Spyder Garage

Question Urban Rack - Plastic Version?!?!

Did BRP make a plastic molded version of the Urban Rack (PART# 219400493)?? My dealer sold me an Urban Rack, and showed me the matching part number on the box, but I'm pretty darn sure this is flimsy plastic, not aluminum. The only metal I can find are a couple of screws and the eye-hole for the latching mechanism.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe they've figured out how to make Aluminum look like injection molded plastic?

I'm basically trying to decide if I should return this thing and re-order one direct from BRP.

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta

Spyder Garage

There is an urban rack which I understand is metal:

and a mono seat cowl which I understand is plastic.:

Which one does it look like? The Mono seat cowl is taller. Mono seat cowl part number is #219400494.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 03-03-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Definitely the Urban Rack

Yep, it's definitely the lower-profile Urban Rack with the included netting. The only difference I see is that mine has a silver lock, and the one pictured above has a black lock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsvogel View Post
    Did BRP make a plastic molded version of the Urban Rack (PART# 219400493)?? My dealer sold me an Urban Rack, and showed me the matching part number on the box, but I'm pretty darn sure this is flimsy plastic, not aluminum. The only metal I can find are a couple of screws and the eye-hole for the latching mechanism.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe they've figured out how to make Aluminum look like injection molded plastic?

I'm basically trying to decide if I should return this thing and re-order one direct from BRP.
    I just received the BRP Urban Rack too, and the top appears to be real thin aluminum, but the rest of it is pretty flimsy plastic. I paid far less than retail, and even then commented aloud how flimsy it was for the money.

As a side note...I also have the BRP side cases, and so now have two keys to work the 3 cases, so wanted to make all of them operational with only one key. The locks are Southland locks, so I contacted them and figured out which lock sets they are. Then contacted their distributor in Georgia. Turns out I had to order a sack of 10 to meet the minimum order of $25 ($2.50 per lock). They are "fixed-core" locks, so just re-coring them is not possible. Wonder what BRP sells a lock for or if you can buy the locks separately?
    jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Ah, so in my mind, when I read the description of "Solid aluminum construction", I must have assumed it to be all Aluminum, and noticeable Aluminum. The bottom is definitely plastic, and tapping on the top, I just couldn't tell. It 'acts' like plastic. And the lid closes janky like plastic.

I generally shy away from BRP accessories because they tend to be way over-priced for what you get. And that's why I'm so grateful for the time, effort, quality, price, instructions, and videos that are produced by the members of this site. I had a few of of those accessories on my RT, and doing the same for my F3.

John, I love the idea of having everything on one key. Fortunately, the stock bags on the Limited are keyed to the ignition key, though I predict that the flimsy plastic handles (or maybe they are really thin aluminum??? ) are going to break before the end of the year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    I just received the BRP Urban Rack too, and the top appears to be real thin aluminum, but the rest of it is pretty flimsy plastic. I paid far less than retail, and even then commented aloud how flimsy it was for the money.

As a side note...I also have the BRP side cases, and so now have two keys to work the 3 cases, so wanted to make all of them operational with only one key. The locks are Southland locks, so I contacted them and figured out which lock sets they are. Then contacted their distributor in Georgia. Turns out I had to order a sack of 10 to meet the minimum order of $25 ($2.50 per lock). They are "fixed-core" locks, so just re-coring them is not possible. Wonder what BRP sells a lock for or if you can buy the locks separately?
    jb
    John,

If i may ask where you got the Urban Rack for "far less than retail"? I have been looking for one.

thanks

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Ah, ok. It's just rubbish then!!! When I watched the german guy on you tube review the mono seat cowl it looked pretty crappy and not worth the money.

Your expereince doesn't make the urban rack sound any better!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Not worth $409

The other thing that lowers the quality is the "stick on" weatherstrip gasket. It's already coming off on one side. There's no channel that it rests in. I mean, really, this is a $50 product with a huge profit margin.

I'm thinking I really just need to return this and go with a set of Lamonster Bungee Buttons and find a similar net somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Default Of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by siny10309 View Post
    John,

If i may ask where you got the Urban Rack for "far less than retail"? I have been looking for one.

thanks
    Of course you may ask....I found it on eBay from a Florida dealer who didn't have the original box and wanted to get it out of his inventory. I didn't mention price because the thread subject was the quality (or lack thereof). The auction was asking $300 and I paid $275 plus shipping..so I'm less upset than I'd have been at anything near retail price.
    Ride on...
    jb
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Of course you may ask....I found it on eBay from a Florida dealer who didn't have the original box and wanted to get it out of his inventory. I didn't mention price because the thread subject was the quality (or lack thereof). The auction was asking $300 and I paid $275 plus shipping..so I'm less upset than I'd have been at anything near retail price.
    Ride on...
    jb
    gotcha. thanks for the reply.

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

It has been said many times. For the money, BRP accessories leave much to be desired. Profit margin is good for the company. But they seem to take it to new heights.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought one for my wife last fall off eBay. If I had paid more than the $99 I won it for I would have been real upset on the quality. She loves it though, and I guess that is all that matters.

Spyder Garage

jb
    There is at least one thread in the F3 area about those of us who changed out our locks.
    Most people opted for the combo lock, but not everyone. After twisting 2 cheapo keys in my urban rack and my saddlebags, I ended up getting replacement locksets for all 3 items with a larger barrel key.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It has been said many times. For the money, BRP accessories leave much to be desired. Profit margin is good for the company. But they seem to take it to new heights.
    Can't say it any better! Fyi was looking into the equally outrageous overpriced top case for my ST, only finding in my research ....no offer to match color, keys, & additional required parts!? & frankly just insulting they think that's good business tactic.

I wasn't there but I still care!
    POW MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default update...use caution!

Quote Originally Posted by dsvogel View Post
    Ah, so in my mind, when I read the description of "Solid aluminum construction", I must have assumed it to be all Aluminum, and noticeable Aluminum. The bottom is definitely plastic, and tapping on the top, I just couldn't tell. It 'acts' like plastic. And the lid closes janky like plastic.

I generally shy away from BRP accessories because they tend to be way over-priced for what you get. And that's why I'm so grateful for the time, effort, quality, price, instructions, and videos that are produced by the members of this site. I had a few of of those accessories on my RT, and doing the same for my F3.

John, I love the idea of having everything on one key. Fortunately, the stock bags on the Limited are keyed to the ignition key, though I predict that the flimsy plastic handles (or maybe they are really thin aluminum??? ) are going to break before the end of the year.
    USE CAUTION WHEN OPENING THE URBAN RACK!!
    Yesterday I opened the lid to get my glasses out and the left hinge (plastic) pulled completely out of the base!!! I was unable to remedy it on the road, so after getting back home I took the rack off the bike and wound up taking it apart (the 5 black machine screws and nylock nuts) in order to get the little plastic "keeper" back in place...it had popped off but luckily stayed in the base. I don't want to over-react and over-state things, but Really!...a $400 storage case that will only hold a pair of sunglasses and a pair of small gloves, and the flimsy hinge breaks the first time I use it???!!! Really? The price point indicates a product of much better quality BRP.
    JB
    John B.

Spyder Garage

From what I have seen, Mother BRP's accessories are poorly made and performance /quality was not a concern. If they put as much thought into the product as they do in the fancy packaging, we would all be a little better off.

Mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

USE CAUTION WHEN OPENING THE URBAN RACK!!
    Yesterday I opened the lid to get my glasses out and the left hinge (plastic) pulled completely out of the base!!! I was unable to remedy it on the road, so after getting back home I took the rack off the bike and wound up taking it apart (the 5 black machine screws and nylock nuts) in order to get the little plastic "keeper" back in place...it had popped off but luckily stayed in the base. I don't want to over-react and over-state things, but Really!...a $400 storage case that will only hold a pair of sunglasses and a pair of small gloves, and the flimsy hinge breaks the first time I use it???!!! Really? The price point indicates a product of much better quality BRP.
    JB
    When I open mine the plastic hinge pops and cracks.. I am expecting it to break at anytime

Mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Mine too! I feel like it's going to break every time I open or close it. This is good info, xwingnut. I'm still thinking I might return this thing.

Does BRP ever issue recalls on their accessories?!

Spyder Garage

Default had it over a year now

I have the same "omg are the hinges going to break?" feeling every time I use mine (which is pretty frequently). If there's any "trick" to it that I've found that causes less of a creak/crack/hangup when you close it, it's to push towards the hinge as you close. That seems to help with the weird hang up (where it seems to get stuck half way down?). Hard to describe unless you've experienced it.

that said, I've been using it at least once a week and sometimes daily for about a year now and it hasn't broken yet.

I did replace the lock with a large barrel key that matches my saddlebag lock replacements since I twisted the original urban rack key and also one of my saddlebag keys -- so I got 3 matching replacement locks and I'm very happy with the new keys.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White