Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh oh, I need help.

Trying to do to many things at once and had the bolts and sleeves that hold on the seat slip out of my hands and go into the void in the black plastic at the seat rear. I used a magnet and got the bolts out but can't get the sleeves. Does anyone know, are they perchance aluminum so a magnet won't work? If they are, any suggestions on getting at them, or should I buy new ones and let them be?

Thanks
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if they are magnetized or not but they make a tool that has grabbers on the end of it so you can fish for it like you would with the magnet. This must be the week for losing stuff down that hole, yesterday on Facebook someone lost a wrench while switching seats. Good luck.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default The claw...

auto parts usually have a long flex housing with a push botton top and a three prong claw that pops out the bottom for grabbing such things. This is what Ann mentioned above. florist clay on a flexable shaft will work also.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could put some tape sticky side out on a long stick or screwdriver.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Seats

Step one is cover every opening with blue painters tape! Those fasteners and sleeves DIVE into those holes with pin point accuracy! First time, I wrote it off as a fluke; one in a million shot. The next time, I realized BRP painstakingly designed the underseat area to make certain you will lose the bits! Uncanny, but, after about a dozen seats, painters tape has solved this little problem. To remove the seat is at your own peril! Beware! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Just orger new oness from your dealer. I lost mine down there too and never could get them to come back. They are pretty cheap. Oh an no they are not magnetic.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This happened to me with a nut today. Tried shaking the bike to free it up but that didnt work. Eventually I just rode it up my driveway, juicing the throttle a couple of times while my wife walked behind hoping to see the nut come falling out. That worked.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've learned the hard way to always stuff a rag into any of those openings, when working with small parts, because they suck any small item in, and, while BRP doesn't make this known, there is a tiny Black Hole sitting in there - once a part hits its even horizon, it is lost, forever, because it is transported across the universe to another galaxy.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is never fun...
    I've lost enough tools and parts to open up a nicely-equipped garage and parts store over the years, so I've kind of gotten good at looking for them.
    First: you need lots of light...
    An extra set of eyeballs is always a good thing also.
    If you can get someone to light things up, from up top; get down low, and use that vantage point, to see if you can find it. Remove the muffler if you can; it gives you more 'wiggle-room" up under the bike.
    Get one of those flexible "grabbers". The work better than magnets because they won't stick to all of the stuff that you don't want to try and pull back from the void.

Happy Hunting, and Good Luck!

Remember: this is all MUCH easier than picking the bike up, and shaking the Bejeezus out of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default And can you imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I've learned the hard way to always stuff a rag into any of those openings, when working with small parts, because they suck any small item in, and, while BRP doesn't make this known, there is a tiny Black Hole sitting in there - once a part hits its even horizon, it is lost, forever, because it is transported across the universe to another galaxy.
    Somewhere, in a parallel universe, a Sypder owner is wondering where the hell all these spare parts keep popping up from.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
    Where this hole is at the back of the bike I have few options. No way to look down it even with a mirror. I used a magnet and got the bolt, but not the spacers. I don't see a way of looking in there, or reviling that area without removing the hole rear assembly, and I have NO desire to do that.

So i will be purchasing a three prong grabber today to see if I can snag them, and I also ordered new one just in case I couldn't get them.

Do you think there would be any negative aspects of leaving them if I cant get them out? I hate rattles and that is one that I understand I would have to deal with, anything else?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose that there's a slim chance that it could end up dropping down and getting caught up in the drive
    belt...

But a HOST of bad karma would have to line up, for that to happen!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Covered UP

Fortunately I read this before taking the seat off to put a backrest on it. I covered it with black cut tape and didn't bother taking it off. Don't wee any reason it has to be open at all. That way I figure I'm always covered so if I have a Senior Moment I won't start something without covering it.

Spyder Garage

Not likely that you would have any issues leaving the nut it there - anyways I haven't with mine.

I also learned to cover the holes with blue painters tape (of course I had to drop a nut and two bolts into that black hole first)

For that square nut - in order to help keep it in the spot that I want so the bolt will easily line up I push the end of a plastic cable tie between the nut and the holder thus locking it in place and yet I can still move the nut if needed. Makes the job a lot easier!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue