Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST Limited dies at stop light and won't restart.....

I just purchased a 2013 ST LIMITED in Decemmber. t has about 4800 miles. One two separate occasions (January and then again this evening) it has just died at a stop light. Will be running fine and I stop at light then when start to go it dies. It will not let me shift to neutral nor will it start and I have foot on brake. I turn the key to off, move kill switch to off position, remove key, let it sit a minute and try again to start. After doing this for a while it finally just starts and shifts itself to neutral and off we go. There are no error codes. Any ideas as to why this happens and how to fix
    Last edited by Ohmy; 03-09-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it still under warranty?

CHECK the oil, following the owners manual instructions which are clear as mud, don't forget to do the hokey pokey.

low oil has caused my gearbox some confusion.

other cause could be battery, a search on here will give you tips on checking. My 13 ST is on a tender between rides...

I must say I'm a believer in checking the easy things before I go near a dealer... Nb by "I" I think I mean husband ..

two other clues- many of that model have an issue where the brake light stays on once bike stopped, I was quite paranoid in checking and wiggling the pedal if lights stayed on. Clue 2 is that it is easy when spyder is new to you to accidentally have foot touching brake pedal which sometimes ends up giving limp home mode.

when the st first came to oz, many would stall just as you describe. We were all told 'they all do that' ,.. But I think a BUDS fix was implemented to the software.

hope one of these clues helps you.

Spyder Garage

No never heard of & hope to never have that problem. Being a Limited im guessing you have the SE5? That yes goes to N when you start the bike but finding N with engine off is big PITA. Off hand id guess low oil could be an issue but you would have shifting problems before, you came to stop light. Other thing is you sure your completely off the brake?
    Warranty check is suggested Best of luck to ya

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When it dies is it losing power at the display, showing a key fault, or just a stalled motor but the electronics are still live?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    When it dies is it losing power at the display, showing a key fault, or just a stalled motor but the electronics are still live?

There is no indication electronic issue. The engine stalls and I can't restart for a while. The first time it took about 2 to 3 minutes before I could start. Last night had to push over to side of road and took about 10 minutes before it let me restart

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Is it still under warranty?

CHECK the oil, following the owners manual instructions which are clear as mud, don't forget to do the hokey pokey.

low oil has caused my gearbox some confusion.

other cause could be battery, a search on here will give you tips on checking. My 13 ST is on a tender between rides...

I must say I'm a believer in checking the easy things before I go near a dealer... Nb by "I" I think I mean husband ..

two other clues- many of that model have an issue where the brake light stays on once bike stopped, I was quite paranoid in checking and wiggling the pedal if lights stayed on. Clue 2 is that it is easy when spyder is new to you to accidentally have foot touching brake pedal which sometimes ends up giving limp home mode.

when the st first came to oz, many would stall just as you describe. We were all told 'they all do that' ,.. But I think a BUDS fix was implemented to the software.

hope one of these clues helps you.
    Any particular tender used? Will check oil and battery. Thank you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    No never heard of & hope to never have that problem. Being a Limited im guessing you have the SE5? That yes goes to N when you start the bike but finding N with engine off is big PITA. Off hand id guess low oil could be an issue but you would have shifting problems before, you came to stop light. Other thing is you sure your completely off the brake?
    Warranty check is suggested Best of luck to ya
    I probably did not have foot all the way off brake....thanks

Spyder Garage

I agree... have it checked out. It sounds as though you purchased it used. If that's the case, do you know if it's ever had spark plugs replaced?

I have a '13 STS and it had been idling rough at stop lights, lurching forward, and on one instance, stalling. My dealership had done a total maintenance on it as part of the service schedule, which I believe included spark plugs, but it just wasn't running right. After researching I found out that the OEM spark plug wires are very finicky and may misfire if you move them around... say while changing the spark plugs, but not the wires. I recently just changed out my spark plugs and wires (from BajaRon) and it's running awesome now... none of those symptoms exist anymore.

I use a Battery Tender Plus (http://www.batterytender.com/Charger...derR-Plus.html) to keep my battery topped off. My machine was also prone to the break light issue mentioned... it would stay on after I get off the bike. Turns out the bump stop underneath the break lever arm (very easy to locate and fix) was too large. I cut it down in half (thickness wise) and no longer have the break light staying on issue. But it was a really easy way to run your battery down without even knowing it.

When it dies... does it choke or just shut down? There is also a tendency for oil to overflow into the Air Filter if it's overfilled, thus, choking the air when at idle. Remember to check oil levels when you're at operating temp, not cold.

This is frustrating, I know, but use your warranty and trouble shoot the logical causes. Best of luck!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmy View Post
    There is no indication electronic issue. The engine stalls and I can't restart for a while. The first time it took about 2 to 3 minutes before I could start. Last night had to push over to side of road and took about 10 minutes before it let me restart

OK, when you try to restart does it crank over? Does it try to start? Sputter? Does it only click when you hit the starter? Or is it dead completely?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    I agree... have it checked out. It sounds as though you purchased it used. If that's the case, do you know if it's ever had spark plugs replaced?

I have a '13 STS and it had been idling rough at stop lights, lurching forward, and on one instance, stalling. My dealership had done a total maintenance on it as part of the service schedule, which I believe included spark plugs, but it just wasn't running right. After researching I found out that the OEM spark plug wires are very finicky and may misfire if you move them around... say while changing the spark plugs, but not the wires. I recently just changed out my spark plugs and wires (from BajaRon) and it's running awesome now... none of those symptoms exist anymore.

I use a Battery Tender Plus (http://www.batterytender.com/Charger...derR-Plus.html) to keep my battery topped off. My machine was also prone to the break light issue mentioned... it would stay on after I get off the bike. Turns out the bump stop underneath the break lever arm (very easy to locate and fix) was too large. I cut it down in half (thickness wise) and no longer have the break light staying on issue. But it was a really easy way to run your battery down without even knowing it.

When it dies... does it choke or just shut down? There is also a tendency for oil to overflow into the Air Filter if it's overfilled, thus, choking the air when at idle. Remember to check oil levels when you're at operating temp, not cold.

This is frustrating, I know, but use your warranty and trouble shoot the logical causes. Best of luck!
    Yes I got it used. I am not sure about spark plugs. It is going in on Tuesday I will have them change because mine does the same thing with the idling.

And it juat stalla. It will be running and at a stop and when I go to go it juat stalls. Then about 5 to 10 minutes later it will start again.

I appreciate all the helo

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, when you try to restart does it crank over? Does it try to start? Sputter? Does it only click when you hit the starter? Or is it dead completely?

Dead completely no warning no nothing. Just dead.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 Limited RT does the same particuliary on rainy days. The problem was the kill switch.
    BRP changed it on warranty and no more problems since.

(Excuse my bad english, I'm usually speak french)
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    My 2013 Limited RT does the same particuliary on rainy days. The problem was the kill switch.

English is perfect. Thank you for the insight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first thoughts are either a bad battery or loose cable connections.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

My first thoughts are either a bad battery or loose cable connections.

............When you get a chance put STAR washers ( the ones with the teeth on the inside ) on the battery bolts, they won't loosen unless you do it .......Also No Error codes are going to come up if this is the issue..........Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post

Your English is perfect I was born and raised here and I still have problems Have a grate (see I did it again) great day or gr8 IDM (it don't matter) jtpollock
    Last edited by jtpollock; 03-10-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST limited that had the same problem. I took it to the dealer. They said there is a BRP tech bulletin to replace the purge valve. This took care of my problem. Have your dealer check to see if tech bulletins have been done to your bike. I hope this works for you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bueno View Post
    I have a 2013 ST limited that had the same problem. I took it to the dealer. They said there is a BRP tech bulletin to replace the purge valve. This took care of my problem. Have your dealer check to see if tech bulletins have been done to your bike. I hope this works for you.
    Thank you!!!!