Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder RTS owner bluetooth question

The RTS comes with radio. Would you add dongle and use Sena SHM10 headsets without FM or Sena 20S headsets with FM and not add the dongle. After lots of looking I'm leaning toward the Sena 20S.

Spyder Garage

I added the dongle (which also requires an entertainment harness). I would not be without XM radio into my SMH-10. DO not like blasting out everyone in town when I am running the radio through the speakers.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Try without dongle first

We installed the dongle and purchased the Sena 20s for our helmets. I'm inclined to believe I would have been just as happy with just the Sena and using the bluetooth of our iPhones for music. You can always try it and if you decided you wanted the bike to be connected you just add the dongle. No harm no foul........I kind of wish we had done it that way.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I don't use the bike's radio at all. I bought the 20s and stream everything from my phone (Galaxy S6) and it works great. The 20s allows two bluetooth connections as well, so you can pair a separate GPS mounted on the bike in addition to the phone if you want.

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Brentc above, but I also like the dongle. I use it to listen to my iPod, which is controlled through the RT multi-function entertainment module next to the lift hand grip. I have both my iPod and the Sena SM10 dongle mounted in my trunk. You need the dongle to do that, or to listen to the Spyder's radio with your headset. You will NOT need the dongle, if you want to listen to music from a GPS or a smartphone.

The dongle that BRP sells is actually a Sena SM10, with lots of extra cabling, that mounts in the front trunk. Motorcycle Dave has a much better alternative, that costs much less, and mounts in the rear trunk. You can likely install it yourself without much trouble.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-05-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I agree with Norm about the external speakers and listen to the Spyder's AM/FM radio through an SMH10 and dongle or the MP3 player in the GPS to which I've added an extra memory card.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Also be aware there is a BIG difference in performance and sound quality between the Sena SHM-10 and the Sena 20s. The 20s does a MUCH better job of removing background noise and can also mutitask music and intercom.

Having done both the dongle route on my previous RT and the headset / phone on my current F3, I'd forgo the dongle and buy the better head sets.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default sad at the cost of a spyder no blue tooth

I feel at the price of the RT blue tooth should be standard item
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Default And GPS

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    I feel at the price of the RT blue tooth should be standard item
    Kenn
    I said the same thing about the lack of a GPS. Especially on the Rt. I mean it's a touring bike, so why leave off such an integral piece that a majority will want. I know you can get one added, but honestly $600 for a GPS is way too much. From the factory you know one could be built in for much less.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcmaverick View Post
    The RTS comes with radio. Would you add dongle and use Sena SHM10 headsets without FM or Sena 20S headsets with FM and not add the dongle. After lots of looking I'm leaning toward the Sena 20S.
    I got the Sena 20s and love it. I didn't see a need for the dongle stuff for the bike.
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

2012 Spyder RTS - Blue (17,700 miles)

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

ISCI Hand Brake w/ cup holder

ISCI center screw RAM mount w/ universal holder

ISCI driver and passenger floorboards

FZ-1 fuse block

Powerlet 12-volt socket installed in front speaker grill

Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Hopnel dash bags and saddle bag nets

Spyder Garage

I purchased the SHM10 and the dual 20s which we run an iPod through it. That allows you to select from your playlist view module on your handle bar and see it displayed on the LCD screen.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I almost purchased the Bluetooth dongle on my 2015 RTL but decided to wait until after I tried the Sena 20s headsets, after all even if I purchased the dongle the headsets would be required.

Well after the headset purchase and seeing how flawlessly the operate and all of the features, I am VERY glad I didn't spend the money on the dongle!!!

That just left a little more money to farkel.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I just purchased the Sena 20s and having difficulty pairing. I have tried both under one device and doesn't give me control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you having trouble paring them with each other, your phone, or your GPS?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth update

I was convinced to go with a SENA 20 dual system and actually was going to pick one up at a local dealer here in the Midwest. After discussing my options with Motorcycle Dave, he convinced me the SENA 10 dual system would more than satisfy my needs considering I do not normally ride with a large group and the SENA 20 is capable of communicating with more systems. Just installed my SENA 10 in my GMAX open face helmet along with a SM10 bundle to sinc my RT radio to my blue tooth helmet. My initial response was WOW!! The SENA 10 performed well above my expectations paired with my SAMSUNG G-5 phone. The helmet to helmet intercom is a good plus for us to communicate. Dave was very helpful about assisting me with my options and he was $180 better price than local. Not sure the SM10 was money well spent, probably could stream music through the G-5.

Spyder Garage

I have the SM10 and the Sena 20's. After Motorcycle Dave got my problems sorted for me, I have to tell you that there is a tremendous sound quality difference between listening to music through the bike radio versus from through my iphone. I would not consider leaving the SM10 behind and listening via the phone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
    I added the dongle (which also requires an entertainment harness). I would not be without XM radio into my SMH-10. DO not like blasting out everyone in town when I am running the radio through the speakers.

You do not need a Dingle Dongle to get wireless XM. I use a G665LM and it has Bluetooth and XM capabilities with the wireless headsets. Only time you need the Dongle for wireless is when you purchase the overly expensive and troubling BRP XM radio.

Simply remove the top of the 660 cradle and replace it with the top of the 665. Add the XM-40 antennae and you have XM wireless radio. Turn off the wireless and the XM overrides the speakers when the Spyder radio is on and you can hear XM on your Speakers.

No Dongle involved.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I said the same thing about the lack of a GPS. Especially on the Rt. I mean it's a touring bike, so why leave off such an integral piece that a majority will want. I know you can get one added, but honestly $600 for a GPS is way too much. From the factory you know one could be built in for much less.
    The RT Limited comes standard with the G660LM. (no XM) I swapped my G665LM after swapping the cradle heads with only four small screws.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents go Sena