Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice Needed: Aftermarket Seats on STL

I am posting this in the ST forum because I am looking for some advice that is specific to my 2013 STL.

Last week I received my new Midrider Ultimate seat. It puts me closer to the front, but it is the longest reach that Ultimate offers. It may not be a problem for most people, but now that I have had a few nice days to ride I have discovered that it is causing me a lot of knee pain. I never had this problem with the stock seat.

Ultimate has agreed to take the seat back. BTW, it's a happy/sad situation because it is a lovely seat.

I don't want to go back to the stock seat because of the forward pitch. But I will use it until I find a suitable replacement.

Not wanting to make the same mistake again, can anybody tell me if the Corbin seat would cause a similar situation? Or, are there any other seat manufacturers that I should consider?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry....

I have an RS and added the Comfort seat. This gave me a couple inches back and works out great. The passenger looses a bit but wife loves the higher seating. Most seats I've seen do move you back giving you room to slide up and back for comfort. I will now let the ST folks tell you how it is......
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default No problem . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have an RS and added the Comfort seat. This gave me a couple inches back and works out great. The passenger looses a bit but wife loves the higher seating. Most seats I've seen do move you back giving you room to slide up and back for comfort. I will now let the ST folks tell you how it is......
    Now that I have your attention

I have read other posts that suggest the Comfort seat isn't very comfortable. As one who owns a Comfort seat, what do you think?
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Not a spring chicken myself with little padding left in the posterior I find it quite comfortable. Have done a couple 800 mile trips without a problem . I have back issues and limited use of the right foot yet the seat works for me. I have only the original to compare with so I can't say some of the others are not just as good or better for you. If you can find a group of spyders I'm sure there will be an array of seat they might let you sit on....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ill be getting my Corbin Lamonster cut seat in tomorrow. Ill let you know in a week or so how I like it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    I am posting this in the ST forum because I am looking for some advice that is specific to my 2013 STL.

Last week I received my new Midrider Ultimate seat. It puts me closer to the front, but it is the longest reach that Ultimate offers. It may not be a problem for most people, but now that I have had a few nice days to ride I have discovered that it is causing me a lot of knee pain. I never had this problem with the stock seat.

Ultimate has agreed to take the seat back. BTW, it's a happy/sad situation because it is a lovely seat.

I don't want to go back to the stock seat because of the forward pitch. But I will use it until I find a suitable replacement.

Not wanting to make the same mistake again, can anybody tell me if the Corbin seat would cause a similar situation? Or, are there any other seat manufacturers that I should consider?
    Sorry to hear that! I have the same seat and it did not move me closer at all. It is waaaay more comfortable than the stock limited seat and I love the backrest. My wife also finds the back seat to be far more comfortable. We can ride all day without discomfort compared to the stock seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I have a stock seat on my 2013 ST-L and would love to be able to move back a bit also. Looking forward to seeing what options people give you and what you wind up doing.

Can you post a picture from the back? It looks like the passenger back rest is incorporated into the seat. Did you have to add the sport rack or is it still the same as stock?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Russell Day Long custom seat... Using your measurements and photos on your machine they'll make a seat that is perfect for your size and weight. I got one for my STS and I LOVE it!!!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try giving The folks at Russell a call...
    While I've not dealt with them personally; I've never heard any complaints, from folks who have.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lousd1 View Post
    I have a stock seat on my 2013 ST-L and would love to be able to move back a bit also. Looking forward to seeing what options people give you and what you wind up doing.

Can you post a picture from the back? It looks like the passenger back rest is incorporated into the seat. Did you have to add the sport rack or is it still the same as stock?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I think this seat is beautiful and looks great on my STL. The driver backrest is removable, and the passenger backrest is attached. I don't have a sports rack or Can-Am passenger backrest. I will add a pic from the back this evening.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

.... It puts me closer to the front, but it is the longest reach that Ultimate offers.
    Have you tried it without using the backrest ?

Its strange you find it moves you closer. The Ultimate Mid-Rider on my STS is extremely comfortable and I quite often flip the backrest back out of the way.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Have you tried it without using the backrest ?

Its strange you find it moves you closer. The Ultimate Mid-Rider on my STS is extremely comfortable and I quite often flip the backrest back out of the way.
    I rode a couple days with the backrest; yesterday and today without. For me, it's a little more comfortable without, but still not good.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Give me a call

Give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00am to 8:00pm
    pacific time.
    I have been building custom seats for 40 years
    I think I can cure your problem and save you
    a bunch of money
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I Called Motorcycle Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00am to 8:00pm
    pacific time.
    I have been building custom seats for 40 years
    I think I can cure your problem and save you
    a bunch of money
    Dave
    Dave invited me to call him, so I did.

For 23 minutes, Dave gave me advice on how a motorcycle seat should be built how to find someone who can do it for me. He told me why some seats hurt my knees and what I can do to correct the situation. Instead of saying, "Ship it to me," he said to take it to someone local and save the shipping costs.

Now I would like to nominate him to be president of the United States! He gets my vote, and, in the future, he will get my business.

All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I got the Corbin seat on saturday. The gas door hinge was broken, and it had a tare on the front edge. I sat on it and it did seem like it was about an Inch forward. But after I got it locked in the front my knee was at the same point as it was with the stock seat. I could tell that it would feel better after it broke in. That seems to be what alot of Corbin owners say. I boxed it back up this morning to send it back along with the smuggler trunk. It will have to get re painted because they painted it matte Instead of glossy.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I got the Corbin seat on saturday. The gas door hinge was broken, and it had a tare on the front edge. I sat on it and it did seem like it was about an Inch forward. But after I got it locked in the front my knee was at the same point as it was with the stock seat. I could tell that it would feel better after it broke in. That seems to be what alot of Corbin owners say. I boxed it back up this morning to send it back along with the smuggler trunk. It will have to get re painted because they painted it matte Instead of glossy.
    Sorry to hear you had trouble with your new Corbin seat. I was hoping it would go well.

After I get my refund from Ultimate, I am going to go a different route. Motorcycle Dave offered some advice that should help with my situation. Both he and I are a little beat up from accidents, and he had good insight on how seating position causes pain. Tomorrow evening I will meet with an old friend who is an upholsterer. I will see if we can work together to make a seat that will be right for me.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

John,
    I have the ultimate tall boy on my RT LTD and find it very comfortable.There is a custom seat guy in our area,he is in Pottstown area near Leisure World off of 724.His web site is Buxs customs,click on motorcycle seats,he has done custom can am seats.I just had him redo my wifes seat for her Honda and she loves it.Only thing is he is running 4-6 weeks out to complete.You will see why when you see his work.Just another option for you.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    John,
    I have the ultimate tall boy on my RT LTD and find it very comfortable.There is a custom seat guy in our area,he is in Pottstown area near Leisure World off of 724.His web site is Buxs customs,click on motorcycle seats,he has done custom can am seats.I just had him redo my wifes seat for her Honda and she loves it.Only thing is he is running 4-6 weeks out to complete.You will see why when you see his work.Just another option for you.

Steve
    Steve,
    Thanks for the advice. I may check him out if my other contact doesn't pan out. My friend is just south of Coatesville, so he's a little more convenient for me.

Just wondering, how many Spyders are in Parkesburg? I'm in the township, but I see a black ST (or RS?) on 1st ave. Not many others.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a Corbin with about 40,000 miles on the ST....gas door has always functioned properly....I have the seat moved 2inches forward....and heated.....I'm short.....love it

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your new Corbin seat. I was hoping it would go well.

After I get my refund from Ultimate, I am going to go a different route. Motorcycle Dave offered some advice that should help with my situation. Both he and I are a little beat up from accidents, and he had good insight on how seating position causes pain. Tomorrow evening I will meet with an old friend who is an upholsterer. I will see if we can work together to make a seat that will be right for me.
    I have a 2014 STL and ordered the Ultimate Seat and had the same problem you did. It puts you about an inch and a half closer even tough they say it doesn't. They did refund the purchase price less the shipping both ways so it was still a bit costly.

I went with the Corbin Lamonster Cut. Another mistake. It also puts you closer but at least Corbin admits it. I do like the fuel door so I'm keeping the seat. I have also talked to Dave, great guy and in fact, I'm calling him today to order a hand brake and a few other things. I will be having him modify the Corbin to move back about an inch as that's all the Corbin base will allow.

You are on the right track to have a custom seat made or modified and in the long run, probably won't cost you anymore.

Spyder Garage

It turns out the locally made custom seat well cost me about half of what a Corbin or Ultimate would cost. I can pick out materials, stitching, patterne ... It will be made on my seat and have the look and feel I want. The added bonus is that it will be shaped so it doesn't cause me any pain. Good luck with your choices!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It turns out the locally made custom seat well cost me about half of what a Corbin or Ultimate would cost. I can pick out materials, stitching, patterne ... It will be made on my seat and have the look and feel I want. The added bonus is that it will be shaped so it doesn't cause me any pain. Good luck with your choices!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Just to wrap up my own post:

I purchased a used STL seat on eBay for $50; about $75 with shipping. I'm sending it to the upholsterer so I don't have to stop riding while my new seat is being built.
    I decided to go with a BRP backrest for my wife. I paid $300 for a used rack and backrest. I work at at a Career and Tech school, and the Auto Collision teacher is going to paint it to match my Black Currant Spyder.
    I am not going to install a driver backrest. If I feel I need it later on, I can add it myself. I have done some research, and now that I know how they are installed, I don't think it is beyond my ability to do the job. I will have to buy the backrest and build some mounting brackets, but it can be done by a crafty person.
    I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a Givi top box that will complement my stock Givi saddle bags. I can mount it to the Sports Rack lid and have extra storage (with a built in backrest for my wife) when we do longer trips.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Now that I have your attention

I have read other posts that suggest the Comfort seat isn't very comfortable. As one who owns a Comfort seat, what do you think?
    I have had three BRP Comfort Seats. 2009 RS, 2011 RT, and 2014 RT-S. All were improvements over the OEM mush seat. I can ride all day on the comfort seat compared to 50 - 100 miles on the mush special. Less cost than Corbin or other aftermarket seats. Also improved seating position for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-23-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket Seats

Been following this thread because of my own discomfort. I've been riding for over fifty-five years and have decided I need another wheel. This is my first three wheeler. Love the stability and braking. However, when someone asks how I like it, I have to admit it is the most uncomfortable "bike" I have ever owned. I have only had it for about three weeks/500 mi. But I think I have figured out the problem. Posture. The seating seems to throw me into the bars like a "crotch rocket". Is there a way to lower the back end of this thing without shelling out what seems to me to be ridiculous money on a seat that may or may not solve the problem. I want to sit in it not on it. It is a 2013 ST SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Custom seat for 2013 ST LTD

I tried the Cam Am Comfort seat did not like it at all. I bought a russel Day Long custom seat. Sent it back to get reworked/adjusted after I got it and now its perfect. I'm 6'4" have long legs the seat is great. They worked with me on getting it just right. well worth the money. Worked with the seat builder to get just perfect. Also they give you like 2-3 months to use it and adjust it. Don Sed.