Spyder Garage

Default Changed My Spark Plugs

Last Saturday with the help of friend and fellow Spyderlover Jim who drove 40+ miles one way to help I now have fresh plugs in. It's not hard to do, but you do need to remove a lot. After removing all the side panels and the front headlight cover I removed the frunk (you do not need to remove this, but I did to make it easier for the new shocks) the instrument/windshield assembly, and air box assembly. For the instrument/windshield assemble there are two 10mm bolts by the headlights and two #30 torx screws-one on each side back by the glove box that need to be removed. There are also 3 wire connecters on the left side that you will need to disconnect. Once that is done you can lift the complete assembly off by pulling forward and up.

Since I have the hand brake we had to slide and turn it to the side of the Spyder due to the hydraulic line. Once clear I strapped it to the side of the spyder.

Once that is removed you have access to the air box. There is a metal bar that runs across the front held on by one 10mm bolt on each end. remove that and then remove the air cleaner. reach into where the cleaner was and there is a twist lock that you turn counter clock wise to disconnect the hose that connects the two air boxes together On the right side air box cut the cable tie and move the wires out of the way so you can remove that air box.

Once the air boxes are removed you will have easy access to the coil packs and then the sparkplugs. Torque them to 14+/- 1 Nm. I was able to remove them with out the aid of the wrench just using my hand so they must loosen up with mileage.

I have 34,000 miles on the bike, but looking at the plugs I removed I am going for 40,000 before I change them again.

Side note - if you plan to do this yourself and was thinking about putting on the Tri Axis handlebars this is the perfect time to do that as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Holy Moly, I thought my RS took some gutting to get to the plugs.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done...

Always nice to have an assistant. It is a hassle on the RT's (998) but doable. You can also do it without removing the airbox but it is a tricky manuver coming in through the instrument panel. But now that you know it will not be a problem the next time.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black