Spyder Garage

Default how to remove rear wheel

I have seen video on removing rear wheel by removing bolt that holds the shock, but can you remove it by turning out the adjusters a certain amount of turns then take of the belt like on a 2 wheel motorcycle?
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    I have seen video on removing rear wheel by removing bolt that holds the shock, but can you remove it by turning out the adjusters a certain amount of turns then take of the belt like on a 2 wheel motorcycle?
    Yes you can, but getting the belt back into alignment can take some time. By removing the shock bolt this allows you to raise the high enough with the tire still on the ground to slide the belt off without disturbing the alignment.

This is how I do mine and it works very well!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The method of removing the shock bolt works real good. I used that method when I put on the Kuhmo and the belt went right back to where it was.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

ok thanks but where do you do all the jacking up the bike from the frame or the swingarm?
    Last edited by ssmcclub; 03-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Frame, as far back as you can get.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

do not readjust the tentioners when you remove the axel the belt will be loose enough to remove the wheel

Spyder Garage

If you Measure the exact distance from each side of the axle to the end cap and loosen each adjuster the same amount of turns (Not too much) And turn the adjusters the same amount when done and remeasure the exact distances you can Do Away with laying on the ground taking of and putting back in the shock bolt which can be a pain if your Old like me. The manual has you do it this way.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would read the manual as there is no need to remove the shock bolt.
    Measure the adjusters or mark the ends.

Make sure the belt gap is correct to the edge of the pulley.

Make sure belt tension is correct..

There are plenty of threads already on this topic.

Good Luck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE MEASURING METHOD

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If you Measure the exact distance from each side of the axle to the end cap and loosen each adjuster the same amount of turns (Not too much) And turn the adjusters the same amount when done and remeasure the exact distances you can Do Away with laying on the ground taking of and putting back in the shock bolt which can be a pain if your Old like me. The manual has you do it this way.
    As far as the measuring method goes, be advised............as little as 1/4 turn on either adjustment bolt can move your belt +/- 1/8th inch ( from the flange )........1/4 turn is less than 1/96th inch of axel movement, maybe you can see that on a ruler ....I can't..............good luck............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default thank you

thanks for all your input on removing the rear wheel,looks like they way to go is removing the shock bolt,I will give it a shot tomorrow morning
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Jusr used the video'd technique on mine. Put on a new Kumho Solus. Everything worked well, but lossening the fasteners was the toughest part for me. Whatever thread locker they used was a bear! But the techique worked well, and the belt was aligned perfectly when reassembled. Recommend it highly.

I put my front end up on car ramps and then used regular car jack under the rearmost portion of the frame. Plenty of room to get at everything. And it is necessary to raise and lower a couple of times to get the load off the shock bolt and the axle.

Good luck.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I would read the manual as there is no need to remove the shock bolt.
    Measure the adjusters or mark the ends.

Make sure the belt gap is correct to the edge of the pulley.

Make sure belt tension is correct..

There are plenty of threads already on this topic.

Good Luck
    The 'shock bolt' approach is an alternative to the 'official' approach discovered by some of the early Spyder Owners (Lamont did the original video). Having done both I found the 'shock bolt' method is both faster and easier - mainly because you don't have to muck about with the belt alignment/tension.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As far as the measuring method goes, be advised............as little as 1/4 turn on either adjustment bolt can move your belt +/- 1/8th inch ( from the flange )........1/4 turn is less than 1/96th inch of axel movement, maybe you can see that on a ruler ....I can't..............good luck............Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    The 'shock bolt' approach is an alternative to the 'official' approach discovered by some of the early Spyder Owners (Lamont did the original video). Having done both I found the 'shock bolt' method is both faster and easier - mainly because you don't have to muck about with the belt alignment/tension.

Removing the rear shock bolt is easy, and you wont mess with the belt alignment or the wheel alignment. IMHO
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Finless also recommends removing the sensor at the front of the swing bar, forget what it's called. Check out his video.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default put the new tire on tody

Removed wheel like you guys said to do remove the shock bolt, went to couple car shops they said they can't do them because it said on the rim use only motorcycle tires.was using a kumho tire a car tire,went to truck tire service tire repair shop they did it with no problem. did not have to take the wheel apart,he did it the way it was, I did take off the belt pulley he could not balance the tire so went to my motorcycle shop and he did spin balance for me,I had a good day 3 beer job
    richie spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PERSERVERANCE

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    Removed wheel like you guys said to do remove the shock bolt, went to couple car shops they said they can't do them because it said on the rim use only motorcycle tires.was using a kumho tire a car tire,went to truck tire service tire repair shop they did it with no problem. did not have to take the wheel apart,he did it the way it was, I did take off the belt pulley he could not balance the tire so went to my motorcycle shop and he did spin balance for me,I had a good day 3 beer job
    .......sorry I forgot to mention the RIM warning...........but to everyone else ...just fill it in with body putty.... sand it and spray with silver paint....................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-10-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Never thought of that but then the little tire shop here in Mt.Pleasant just mounted it no questions asked.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

ok took the spyder for a ride today sat with new kumho 225/50/15 ecsta feels real nice, will break it in real good on sunday with my southshore mc club will let you know how it works
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

I did mine yesterday. Took it off but did not see any sensor wire in the front. Could be just an RT thing. took it to 2 car tire places and they would not do it. I called Richardson motorsports and they said they would do it for 37 dollars. I went there because I knew a Spyder dealer would not booger up my rim.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I did mine yesterday. Took it off but did not see any sensor wire in the front. Could be just an RT thing. took it to 2 car tire places and they would not do it. I called Richardson motorsports and they said they would do it for 37 dollars. I went there because I knew a Spyder dealer would not booger up my rim.
    I got one of these wrenches off Ebay. I highly recommend it and it is small enough to add to your tool kit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191407295271...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

only the rt has the sensor up front
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Default break in kumho rear tire

Broke in my rear kumho tire sunday, to start out new it would spin easy after 50 miles of hard use it started to hook up great I think I am going to love this tire,and it look nice on
    richie spyder