GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Hitch from Big Bike Parts

Does anyone have the trailer hitch that Big Bike Parts sell? If so what is the pro and con of this hitch?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Does anyone have the trailer hitch that Big Bike Parts sell? If so what is the pro and con of this hitch?
    Put one on my ST. Will also fit on RT or RS. Works well for me.

Cheaper to buy. Mounts the same.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Big Bike Parts

It looks great and installed in about 15 minutes. My son was reading the install instructions and we
    while he was doing that I went into the shop , had it installed by the time he was done reading.
    The only thing I would have liked, is the bolts was not black. little paint and you are good to go.

Spyder Garage

Have one on my bike; other than not impressed with the quality of their powder coating works fine.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

I just installed the same on my 2012 RTS looks good and was easy to to put on.

Spyder Garage

Does it affect your warranty if you buy a hitch thats not made by BRP. I was reading in their litature that theirs is the only one warranty approved

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgedad View Post
    Does it affect your warranty if you buy a hitch thats not made by BRP. I was reading in their litature that theirs is the only one warranty approved
    That is correct! The mounting is different I believe. It does not incorporate the axle for mounting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgedad View Post
    Only if you have a failure in your Spyder that can be shown to have been caused by the use of a non-BRP hitch. That would be pretty nigh impossible to prove. So no, don't worry about your warranty being impacted.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HITCH MOUNTING

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    That is correct! The mounting is different I believe. It does not incorporate the axle for mounting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jack
    ...Sorry Jack you are wrong, all the Hitches for Spyders involve the axel either directly ( under the Axel nut ) or indirectly ( bolt thru the axel ).......However the new F-3 hitch from Bushtec bolts directly to the Swingarm. .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Sorry Jack you are wrong, all the Hitches for Spyders involve the axel either directly ( under the Axel nut ) or indirectly ( bolt thru the axel ).......However the new F-3 hitch from Bushtec bolts directly to the Swingarm. .......Mike
    Thanks Mike, I like the axel mount better, (axel through and part of the mount). I would guess that's why the warranty only with the OEM hitch. On the other hand I have not heard of any problems with the after market hitch so far. Can anyone out there add to this.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Love mine, had zero problems with it, very easy to put on, and towed my bunkhouse camper over 4,000 miles with it last year.

Be aware that if you have the Big Bike trailer hitch and the Big Bike mudflap extender
    you may have clearance problems.
    When I hit a pothole the swing arm dropped down, the mudflap extender popped over the hitch, and it cracked the back fender on the bike and broke the extender.
    I replaced the fender, received a new extender for free, and modified it so I wouldn't have problems again.

You would think that both being made by the same company they would work together.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The Big Bike trailer hitch bolts on exactly the same as the BRP hitch. Long bolt through the axel.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

We have had it on our RTS for over a year with no ill effects. Replaced the supplied bolts with black. Had a little issue with the bolts wanting to loosen up but a bit of removable loctite took care of that. The hitch is also available from SpyderLovers vendor Value Accessories at a discount.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images