Thread: Rear tire shock

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire shock

Hi all,
    I have a 2011 RT. I have a question about the rear shock. I used to hear something like an air pump going to soften or firm the shock. I haven't heard that last year. My question is how can I tell if I even have an air pump for the shock. I can add air to it an it jumps right up. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AIRSHOCK

Be very very careful when filling the airbag ( it doesn't go into the shock ), it wouldn't take much to blow it up....BRP actually recommends doing it with a Hand Pump.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Be very very careful when filling the airbag ( it doesn't go into the shock ), it wouldn't take much to blow it up....BRP actually recommends doing it with a Hand Pump.......Mike
    Got it, thanks for the reminder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the Spyder running and in gear try changing the setting and listen for the compressor. If you don't hear it it may have died. That is not uncommon.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    With the Spyder running and in gear try changing the setting and listen for the compressor. If you don't hear it it may have died. That is not uncommon.
    Thanks I will try that when the weather gets a bit warmer. Looks like next week.

Spyder Garage

If you have an airbag and no on-board compressor, (which some model do come that way) lift the seat and look for a schrader valve. This is where you fill the air bag. It can be tricky, as 911 said, use a hand pump and it's easier if it has an integrated gauge. There should be a sticker underneath the seat that gives you the inflation recommendations.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

If you used to hear an air pump(compressor) changing your ride height/firmness and now you don't then probably your compressor is burned up.This is a common occurrence I just had mine replaced and it was just under $500.00 parts and labor. If you want /can do it yourself there is an aftermarket compressor that bolts right in ,is stronger and costs less money, I don't know about the other models but I thought the RT Limited was the only one with an auto adjuster. Do you have a limited? BTW I really like your paint.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If the compressor is not working there is an easy way to tell.

Start it up and use the switch. On the dash display on the left side you will see a ride adjustment scale. You should see that move up or down with the switch. If it says "manual" instead of seeing the scale, the compressor is not working or the swing arm position sensor may have become disconnected or is not functioning.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I took the bike to the shop this morning. Needs an oil change, state inspection and they are checking the air suspension. I tried the switch to go from hard to soft but nothing happened. I did the the gauge on the side of the display and it moved but no air compressor sound. We will see what the deal says.
    Thanks all.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer called

The dealer called this morning and said the compressor was shot and if I ever had it changed. I said no, why and he said it was cleaner then the rest of the bike like it was new. He is changing it, covered under warranty. I will see when I get it back.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully the Dealer would've known & tested it properly, but then you never know about some of 'em....

Still, for anyone else who is concerned, if you've been testing to see if that compressor/ride leveller works, have you been trying while sitting on the Spyder with the engine running & the trans actually in gear?? Not positive about the in gear bit (others will be & can confirm or deny, I'm sure) but that compressor/ride levelling won't do schmik for you unless you've got the engine running & some weight on the seat.