Spyder Garage

Default Completed DIY Spark Plug & Wire Replacement

Spent a couple of hours yesterday replacing my spark plugs and wires on my '13 STS. I used Accel wires and NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs all ordered from BajaRon! BajaRon provides awesome response and quick ordering and quick follow-up to emails!

The day before I changed my oil, etc so I already half the panels off. Took some time to remove the remaining panels and to locate the plug locations. Ended up keeping the airbox on, just loosened it to allow for some flexibility in wiring the new wires in and around and under the airbox / engine. I'd be lying if it wasn't tedious... and it's not something I want to do a lot of, but it's done and nice to have quality items installed... and now I know my machine much more intimately!!

Took it for a spin afterwards and it seems to be running awesome. A couple of things I've noticed in the short ride I took... 1) shifting into 2nd is waaaaay smoother (attributed to the Mobile 1 4T oil I just used), 2) seems pretty awesome throttle response, and 3) noticed a couple of pops decelerating from 2nd to 1st.

Regarding throttle response... while I will disclose the roads were slightly wet, I noticed I spun the rear wheel going from 1st to 2nd, and then again 2nd to 3rd!! Don't recall ever doing that before, so I'm going to attribute it to spark plug enhancement!!

Regarding popping... I'm going to allow the bike to idle longer today and see what the computer does to register new A/F mixtures, etc. But, after researching last night, it seems that a perfectly tuned engine should pop a bit... eliminating the popping actually de-tunes the motor. But, I'd enjoy some thoughts here! (I do have an Akropovic exhaust installed) I was going to replace the vacuum tubes in this same job, but getting to the back side tube seemed impossible and will require the removal of something... and I didn't want to spend another hour doing that. The tubes seemed fine to inspection and were replaced by dealer not too long ago. I've got the new silicone tubing and will venture into this in the months to come!

The hardest part of this project was snaking the wire under the airbox. And for a technical note... the reason I was able to get the front plug out without removing the airbox was because I used a jointed socket wrench... would not be possible without one. Other notes, just be sure to read BajaRon's instructions that come with the parts and apply the thermal paste, etc. as directed.
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and update. My panels are off but I'm contemplating adding LED turns to mirrors and maybe fog light strip.
    Also need to arrange delivery date with BahaRon.

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations. ...

Well done, I know how it feels much the same when I made the change back when. Good thing is you won't have to do that again for a very longtime....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to hear it! Feels good to know the work was done right and that you did it. It's gives you a bit bigger smile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have noticed on my Spyder that when I shift near redline from 1-2 and 2-3 the rear tire breaks loose very consistently. This engine runs great!!! I run 90 octane non-ethanol 99% of the time. I only use gas with ethanol if I need to fill up and I am not near home, then I use the highest octane available.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just an FYI from another post. Using Ethanol is not good. Once in a while but not all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    From page 56 of my 2014 RT Owner's Guide:
    Recommended Fuel
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with
    an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
    91, or an RON octane rating of 95.

From page 163 of the guide:
    Type Premium unleaded gasoline
    Minimum octane: 87 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2 92 RON
    Recommended octane: 91 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2 95 RON

It's a free country, use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST-Ltd
    Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Just an FYI from another post. Using Ethanol is not good. Once in a while but not all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST-Ltd
    Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    I don't know if I've EVER run non-ethanol fuel through anything I've ever owned. Never had an ethanol fuel related issue. The last ethanol issue I saw was an old boat that had been sitting for years. Never seen any modern equipment issues.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I only run 93 or higher in my spyder and my V-Star, unless I'm traveling and can't find the higher octane.

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

Finally got back home and completed plug and wire change alone..... I use a wire clothes hanger to easily guide the plug wire from the left side to the front plug.... Have Mercy. ....!

Keep 3 Down..!!!