Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Keeping Accountability on the Way To Spyderfest

So, this won't seem like a spyder themed post at first but bear with me.

About three years ago I bought a brand new spyder, the first real motorcycle ride that I've ever been able to take and I've never looked back. I was roughly 22. At the time I was probably around 300-310 pounds. I was big (as I have been most of my life) but I could manage. This year, as we approach our first trip to spyderfest (Something I've wanted to do since it was in my backyard in Cuba) I realized that as I stepped on the scale I was over 360. Now at 6'3 I carry my weight fairly well but the fact remains that with that much weight, and couple it with the fact that my wife is also a little bigger, we realized that riding the spyder isn't quite as comfortable as it used to be and one major factor I feel is our size.

at that point I'd said enough was enough. I decided that since I had some time I was going to take a chance and try and get into a better shape before Spyderfest. Since we're looking at about 8 weeks from now. My gaol is simple I want to drop back under 300 pounds by the time we reach springfield. So wth that said, we started a diet I've dropped about 10 pounds on my way and joined a gym earlier this week. So, in closing, hopefully when I get to meet so many of you wonderful people for the first time I'll be the big guy, whose a little smaller then I was to start.

And yes, Riding and This rally, were two of the biggest causes to me doing this in case anyone does ask lol.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RS - WEIGHT CAPACITY

First I commend you on this endeavor and am hoping you can get it down to something that is Healthy for you........It is very stressful so take it slow........If you have an owners manual you really need to take a look at the LOAD capacity of your Spyder......if you don't you could get yourself into a heap of trouble......This is meant only to help you....................I wish you and the wife all the BEST.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the choice that you've made...
    So with nothing but admiration in my heart; I say...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your decision and good luck to you and your wife!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know your progress!
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Congrats and best of luck! Trust me as a first time attendee at Spyderfest it will be worth your effort.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Good on you and your wife

See you at Spyderfest
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

yesterday i decided i was a little larger than i have been in a while and also decided to drop a few pounds, its amazing how 260# can creep up on you and then all the sudden slap you in the face, keep up the good work !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Weight is more of a problem than most people think. (diabetes, heart, sleep apnea, etc.) I think we order to much or listened to our Mothers tell us to clean our plates before we leave the table. And then there is comfort food. We are the most overweight Nation in the World. I don't have all the answers but commend you for trying.

Diets never worked for me but portions (no bigger than your fist) has. Good luck and never, never give up!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

GO-GO-GO !!!

Stay strong and keep moving forward !!!
    I know its a tough personal challenge and commitment.
    As Bob Denman said, "Nothing but admiration in my heart" for you guys !!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got back from a Doctor's appointment... (At least I got to ride the Spyder out to it!)
    I'm now at 212 pounds, so I guess that I should try and drop about ten pounds also...

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations. ...l

There are a million diets out there and they all work for someone. Thing is they do not work for everyone as much as they would have you believe. You are going to make it and may find you can get back to your fighting weight once again. You may find this diet becomes stagnent, as most do, but that is where the challenge is. The only one I know that never fails is not consumming more than you can burn off in a day. Good luck your off to a good start....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I wish you both the best of luck, but it will be very difficult.

At the beginning of last Nov my doc said I was "pre-diabetic". 5'8" & 182lbs.

I have really struggled since then but am now 5'8" & 169lbs.

No fancy diet just cut out candy bars, cookies & jam etc on my morning toast. I'm also a coeliac, which makes it a bit more difficult. Some days I am weak & eat more than I should but I sure as heck don't want to go from pre-diabetic to diabetic.

Hang in there.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I wish you both the best of luck, but it will be very difficult.

At the beginning of last Nov my doc said I was "pre-diabetic". 5'8" & 182lbs.

I have really struggled since then but am now 5'8" & 169lbs.

No fancy diet just cut out candy bars, cookies & jam etc on my morning toast. I'm also a coeliac, which makes it a bit more difficult. Some days I am weak & eat more than I should but I sure as heck don't want to go from pre-diabetic to diabetic.

Hang in there.
    You either are diabetic or not diabetic. Pre diabetic is not a medical term, if so the entire population would be pre diabetic. Your numbers will tell you!

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 03-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

looking forward to meeting (less of you) there!

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I want to say thank you to everyone for all the kind words. I want to say thank you. I'll update everyone once a week as things progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You either are diabetic or not diabetic. Pre diabetic is not a medical term, if so th entire population would be pre diabetic. Your numbers will tell you!

Jack
    Yes it is Jack................they were talking about it on the news tonight....Dr Jon LaPook CBS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You either are diabetic or not diabetic. Pre diabetic is not a medical term, if so th entire population would be pre diabetic. Your numbers will tell you!

Jack
    A quote from no less an authority than the Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20024420

Definition

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Prediabetes means that your blood sugar level is higher than normal but not yet high enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Without intervention, prediabetes is likely to become type 2 diabetes in 10 years or less. If you have prediabetes, the long-term damage of diabetes — especially to your heart and circulatory system — may already be starting.
    There's good news, however. Prediabetes can be an opportunity for you to improve your health. Progression from prediabetes to type 2 diabetes isn't inevitable.
    With healthy lifestyle changes — such as eating healthy foods, including physical activity in your daily routine and maintaining a healthy weight — you may be able to bring your blood sugar level back to normal.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    First I commend you on this endeavor and am hoping you can get it down to something that is Healthy for you........It is very stressful so take it slow........If you have an owners manual you really need to take a look at the LOAD capacity of your Spyder......if you don't you could get yourself into a heap of trouble......This is meant only to help you....................I wish you and the wife all the BEST.....Mike
    Just keep in mind riding the spyder there is not a requirement
    We want all attendees there safe & happy for more FUN! WE wish you and the wife all the BEST Come & enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being "Pre-diabetic", is about like being "Pre-Pregnant"...

You either are; or you aren't!
    People playing games with medical terms really annoys me...

Spyder Garage

Default Inspired!

Thank You spyderrobinson for your message & I think you have already inspired several of us spyderlovers to eat healthy, lose a little weight, & live a healthier lifestyle. Looking forward to meeting you & your wife @ Spyderfest 2016 in April.
    2015 RTS Spyder, Intense Red Pearl, Baja-ron swaybar & links, Custom Dynamics trunk brake light, third & fourth brake lights from TricLED, Spyderpops bump skid, led lights on turn signals, Rear Elka shock, sheepskin seat cover & a new Black Freedom Trailer. We love our Spyder!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    People playing games with medical terms really annoys me...
    Even when it's medical people like the folks at Mayo Clinic?

What about the person who, about ten years ago, had a BG reading of 135? He was not diabetic on the day when the criteria was 140, but he was the next day when the criteria was changed from 140 to 126. Yet nothing changed in his body, right? Sleep apnea is defined as 15 breathing pauses of 10 seconds or more per hour. But can you really say the person who has 20 pauses of 9 seconds each hour does not have sleep apnea, and the person with 14 pauses of 20 seconds or more also does not?

At what point is your Spyder's rear tire flat? Only when it's finally down to 8 psi, or is it 4, or 2, or 0? When is it almost flat? At 15 psi, or 10? When you are dealing with definitions that are based on a sliding or analog value there really is no such thing as absolute yes or no. In pregnancy there is a cell mass growing and dividing or not, no in between. In counting pennies if you have 5 pennies in your hand, you don't have 6. No ifs and or buts about it. But if you just drilled a hole in a piece of metal is it round or oval if one diameter is 10 thousandths larger than another? You could call it oval and not round if it's .062 in diameter. But it would most likely be defined as round if it's 10 inches in diameter. There is no such thing as exact in variable measurements, only in discreet measurements.

Pre-diabetic is a perfectly good way to describe a condition that is approaching the threshold of the somewhat arbitrary diabetes definition.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know what it is when you see it...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Even when it's medical people like the folks at Mayo Clinic?

What about the person who, about ten years ago, had a BG reading of 135? He was not diabetic on the day when the criteria was 140, but he was the next day when the criteria was changed from 140 to 126. Yet nothing changed in his body, right? Sleep apnea is defined as 15 breathing pauses of 10 seconds or more per hour. But can you really say the person who has 20 pauses of 9 seconds each hour does not have sleep apnea, and the person with 14 pauses of 20 seconds or more also does not?

At what point is your Spyder's rear tire flat? Only when it's finally down to 8 psi, or is it 4, or 2, or 0? When is it almost flat? At 15 psi, or 10? When you are dealing with definitions that are based on a sliding or analog value there really is no such thing as absolute yes or no. In pregnancy there is a cell mass growing and dividing or not, no in between. In counting pennies if you have 5 pennies in your hand, you don't have 6. No ifs and or buts about it. But if you just drilled a hole in a piece of metal is it round or oval if one diameter is 10 thousandths larger than another? You could call it oval and not round if it's .062 in diameter. But it would most likely be defined as round if it's 10 inches in diameter. There is no such thing as exact in variable measurements, only in discreet measurements.

Pre-diabetic is a perfectly good way to describe a condition that is approaching the threshold of the somewhat arbitrary diabetes definition.
    Well put.

But I don't suppose Dr Denman or Dr jaherbst will agree. They both seem to be in an argumentative mood.

I have sleep apnea & use a CPAP at night. Maybe they will dispute that medical opinion as well. Too much time on their hands.

I hope the OP is successful.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 03-11-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate for words
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Well put.
    But I don't suppose Dr Denman (MD, failed, Bombay) or Dr jaherbst (MD, failed, Calcutta) will agree.
    I don't know about Jack; but after 51 years of being a Type I diabetic; I think that I know just a little bit more about it, than some "armchair quarterbacks".

The term "Pre-diabetic", is a lot like saying that someone, "has a touch of sugar".
    Do you REALLY know what that means?
    It means that they aren't yet willing to admit what is coming next.
    The problem with denying the existence of diabetes, is that it delays getting the proper treatment for it.