Thread: Helmet speakers

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet speakers

Hi all,
    I have the Scala Rider Cardio headset. My wife and I used the comm system for a little while but now we just yell if we want to talk. I use the system to plug into my iphone for music and directions. They are just not loud enough. I am looking for louder helmet speakers. Any suggestions wold be appreciated. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Talk to Motorcycle Dave, he's a sponsor and a heck of a nice guy. He'll point you in right direction, call him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhansen309 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have the Scala Rider Cardio headset. My wife and I used the comm system for a little while but now we just yell if we want to talk. I use the system to plug into my iphone for music and directions. They are just not loud enough. I am looking for louder helmet speakers. Any suggestions wold be appreciated. Thanks.
    Something to try first, maybe the speakers are too far away from your ears?? Yes I am serious. I found the same problem and fixed it.
    This is hard to explain, if your speakers are held in to your helmet with velcro. Get your self a couple of velcro spots that have the adhesive on the back, join them together with the adhesive sides touching, which you then attach to your speakers before placing them back into your helmet, it is only a matter of millimetres but does make a difference.
    It definitely worked for me.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Something to try first, maybe the speakers are too far away from your ears?? Yes I am serious. I found the same problem and fixed it.
    This is hard to explain, if your speakers are held in to your helmet with velcro. Get your self a couple of velcro spots that have the adhesive on the back, join them together with the adhesive sides touching, which you then attach to your speakers before placing them back into your helmet, it is only a matter of millimetres but does make a difference.
    Thanks I read that while I was researching. I will try that before I spend any money. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Talk to Motorcycle Dave, he's a sponsor and a heck of a nice guy. He'll point you in right direction, call him.
    Thanks. If I decide to buy any I will call him.

Spyder Garage

Gotta ask, hearing test?
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

We have the Scala gx9 set. I can hear mine with ear plugs. Has to be at highest or next to highest but I can still hear music or intercom.
    I would agree on the spacing.
    I cannot remember if the Scala kit or my helmet came with extra pads for spacing. It did say to make sure they were next to your ears though as each helmet and person's head is different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    We have the Scala gx9 set. I can hear mine with ear plugs. Has to be at highest or next to highest but I can still hear music or intercom.
    I would agree on the spacing.
    I cannot remember if the Scala kit or my helmet came with extra pads for spacing. It did say to make sure they were next to your ears though as each helmet and person's head is different.
    I will give you an Amen on spacing. I run the Sena 20 and the spacing was critical. You can get spacers from Sena. Good luck..

Spyder Garage

Default question on 20's

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I will give you an Amen on spacing. I run the Sena 20 and the spacing was critical. You can get spacers from Sena. Good luck..

we just bought the 20s dual pack. We are having trouble with intercomm and music together. The music is jumping in and out all over the place. Everything works fine when only using one helmet. I was wondering if you might know anything about that?

Spyder Garage

I thought the speakers on the Scala were not as good as the ones on our Sena. We use the headsets for communication only. There is no radio reception to speak of here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use Torx speakers and their booster.

Will blow yoyr ears off. And my hearing sucks from all the metal work i did through the years

Think there are better units out there. Torx are very reasonable

Spyder Garage

Default Couple things to try

Quote Originally Posted by Lili77 View Post
    we just bought the 20s dual pack. We are having trouble with intercomm and music together. The music is jumping in and out all over the place. Everything works fine when only using one helmet. I was wondering if you might know anything about that?
    I had a heck of a time getting our 20s units working properly. First step is to make sure everything is at the latest firmware, including the sm10 unit. What ended up fixing our setup was to make sure the setting that will turn down the music during intercom is set the same on both units. We actually just turned it off. We found that the less features that were on the better the sound and communication. We just have them streaming our Bluetooth and then we tap for intercom. Has been working quite well second half of last season.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

1+ on the above, correct positioning is critical!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Gotta ask, hearing test?
    Retired Air Force - jet engine mechanic on the A10. Greatest plane ever. Some hearing loss but not enough for hearing aids, at least not yet!!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up A-10

The A-10 is a great plane!!!

I thought I needed a hearing test also ( What!!) Teaching metal shop in high school is suprisingly LOUD (What!!)

We have a Sena SMH -5 and it's plenty loud--- but the speakers must be placed corectly at the ear.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bose

I use a set of earbuds by Bose. They fit flush to my ears so they are still comfortable in the helmet. They provide a little reduction of road noise, and the sound is crystal clear with volume to spare. They would just plug in to the Scala where the speakers are plugged in.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lili77 View Post
    Sorry I am a single rider. Using the SM 10 to add xm sat radio tunes. Phone works great too. Rider to rider is great up to one mile LINE OF SIGHT!. Good luvk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhansen309 View Post
    Retired Air Force - jet engine mechanic on the A10. Greatest plane ever. Some hearing loss but not enough for hearing aids, at least not yet!!!
    What did you say? Titan I high pressure gas bleed off, 20 yr USAF Ret. The Sena close to my ears is great. Good luck.
    Last edited by Deer Slayer; 03-07-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I talked and I will try positioning the speakers first. Thanks all.