Spyder Garage

Default Will a Spyder or two fit into an enclosed Uhaul Truck?

My wife and I are moving from Nebraska to Tampa. We have 2 cars and 2 Spyders and we might be short a driver or two. I'm considering all options and I realize the positives of riding long distance on the bykes, but does anyone know if a Spyder will fit in a Uhaul truck and what ramp did you use?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Husker

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    My wife and I are moving from Nebraska to Tampa. We have 2 cars and 2 Spyders and we might be short a driver or two. I'm considering all options and I realize the positives of riding long distance on the bykes, but does anyone know if a Spyder will fit in a Uhaul truck and what ramp did you use?

Husker
    dot tell them you are hauling bikes.

my wife broke down in phoenix last year and they made her rent a truck and a uhaul trailer for $1200
    from there to ponte vedra beach fl
    they told her that because of the gasoline in her victory they wouldn't let her because of fire

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hauled a touring two wheeler and an RT in a 26 ft truck with plenty of room left over. Do not tell them you are hauling vehicles (rules). PA to NV no problems, I drilled holes in the floor to tie down the bikes.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

should fit no problem width wise at all, as for length your going to need probably a 16 or bigger to make sure there is room between the two. Also as someone said above your going to need to strap them down. Obviously he didnt get a damage issue with uhaul drilling holes in the floor but id be a little worried about that. I work in the transportation industry and you can have a vehicle hauler take them. Not sure how much a one way you haul would cost, probably less than proffesional transport but worth thinking about. Out of the snow and into the sun, congrats to you and your spyders that will now be available all year round, well at least when its not 95% humidity lol
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Husker
    If you are using a moving company they will ship the vehicles, or at least some of them, right along with your household goods.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ship the cars and ride the Spyders?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I drilled holes in the floor to tie down the bikes.
    You drilled holes in the floor of someone else's truck?

Not sure I would have admitted that. Most U-hauls have E-track embedded in the walls, and you can rent straps and pads.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    You drilled holes in the floor of someone else's truck?

Not sure I would have admitted that. Most U-hauls have E-track embedded in the walls, and you can rent straps and pads.
    It wasn't a U Haul and it had some holes in the wood floor already. I pounded pieces of dowel rod with glue into the holes when I was done. It had less holes in the floor than when I started. The truck only had wood slats on the walls.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It wasn't a U Haul and it had some holes in the wood floor already. I pounded pieces of dowel rod with glue into the holes when I was done. It had less holes in the floor than when I started. The truck only had wood slats on the walls.
    Ah. Sorry.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Depends on the truck but as you asked ...how to get them up there is the problem. Lift gates are not wide or long enough and most of the truck are pretty high. I do see that you only mention the vehicles as your moving issue so the rest is being shipped. As ann said some will take your spyders as well. how about trailering the spyders and drive both cars down. One tows the other follows...Call up some spyder buddies and for sure you will find some volunteers to drive the spyders down for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Great more spyder riders around the tampa area. We'll have to get together for a ride. Wife and I live in the Clearwater, largo area. Have a safe trip.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I transported my motorcycles but I also didn't rent the truck for that specific reason but rather moving all my stuff.
    I loaded 3 motorcycles in the front of 24' truck, strapped them down, not too tightly, and placed boxes around all sides.
    I only went from Tampa to north Orlando but had no issues.

For a Spyder, you'd really need a loading dock to do it safely.
    I really wouldn't even try anything else. It would be dangerous and very costly if something went wrong.

The added costs of trailers (1 way), extra fuel, etc. might exceed the cost of hiring a transport company?
    If shipping multiple vehicles, probably get a better rate than just 1 vehicle?

Spyder Garage

Husker
    I may be less costly to use a shipper for your Spyders than to rent a U-Haul and drive it yourself. Between the cost of the rental truck (plus mileage) and gas it might be cost prohibitive.

Heck, it might be less costly to sell them both now and buy new ones when you get settled in.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Copperman; 03-09-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk