Spyder Garage

Default More lights...more problems???

Having ridden bikes for over 50 years, I'm a firm believer in "safety in visibility!" I've always added lights in various combination in order to be seen...especially in the rear of the bike. Now...about to get a '14 RT Ltd that's stock (aka farkle-free) and wanting to start adding lights. Yesterday watched a Shawn Smoak video in which he warns against adding these extra lights to the Spyder as the CAN Bus system goes crazy and will cause many potential problems.
    My questions: Do you veterans out there agree? Will running all these extra lights off an independent fuse block solve this? and finally would someone offer up a brief description of what this CAN Bus system is and how it works.
    Sorry for such a wordy post, but I've come to trust this forum and the many experts who help us newby's out. THANKS!!!
    2016 RTS SE6
    '64 Honda CA95 "Dream"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Prof View Post
    Having ridden bikes for over 50 years, I'm a firm believer in "safety in visibility!" I've always added lights in various combination in order to be seen...especially in the rear of the bike. Now...about to get a '14 RT Ltd that's stock (aka farkle-free) and wanting to start adding lights. Yesterday watched a Shawn Smoak video in which he warns against adding these extra lights to the Spyder as the CAN Bus system goes crazy and will cause many potential problems.
    My questions: Do you veterans out there agree? Will running all these extra lights off an independent fuse block solve this? and finally would someone offer up a brief description of what this CAN Bus system is and how it works.
    Sorry for such a wordy post, but I've come to trust this forum and the many experts who help us newby's out. THANKS!!!
    Put the lights on and don't worry about it. Especially if they are LED (I'm not sure why anyone would use something else). If you wire them wrong then yes, you'll have issues. But that is true of any vehicle.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We have the brightsides front and back, fender channels, and the HMT without any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I've added the Custom Dynamics high mount brake light, two extra rear marker lights and rear facing turn signal lights on the mirrors with no problems
    2013 RT-S SE5

Custom Dynamics high mount brake light
    LED rear marker lamps
    LED rear facing mirror mounted turn signals
    Homemade bright aluminum barend caps
    Leather mud guards
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Show Chrome Smart Mount backrest
    Dash mounted power point
    Prosport Performance Digital volt gauge and Digital clock
    RAM MOUNT gps mount
    XM Radio
    Leather dash bag
    Grip Buddies

Spyder Garage

Default Put them on

I luv my LED's and have LOTS of them...never an issue. TricLED (site sponsor) have the best IMHO as well as can answer any ? you have. Shawn has some personal position that I just scratch my head on...but each to his own. Live and let live and all that good stuff...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Any electrical addon to your Spyder may be defective and could emit so much electrical noise to interfere with the communication signals on the CAN BUS. In reality it does not happen often. So it should not stop you from putting on lots of lights. What you should do is buy good parts from reputable suppliers. All addons should have connectors in the correct strategic locations. This is to aid in future disassembly for repairs and for easy disconnect for troubleshooting if a problem crops up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have seen the video you refer to. Shawn is the mechanic I use when I need something that I cannot do myself. Here is what I have gleaned from him when talking to him.
    1. Use TricLED or Custom Dynamics - steer clear of very cheap Ebay stuff
    2. Think about the install and where you place/run wiring. If works needs to be done, be able to disconnect and easily reconnect.
    3. It is very hard when the owner has someone wire lights and then it comes into Shawn for other services. Tracking down electrical gremlins is not easy!
    4. Use Positaps and Posiloks when possible - easily disconnected and reconnected
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, Shawn Smoak is incorrect this time. The lights are NOT on the Can Buss!

FYI that video he posted the problem was something else. The person on that ride was with Ann Meyer on an Alaska Trip and her bike broke down again later for the same issue. I forget what it was now but the light was not the issue.

You can ask Ann about it if you want to know more.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ADDED LIGHTS

....Someone posted an incredible explanation on how the Can-bus system works on our Spyders so you will have to look for it.....It really doesn't apply for what you want to do tho...........I have done a lot of LED lights on My RT and they are ALL DIY from stuff I bought on E-Bay.....It all works fine ......I would get an add-on fuse block ( Banggood.com $ 8.00 ) to isolate any stuff you do......I would only do LED's.....Also look on E-bay at these connectors item# 201107737645, they are the easiest I have found because you can dis-connect by un-plugging from the wire it's attached to, then just re-plugging.. look at them it's self-explanatory....they sell larger amounts and less just search the different sellers....PS these are very small.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default More lights...more problems???

Thanks for asking. Lots of us have added LED 's with no problems. The blinkers may go hyper flash but that is correctable. Use the vendors & the info provided, you wont go wrong. Better yet come to spyderfest & get installed on-sight. By the pros ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456600452.726422.jpg fyi my tricled (long) & rivco (short)lights I got last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As BMWLarry said: Get your lights from a known source of high quality products... Don't try to buy cheap lights!
    Hook them up correctly, and you'll never have a problem with them!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black