Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Going to Dealership Tomorrow for 2015 RT -- Please Advise.

Hello. I'm going to a dealership in North Carolina tomorrow to consider a purchase. I've never owned a non-automobile for the road, so I'm a Noob's Noob. I would much appreciate some helpful advice. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Do you have your M/C endorsement? No Test rides without it, least up here. Good luck and a
    big
    !

Pat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No M/C endorsement. To be honest, this is a very spur of the moment kind of thing. For my state I guess I'll need to take a class or get a learner's permit first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    To be honest, this is a very spur of the moment kind of thing.
    Usually, life's best stories are written that way!

Yes start with getting your M/C license and go from there. Maybe you could even find a three wheeled class if they have them.

Pat
    Last edited by TEWKS; 03-03-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

I purchased my first one on a whim, and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did.

But it before you sign and ryde, go get your permit at the DMV. You can then learn to ride before you get your full endorsement.

At least, that's what I did.

Have fun shopping!
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Might be helpful to read the thread on Do's and Don'ts of Spyder operation. May give you some good information so that you don't make the wrong purchase choice.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...yder+Ownership

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No M/C endorsement. To be honest, this is a very spur of the moment kind of thing. For my state I guess I'll need to take a class or get a learner's permit first.
    TAKE A CLASS!!!!! Never heard of a learners permit for a M endorsement, in any state.
    Know most of the E coast states have two types of endorsement, M for motorcycle & M3 for trike motorcycle. The class will guide you & maybe offer proper test vehicles, worth looking into. Best of luck to you

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I bought mine before spending much time here. Had I done so, I would have learned a lot that I didn't learn from my dealer. I bought used, during the one week where it seemed there wasn't a used Spyder to be found in all of Southern California (a month later, and ever since, they are far more easily found). I would search the forum as much as possible for advice to other new buyers, and really consider which model is best for you. If you buy used, then more research is required - years can vastly differ from each other in terms of quality and performance.

All of that said, despite the fact that I sold mine and bought a new one because of persistent issues, it was a great purchase and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Brought mine on a spur of the minute. In Michigan you take a written test, good for 90 days as long as you are with a licensed driver. Drove for about 30 days , took final ride test on spyder got endorsement. Felt like a kid with a new toy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    TAKE A CLASS!!!!! Never heard of a learners permit for a M endorsement, in any state.
    Know most of the E coast states have two types of endorsement, M for motorcycle & M3 for trike motorcycle. The class will guide you & maybe offer proper test vehicles, worth looking into. Best of luck to you
    You Seriously think that?

I think every state DOES offer a learners permit and that's how you have to pass the written portion of the M endorsement. You are not forced to take a motorcycle safety class through Harley or equal. I went the learner's permit route to teach myself and tried to pass the road test portion at the DMV. However, I failed so I went and signed up with Harley Davidson to go through their MSF class and get my license that way.

Now the CDL endorsement probably doesn't allow for a learners permit, but I don't care about that one.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

New Jersey has a learner's permit for the M endorsement. Take the written test (short one if you already have a driver's license, longer one if you don't) and the permit is good for I believe 90 days. Allows you to ride during daylight hours, no passengers, no limited-access highways.

You can take the road test (on a closed course) at the DMV or take a MSF course, pass it, and get your endorsement that way. NJ also has the M endorsement with 3-wheel restriction.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for posting your advice. I do want to learn as much as I can, and to be sensible. However, not too sensible as then that may possibly talk me out of a purchase of a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default permits

The state of Georgia has a permit for 6 months, also if you are a veteran you can get your license or permit free.

Spyder Garage

Default do it

Bought ours on the spur. did not drive a bike since 16 now 65 love it. be one year this month. I studied then took the written test received a learners permit. read safety tips in can am book, state drivers license book and some research on net. The driving of the trikes is so easy no braking issues like a two wheeler. the wide front cars seem to see you better but remember always be ready and figure they are going to do something stupid. Once you get it if you do not already have riding buddies, join Meet Up.com you will find riders in your area.
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    Do you have your M/C endorsement? No Test rides without it, least up here. Good luck and a
    big
    !

Pat

They'll probably let you ride on their property without a permit, but not on the street.

My advice is: try it, buy it, enjoy it!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Spur of the moment purchase...sure works great

I had never operated anything other than a cage (car/truck) or tractor. Got the itch to have motorcycle. Long story short after finding Spyderlovers and doing research bought 2010 RT sight unseen and had delivered to house. Since then I have gotten a lot smarter. and I would recommend:

Reading the do's and don'ts: Ask for dealer recommendations....from fellow Spyderlovers as you will read there are the good, bad and the ugly in service departments. Anyone can sell you, but what you have and get for service is paramount to your sanity and your Spyder operating efficiently!!! How your new adventure is assembled is absolutely critical.
    Create your pro/con list...i.e. I live in the middle of WA state and closest dealer is 4 hrs ryde....and for me that was not a negative...just gives me some great ryding....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I took Class ( 3days) got my learners permit, bought my first spyder( 2012RTS-SE5 ) took the spyder(2012 RTS-SE5) to get my License. After I got my permit, I could not ride at night, only during the day.

I have on my license M( for Motorcycle) endorsement and
    Y for Restrictions " Vermont Agency of Transportation Dept. of Motor Vehicles Special Restriction Card............Restricted to Riding a Three Wheel Motor Cycle Only" *** Must be carried with License/Permit!***

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-04-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Permit

In Pennsylvania one has to get a motorcycle permit before riding one. You take a written test and if you pass, your permit is good for one year. You are allowed to renew your permit up to 3 times but you have to re-test the written exam. When I was looking at my spyder, the dealer would not let me test drive it because I only had a permit but allowed my husband (he rides an Indian Roadmaster) test drive it for me. I have a 2015 RT S special edition. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Next month I will take the MSF course and hope to get my endorsement with a "9" restriction on my license.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEARNING TO NOT BUY A SPYDER

Thanks everyone for posting your advice. I do want to learn as much as I can, and to be sensible. However, not too sensible as then that may possibly talk me out of a purchase of a Spyder.
    Actually discovering the ..SPYDER..is not for you ...BEFORE ....you spend a lot of money seems to make way more sense....................there are a lot of very low mileage Spyders being sold by people who bought on a WHIM.....don't go this route.................I sent you that PM for a reason .......Mike

Spyder Garage

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#motorcycle.asp

You need to become familiar with your State Laws First-Its hard for me to decifer whether you need to take the Riders Course before you ride or Not.
    If your under 19 someone licensed on a motorcycle must accompany you ( In a separate vehicle) and be prepared to help?
    Maybe someone can make more sense of the Law than I- I'm Old.
    Last edited by Sarge707; 03-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Im not much on riding courses but i guess im just old school and learned to ride two wheeled dirt bikes when i was 12 but never owned a street bike till i turned 40. Anyway whoever said there is no permit for M is certainly wrong as we have seen from other posts. In CA you can have your permit in about 10 minutes and be able to ride as much as you want during the day, no night riding or passengers. You have up to 6 months (but can go back anytime you want) to use the permit then you have to go back and take the on bike test, which basically is a trip around the DMV that he tester watches you go through the gears make turns on the street etc. Then you come back and the put you on a little test course where you have to ride in between some cones and around in a tight circle twice between two lines about 21 inches apart without putting your foot down and your done. Its tough if you are on a big bike, i dont think its even possible on say a goldwing but you just borrow or rent a small bike to take the test. In CA you DO NOT need ANY kind of endorsement to ride a spyder, just a car drivers license, i think we are the only state except maybe deleware.

Anyway its free so might as well go get the permit.

Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

NC has a learners permit for M endorsement good for 18 months. Best approach here is get permit; do test ride(s); take MSF basic rider course, successful passage of which will count as DMV road test for permanent endorsement and insurance rate break; decide and buy Spyder although that can be done at any time with learners permit.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

RE: MC Permits and endorsements: Have lived in MN, WI, IN, and AK. All of these states required passing a MC written and a road test on the bike you were being licensed for. In AK you either get a M (two wheel) or an M3 (three wheel) endorsement. If you have a M you are good to go on three in AK. When you pass the MC written test you are given a PERMIT that allows you to operate a motorcycle or trike for up to one year before taking the road test.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-04-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    You Seriously think that?

I think every state DOES offer a learners permit and that's how you have to pass the written portion of the M endorsement. You are not forced to take a motorcycle safety class through Harley or equal. I went the learner's permit route to teach myself and tried to pass the road test portion at the DMV. However, I failed so I went and signed up with Harley Davidson to go through their MSF class and get my license that way.

Now the CDL endorsement probably doesn't allow for a learners permit, but I don't care about that one.
    Yes seriously Forgive my Redneck yall but, only learners permit, (I know of is for car, when your under 18 where you are required to have a fully licensed adult ride with you.) As far as the motorcycle endorsement is all pass or fail the MSF class is recommended but not required, if you prove you pass the class the dmv will often skip the road portion of test. Again here in Louisiana whith the worst roads in nation! Only state I've gotten my license from, my knowledge of others is from here & family that has moved around(i hear what how pretty it is & what they fuss about) fyi my state is catch 22 on how you get it too!
    You must have endorsement for insurance, but cant cant take road test without insurance or someone's insured bike a instructor of MSF class helps lots of students with thatSo yes Its all screwed up. As if the dmv wasn't a pain enough already. Glad yall can point new member in right direction

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: MC Permits and endorsements: Have lived in MN, WI, IN, and AK. All of these states required passing a MC written and a road test on the bike you were being licensed for. In AK you either get a M (two wheel) or an M3 (three wheel) endorsement. If you have a M you are good to go on three in AK. When you pass the MC written test you are given a PERMIT that allows you to operate a motorcycle or trike for up to one year before taking the road test.
    ok so if you have to road test on the bike you are being licensed for what if in those states you sell the bike and then buy a different one? You have to go back and take the test again??
    BTW in CA you also have that class option, if you take the class you do not have to take the test i pictured above. if you dont take a class then you must pass the "road" test but after either your good to ride any 2 wheeler.

However to answer the original question about going to the dealer my best advise would be GO. Sit on the various models, see which is more comfy for you. if you are going to take the wife or passengers the majority of the time really the RT is by far the best option. Make sure you get a good deal. look around the internet see what prices are going for. Imotorsports is a good bench mark and they will ship the unit to you for free if you get a dealer that wont deal. The main requirement for getting a good deal is being prepared to walk away.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40