Thread: Dyno Jet Tuner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dyno Jet Tuner

Can you Dyno jet tuner our Spyders? And if you can, what that will do for one of our bikes? Worth it?
    Last edited by wengerda; 03-01-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Can you Dyno jet tuner our Spyders? And if you can, what that will do for one of our bikes? Worth it?
    I have heard it can be done. However, I believe there are various sensors that need disconnected. Speed sensors. I also heard the ABS may trigger a code while on the dyno.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

What other modifications do you have on the machine. The fuel mixture control that comes on these engines is quite efficient even with many pipe and air mods. Unlike the dyno jets of yore on carburated engines these are fuel injected and many sensors inform the computers on the mixture needed for optimum output. If your basically stock imho it is not worth it and you may have more issues than you bargained for...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What other modifications do you have on the machine. The fuel mixture control that comes on these engines is quite efficient even with many pipe and air mods. Unlike the dyno jets of yore on carburated engines these are fuel injected and many sensors inform the computers on the mixture needed for optimum output. If your basically stock imho it is not worth it and you may have more issues than you bargained for...
    Not so sure this is true. It seems somewhat common for one cylinder to run rich while the other runs lean.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not so sure this is true. It seems somewhat common for one cylinder to run rich while the other runs lean.
    I believe the OP has a 1330 so this may not fit anymore.

Bottom line is this. Our motors - and any one for that matter - are designed to obtain maximum performance while at the same time maximizing the efficiency of the catalytic converter. This requires setting the Air-Fuel Ratio - AFR - to 14.7:1. Not wonderful for power or fuel economy but obtains the "stoichiometric" ratio to keep the Cat happy. It's all about the Cat.

There is a Power Commander V product for the 2015 RT. The documentation states that the stock configuration will achieve an AFR of 13.8:1. So, you can Google what happens to a Cat when you run a rich mixture through it. Therefore I would not install the Power Commander unless I removed the Cat. Which is more expense. On my 2012, the Power Commander set the AFR to 13.6:1, and I achieved a 10% increase in mileage along with better performance - at least as far as the butt dyno was concerned. But I didn't actually set out to do this in the beginning. It became a necessity after I installed JT's air filter and removed the Cat. The ECU started throwing lean codes because of that and the Power Commander solved it. It's been trouble free since.

To put the entire Bike on a dyno and then do tuning? Don't remember any post by anybody that's found a dyno that could successfully test a reverse trike.

So, Wengerda, I couldn't give you any specifics on the 1330, but I could fill up a whole page on things I learned in general and things I trained up to before I attempted to run this thing. You really need to understand how the Power Commander and the Spyder EFI interact with each other. But, nobody wants to see that here. So shoot me a PM if you want to talk more and I'll be glad to give you the download.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238