Spyder Garage

Default Switched from 2012 RSS SE5 to 2015 F3S SE6

Yesterday, I got the 2015 F3S SE6 due to the Spring Fever Event. My question is, when I had the RSS I knew to shift at 5200+ RPMs. I've read on here that somebody shifts at 3000 to 3500 RPMs. I looked at the manual several times and the only thing I could find was in the practice session it said to start and shift at 3000. I would like to know from veteran F3S ryders on what is a good range to shift at. My wife is going to ryde the 2012 RSS now. Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Upshifting at 3,000 rpm is a good place to start.
    Personally; I upshift my RT at no more than 2,500 rpm...
    (But that's just me! )
    Enjoy your new ryde!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Both are close 2850

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3 SHIFTING

The F-3 has the 1330 Ace engine, and has more HP and Torque......the power band is also lower.....So it can be shifted as low as 2500 RPM's without any strain to the drivetrain........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the information. So in general, 2500 to 3500 is a good shift point? What would the highest that one person would go before shifting? It just seems that you would be shifting gears a lot through town. I just know the 998 is a high rev engine and switching to a low rev it freaks me out a little, I'm sorry for so many questions. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default The Automated System Cannot Shift Too Soon - trust it

Quote Originally Posted by Myersd802003 View Post
    when I had the RSS I knew to shift at 5200+ RPMs. I've read on here that somebody shifts at 3000 to 3500 RPMs. I looked at the manual several times and the only thing I could find was in the practice session it said to start and shift at 3000. I would like to know from veteran F3S ryders on what is a good range to shift at. My wife is going to ryde the 2012 RSS now. Thank you.

Trust the way it's built - it won't let you shift before a certain amount of revs have built up, which varies from gear to gear.

First to second will take place at around 11mph and around or just over 2000 rpm, but 5th to 6th won't take place until you have about 2500rpm built up, at about 36 or 37mph.

You cannot lug (or damage this engine through running it too slowly,) because the gearbox will automatically shift down to a lower gear when necessary, even on the SE5.

The sooner you change the better your fuel economy.

Spyder Garage

The manual says very little. Your F3 comes equipped with the 1330 triple. A good place to start is 3000 - 3500. You will find the sweet spot for your particular machine quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've found that the best shifting RPM's for me is 2500 for 1st to 2nd and then 3000 to 3500 for all gears above 2nd. 1st to 2nd is a little bit harsh above 2500, for me at least.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Default SHIFT POINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Myersd802003 View Post
    Thank you all for the information. So in general, 2500 to 3500 is a good shift point? What would the highest that one person would go before shifting? It just seems that you would be shifting gears a lot through town. I just know the 998 is a high rev engine and switching to a low rev it freaks me out a little, I'm sorry for so many questions. Thank you.
    There is a difference between WOULD GO...AND SHOULD GO..( for shifting )...You can always rev it to the red line on the tachometer.....But this is un-wise for a lot of reasons. You want to stay in the sweet spot of the Power Band if you are really Smoking it.......But for the best Gas mileage, you want to shift in the lower REV range as long as you aren't lugging the engine. This is something you will learn quickly if you are trying to learn your engine .....if you just go out and pleasure ride, it will take longer because you find out in-advertently so to speak.....................Sorry this was so long winded but I wanted you to get it right.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-01-2016 at 01:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

What are the "lot of reasons" it is unwise to shift at redline? Fuel economy is all that comes to mind and that is outweighed by the fun factor for many. As long as your oil temps (not just water temps) are up, redline shifts will have virtually no effect on engine life.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Default ALL THE TIME AT REDLINE

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    What are the "lot of reasons" it is unwise to shift at redline? Fuel economy is all that comes to mind and that is outweighed by the fun factor for many. As long as your oil temps (not just water temps) are up, redline shifts will have virtually no effect on engine life.
    Friend if you feel ( and I think you do ) that shifting at the REDLINE is the way to operate your ride ......there is nothing I can possibly say that will sway you from that thinking..........good luck & God Bless .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Friend if you feel ( and I think you do ) that shifting at the REDLINE is the way to operate your ride ......there is nothing I can possibly say that will sway you from that thinking..........good luck & God Bless .......Mike
    I do not feel that shifting at redline is the best way to operate our ride, and, in fact, it hasn't been to redline so far. But.....I don't see anything wrong with doing that if one so chooses. That's why I was curious as to the "lots of reasons" you say that it is unwise to shift at redline. Maybe there's a point I haven't considered. Members on forums often make statements that others believe until challenged. It has happened to me and I stood corrected. I'm interested in the facts and sharing them on the forum. If someone claims one oil is better than another; I need to know why. If there are many reasons not to shift at redline, I need to ask what they are. I don't really ride an F3, but am very interested in what I learn on this forum.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Lots of reasons?
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraleamay View Post
    Lots of reasons?
    That's the phrase I questioned from post #9.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There is a difference between WOULD GO...AND SHOULD GO..( for shifting )...You can always rev it to the red line on the tachometer.....But this is un-wise for a lot of reasons. You want to stay in the sweet spot of the Power Band if you are really Smoking it.......But for the best Gas mileage, you want to shift in the lower REV range as long as you aren't lugging the engine. This is something you will learn quickly if you are trying to learn your engine .....if you just go out and pleasure ride, it will take longer because you find out in-advertently so to speak.....................Sorry this was so long winded but I wanted you to get it right.....Mike
    Mike--could you repeat that I guess it might depend on how fast a another vehicle is coming up behind you :-) When I'm bird watching I shift 2500, freeway entrance 5000-6000.

Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 03-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

RE: Shifting at redline. There are at least two people from the early days on this forum that liked to shift at redline. Both had engine failures. Result of redline shifting???
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-14-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Shifting at redline. There are at least two people from the early days on this forum that liked to shift at redline. Both had engine failures. Result of redline shifting???
    I would bet that there were other factors that also figured into the engine failures. When I was a kid my brother and I both got 125 cc Yamaha enduro's. I broke mine in the way my dad taught us and my brother took his out to see how fast he could make it go. His engine was toast before 3,000 miles while mine died at 16,000 miles.....not because of the engine either, the frame broke.

The twin cylinder SE spyders needed to be shifted at around 4,000 rpm to avoid slippage in the clutch where on the triple is not an issue. In the lower gears and around town I shift at 2500 and for on ramps or for passing somewhere between 5 and 6.

I can't say I have hit the red line on either of my spyders but did come pretty close briefly on the RS.
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 03-15-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not so enduro?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    I would bet that there were other factors that also figured into the engine failures. When I was a kid my brother and I both got 125 cc Yamaha enduro's. I broke mine in the way my dad taught us and my brother took his out to see how fast he could make it go. His engine was toast before 3,000 miles while mine died at 16,000 miles.....not because of the engine either, the frame broke.
    Just laughed a little, because the enduro was not so endurance.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Mike--could you repeat that I guess it might depend on how fast a another vehicle is coming up behind you :-) When I'm bird watching I shift 2500, freeway entrance 5000-6000.

Darrell
    This is what I do. Generally, I aim to keep it above 3,200 RPM, I do go to about 5,000-6,000 RPM's getting on the expressway.

Spyder Garage

Default Your birds are probably faster than mine

Quote Originally Posted by Graptor View Post
    This is what I do. Generally, I aim to keep it above 3,200 RPM, I do go to about 5,000-6,000 RPM's getting on the expressway.
    This is a noisy engine---anywhere in the 2500-3200 shift point in a low cruising speed is fine. Riding through a residential housing area I prefer a lower rpm--but to each his own--increasing speed from 2500 rpm does not lug the engine. I ride my turbo Hayabusa below 2000 rpm in a residential area--& the stock red line is 10,800 or 11,200 on my re-flashed ecu. It's a personal choice that makes you feel comfortable.
    Stay comfortable & ride safe...
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I just know when to shift based on sound.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I bet their is NO evidence to back that up! Modern engines can be revved all day long with virtually no ill affects. Ask a racer, an engine builder, BRP, etc. The rev limiter will protect the engine to BRP's satisfaction and warranty.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Graptor View Post
    Well written! RPM is situational and sometimes redline is the best choice for the situation.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06