Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wire harness

I'm getting ready to head out next week for the Bayou, and my brother has made an adaptor so I can hook up the lights on my Leesure-Lite camper. But he checked the outlet on the Spyder and it's only putting out 2 volts. He says it should be 12. Does anyone have any ideas?

(We checked it with the engine on and off.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 03-10-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Double check your meter. Could just be a display or setting issue if it is a multi meter

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VOLTAGE CHECK

Just a thought......unplug the secondary harness ( the one to the trailer ) and check voltage coming thru the OEM plug ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just a thought......unplug the secondary harness ( the one to the trailer ) and check voltage coming thru the OEM plug ......Mike
    Thanks, Mike. That's what he did. It's 2 volts coming out of the OEM plug.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 VOLTS ????

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Thanks, Mike. That's what he did. It's 2 volts coming out of the OEM plug.
    .......Well if the BRP harness is only sending out 2 volts......maybe that's all you're supposed to get Did He check all the hot leads on the OEM plug and I would ......PM " Billy Bovine " and get His take on this....Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'm getting ready to head out next week for the Bayou, and my brother has made an adaptor so I can hook up the lights on my Leesure-Lite camper. But he checked the outlet on the Spyder and it's only putting out 2 volts. He says it should be 12. Does anyone have any ideas?

(We checked it with the engine on and off.)

Thanks.
    Well, a couple of questions come to mind -
    You didn't mention if you had actually hooked up the trailer yet and determined if the trailer lights do or don't work. Is this the first time trying to use the harness? In other words, did it ever work?
    Is it the BRP harness or another after-market one?
    Is your brother using the ground pin in the plug for his reading or is he going to frame ground? He needs to use the plug ground.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-11-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......Well if the BRP harness is only sending out 2 volts......maybe that's all you're supposed to get Did He check all the hot leads on the OEM plug and I would ......PM " Billy Bovine " and get His take on this....Mike
    Yes he checked them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, a couple of questions come to mind -
    You didn't mention if you had actually hooked up the trailer yet and determined if the trailer lights do or don't work. Is this the first time trying to use the harness? In other words, did it ever work?
    Is it the BRP harness or another after-market one?
    Is your brother using the ground pin in the plug for his reading or is he going to frame ground? He needs to use the plug ground.
    It is the OEM, not aftermarket. He is using the ground pin and not the frame.

We have to move things around in the carport and will test it with the trailer today. I've had the hitch/harness for a couple years and used it fine with the 622 trailer.

I'll let you all know how it went after we've hooked up the trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trailer lights work when hooked to the car, but not to the Spyder. I called Pitbull's and they said it is probably a bad module. So now I must decide to try taking the trailer with me without working lights, or just leave it at home and stay at hotels, instead of camping.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm. We don't often hear on here about modules going bad on their own since the last time they were used. Do you have time to get it replaced before you go? Warranty?

As far as using the trailer without lights - with all the different state laws about trailer lights, especially brake lights and license plate lights, I guess I would end up leaving it home if it was me. But then, I like hot showers and king beds too much anyway.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-11-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I don't see any mention of checking the fuse or I missed it. According to your manual it is fuse number 4 in the right fuse box. It will be a 10 amp.

If that's not it then I would agree it is likely a bad module. A new module can be ordered from BRP and it is plug and play. The only talent needed is to be able take the panels off to switch it out. If you know someone with good automotive wiring skills. A new module could be bought from a well stocked auto parts store or trailer store. The connectors cut off the old module and put on the new one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hmmm. We don't often hear on here about modules going bad on their own since the last time they were used. Do you have time to get it replaced before you go? Warranty?

As far as using the trailer without lights - with all the different state laws about trailer lights, especially brake lights and license plate lights, I guess I would end up leaving it home if it was me. But then, I like hot showers and king beds too much anyway.
    I'm not sure of the laws, either. I'll probably leave it at home for this trip.

I checked at Pitbull to see if I could get it fixed there on the way to La. But they can't. I'll have it checked at the dealer at the rally and it will be ready for the next trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I don't see any mention of checking the fuse or I missed it. According to your manual it is fuse number 4 in the right fuse box. It will be a 10 amp.

If that's not it then I would agree it is likely a bad module. A new module can be ordered from BRP and it is plug and play. The only talent needed is to be able take the panels off to switch it out. If you know someone with good automotive wiring skills. A new module could be bought from a well stocked auto parts store or trailer store. The connectors cut off the old module and put on the new one.
    Thanks for your reply. We may check the fuse before I leave Sunday. If not, I'll have it looked at at the rally dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default trailer module

I have had two bad BRP modules replaced by the dealer. I finally fixed the problem by putting in a unit I bought from a trailer dealer ,and running new positive and ground connection from the battery. I have two differed trailers I pull with my 2014 STS and no more problems.
    Allen