completely strip it down and remove the bearings from the wheel. It fits on the balancer once the bearings are removed. Personally, I'm doing the bearings with every tire. They are cheap and easy.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk