Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For the life of me I don't understand why BRP didn't put the rear valve stem on the right side where it's wide-open spaces and extremely easy to get to. On my '14 LTD, I have to lay down on the floor and be a contortionist to get to the valve stem. I do like the suggestion, though, of putting on an extension long enough to fit through the sprocket and fasten it there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand why BRP didn't put the rear valve stem on the right side where it's wide-open spaces and extremely easy to get to. On my '14 LTD, I have to lay down on the floor and be a contortionist to get to the valve stem. I do like the suggestion, though, of putting on an extension long enough to fit through the sprocket and fasten it there.
    I assume it's because that side is where the exhaust is, and there may be safety and/or liability issues should someone get burned while pumping up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 85 degree valve stem next time

Quote Originally Posted by arvol View Post
    I bought a valve extinction that is about 6 inch long put it on the valve makes it much easier to air back tire.
    When you replace your rear tire be sure and have an 85 degree valve stem installed (and FACING TO THE RIGHT!). SURE DOES MAKE IT EASY!!

CapnCrunch, in Montana

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Can you put the extension on and route it to the sprocket and tie it there
    That would put the fill valve right where it is easy to get to

And Bob your avatar can flashy thing me all you want I will still remember its you
    That's fair enough...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    When you replace your rear tire be sure and have an 85 degree valve stem installed (and FACING TO THE RIGHT!). SURE DOES MAKE IT EASY!!

CapnCrunch, in Montana
    Thanks for the suggestion, will this one work? I just ordered a Kuhmo this morning. The dealer says they charge 108.00 to put it on. Is that a good option or should I try to remove the wheel myself and take it to Discount tire?
    http://www.mototireudismountsa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AC-ValveStem-85
    Last edited by AY4B; 02-29-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

That sounds like about an hour's labor (or slightly more), which sounds fair - especially since you didn't order the tire from the dealer. I would make sure they are going to balance it for that price. Balancing the tire is where tire dealers run into trouble as it won't fit on their machine.

If you want to try to take the rim off yourself, there are some things to watch out for. I think finless Bob has a video on how to do it, if you want to search the DIY forum section.

As for the valve stem, the one you linked to looks like a good one, but before I would order it, I'd get down and take a look at where it mounts to see if that's the angle you want. Others have recommended 45 deg, I think. One consideration, is that if you are thinking about adding a FOBO TMPS, you want to make sure that angle gives you enough clearance for the sensor.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-29-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Well, the obvious answer is that using an easy-to-screw-on extension can make the job easier, depending on what kind of air chuck you are using. When I air up at home, I've got a chuck that grabs onto the valve stem and holds on tight so I don't have to hold it. It also has a very accurate pressure gauge which is integral to the unit. So that makes the job relatively easy. It looks something like this...

But on the road at a fuel stop it can be hard to get in there without some kind of handy extension like the one from HD that JayBros linked to above. I agree that it looks to be very handy and easy to use.

Here is where I got mine. New one has braided hose and batteries are easier to change.
    http://www.amazon.com/Astro-3018-Dig...+tire+inflator
    2014 RT Limited, Cognac (Wife's) Hand Brake, Heated Comfort Seat, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid.
    2014 RT-S, Cognac (Mine) Tri Axis Bars, Comfort Seat, BRP Backrest, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid, Spyder2go Drink Holder.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like about an hour's labor (or slightly more), which sounds fair - especially since you didn't order the tire from the dealer. I would make sure they are going to balance it for that price. Balancing the tire is where tire dealers run into trouble as it won't fit on their machine.

If you want to try to take the rim off yourself, there are some things to watch out for. I think finless Bob has a video on how to do it, if you want to search the DIY forum section.

As for the valve stem, the one you linked to looks like a good one, but before I would order it, I'd get down and take a look at where it mounts to see if that's the angle you want. Others have recommended 45 deg, I think. One consideration, is that if you are thinking about adding a FOBO TMPS, you want to make sure that angle gives you enough clearance for the sensor.
    I called them again and once he realized it was a car tire, he said they are not allowed to install car tires on spyders. Ill probably do it like Finless Bob does on on his video. The only difference is he does it on a RT and mine is an ST. It shouldn't be that much different though.
    Last edited by AY4B; 02-29-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by keefer View Post
    Here is where I got mine. New one has braided hose and batteries are easier to change.
    http://www.amazon.com/Astro-3018-Dig...+tire+inflator
    That's the one I have, but I have the older one, where you have to take it apart to change the battery. I like how they improved it. It also looks like it may have a longer hose than the Eastwood one I referenced earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-29-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I called them again and once he realized it was a car tire, he said they are not allowed to install car tires on spyders. Ill probably do it like Finless Bob does on on his video. The only difference is he does it on a RT and mine is an ST. It shouldn't be that much different though.
    You could also look for another dealer. There is no one (including BRP) who is "disallowing" any dealer to install a Kumho tire on your Spyder unless it's the dealer themselves. A Spyder is designed to run on an automotive tire, and in fact is manufactured with an automotive style rim. My dealer here in Pennsylvania would certainly install it, and I expect there are dealers in Texas who would as well.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

.... A Spyder is designed to run on an automotive tire, and in fact is manufactured with an automotive style rim.....
    And they are sold to the public running a tire that appears in every respect apart from the MC branding on the sidewall, to be nothing more than a very lightly made 'passenger car construction' tire....