Spyder Garage

Default parking brake pulley not lined up

It's a 2012 SE5. I'm getting ready to change rear brake pads for the first time. While I'm at it, is there a way to correct this situation, where my parking brake pulley isn't lining up with the cable bracket?

Last edited by Pappy John; 03-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I would make the appropriate bends to the brace to line it up. A cresent wrench tightened to the brace will let you bend it or if not handy that way have the dealer line it up. You don't want the cable hopping off at the wrong time.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BENDING THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I would make the appropriate bends to the brace to line it up. A cresent wrench tightened to the brace will let you bend it or if not handy that way have the dealer line it up. You don't want the cable hopping off at the wrong time.
    Before bending this .........I would want to know WHY it doesn't line up......Does it have marks indicating it was struck by something and is now BENT out of shape......or is the pulley mis-aligned for some other reason ???...............just a thought..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default PARKING BRAKE

The pulley appears to be very close to the bracket compared to what mine looks like ( 2011 RSS, SE-5 )...I have 1/4" to 5/16th" clearance there............I would check the Pulley position........I also checked if it mattered whether the brake was on or off.....it didn't..................Mike

Spyder Garage

The pads were pretty near gone. When I pulled the pulley off to get to the mounting bolts for the brake assembly, I turned the spline shaft all the way CCW (several complete revs) and it looks like it might line up now when I put it all back together. That assumes that with new pads in place I won't have to spin it back in CW too far to get the parking brake adjusted correctly.

This will be my 3rd set of rear pads in 11k miles. I think they rub all the time. I have to adjust that P-brake every 600 miles or so. I asked the dealership about it and they say nothing is wrong.

I don't think that bracket is bent. It looks fine and has plates welded at 90 deg to each other so that it would be darn near impossible to bend without major damage.
    Last edited by Pappy John; 03-08-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yep, now that it's all back together with the new pads the pulley lines up with the bracket.

Spyder Garage

Default POSTING REPLY'S

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy John View Post
    Yep, now that it's all back together with the new pads the pulley lines up with the bracket.
    I thought about thanking you for letting us know the outcome ...........but then I realized you aren't into the " THANKING " thing .....so I won't .................Mike

Spyder Garage

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Spyder Garage

I'd have to be taking a close look at your caliper,making certain that the slides were lubed properly and moved freely. Three sets of brakes in that few miles says that the caliper is not allowing the pads to withdraw from the rotor. Changed all the pads and I could have easily left them go another 10K; I currently have 17K on the original brakes. No i don't ride in a placid manner. I have never had to adjust the parking brake
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 03-08-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default RESPONSES

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
    I accept .............and your welcome ...........a simple press of the button in the lower left corner would have sufficed........Mike

Spyder Garage

The pads were pretty near gone. When I pulled the pulley off to get to the mounting bolts for the brake assembly, I turned the spline shaft all the way CCW (several complete revs) and it looks like it might line up now when I put it all back together. That assumes that with new pads in place I won't have to spin it back in CW too far to get the parking brake adjusted correctly.

This will be my 3rd set of rear pads in 11k miles. I think they rub all the time. I have to adjust that P-brake every 600 miles or so. I asked the dealership about it and they say nothing is wrong.

I don't think that bracket is bent. It looks fine and has plates welded at 90 deg to each other so that it would be darn near impossible to bend without major damage.
    .....? 3 set of pads in so few miles & dealer says nothing wrong?! Not right Id demand a second opinion & quick. If your going to spyderfest ask Pitbull to take a peek to be sure either your driving like a teenager hard braking, & all too often or you have found the cheapest P.O.S. pads ever & problems will come later!

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PADS

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    .....? 3 set of pads in so few miles & dealer says nothing wrong?! Not right Id demand a second opinion & quick. If your going to spyderfest ask Pitbull to take a peek to be sure either your driving like a teenager hard braking, & all too often or you have found the cheapest P.O.S. pads ever & problems will come later!
    ............I have over 18,000 mi on my RT and the pads are only 1/2 worn ( rear )...I think Chewy has like 35,000 miles and He has the same Pads .......something is wrong......jmho.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............I have over 18,000 mi on my RT and the pads are only 1/2 worn ( rear )...I think Chewy has like 35,000 miles and He has the same Pads .......something is wrong......jmho.......Mike
    I think y'all are correct, but I don't have a lot of experience with brake assemblies. The stealership replaced the pads once before and after that financial raping I decided to learn how to do it myself from now on. Many thanks to arntufun for the video. Half amazed myself when they actually worked after I was done.

While I had it in my hands I didn't see any springs which would apply pressure to open the caliper when not receiving hydraulic pressure. What is supposed to keep them open?

Spyder Garage

I think y'all are correct, but I don't have a lot of experience with brake assemblies. The stealership replaced the pads once before and after that financial raping I decided to learn how to do it myself from now on. Many thanks to arntufun for the video. Half amazed myself when they actually worked after I was done.

While I had it in my hands I didn't see any springs which would apply pressure to open the caliper when not receiving hydraulic pressure. What is supposed to keep them open?

You are correct there are no springs; there are two pins encased in accordion rubber boots / sheaths which allows the caliper to move in when the brakes are applied and move back out and away from the disk...thus preventing continued contact, wear and heat build up. Your caliper is not moving freely as it was designed to do. Agree with the suggestion to have Pit Bull examine your brakes; call them now and schedule an appointment.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default DISC BRAKES

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

You are correct there are no springs; there are two pins encased in accordion rubber boots / sheaths which allows the caliper to move in when the brakes are applied and move back out and away from the disk...thus preventing continued contact, wear and heat build up. Your caliper is not moving freely as it was designed to do. Agree with the suggestion to have Pit Bull examine your brakes; call them now and schedule an appointment.
    ......Plus the way they work is .....the rotor / disc is not fixed...it floats ( can go back and forth ) so the Pad on the piston side of the caliper pushes against the rotor which then pushes against the other pad.....That's how both Pads make contact.......The piston side Pad usually wears a bit faster than the other side.......unfortunately they mostly can't be swapped side to side ...........Mike ......You may have known all this but maybe someone else didn't