Thread: BRP was no help

Spyder Garage

Default BRP was no help

This is my first post so bear with me....I have a2012 rts se5 called my dealer about the heat recall he was told by can-am no way recall is for 2013 only ,but thanks to this form I had the recall #,s

recall was done by dealer and I told him I had adjustable vents which I should be entitled to a refund. This is what Can AM wrote him "Just because we provide updates and improvement for models does not mean we need to provide reimbursement for other accessories. The customer can use the new scoops or take off the scoop kit and use his defectors if he prefers." This makes no sense to me because if I were to put the vents back on Would I not have two big holes??????? Thanks for all your help.

Gubby

Spyder Garage

I think you should be grateful they did the Vent Recall for you as a "Gesture of Goodwill". I had a 2013 RTS and the recall was only for that year. I too bought the vents but traded for a 2014 before recall was done for me.

Remember "If you never expect Anything you will never be Disappointed"

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The full recall is for the 2013 RT only!

BRP then offered just the air scoops for other years 2010-1012 as a good will gesture. It's NOT a recall for those years!

For 2013's users did get some benefit payback for the adjustable vents. For other years that does not apply since again it's not a recall and just a "nice thing" BRP is doing.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES!! You should have been reimbursed for the cost of your adjustable lowers...
    Tell the dealer to call BRP, and be there when they make the call...
    Good luck; please let us know how this all works out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    YES!! You should have been reimbursed for the cost of your adjustable lowers...
    Tell the dealer to call BRP, and be there when they make the call...
    Good luck; please let us know how this all works out!
    Not on a 2012....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

t
    Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Not on a 2012....

Bob
    this bike is still under brp warranty

Spyder Garage

On 12 the heat was never any trouble. Ridding in tx ,and all over the west and east. Never cook my but or legs. I ride in shorts all them. So if they put them on. Be happy. The wings will help with the air on you really good. So you have bout keep them on. You can get some parts to fit them on with the scoops, it can be done for shure. Have a great riding year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I called a couple of weeks ago and BRP said no to the recall and I had stated that we have been complaining about the heat issue since we had it new. Its a 2011 RTS/SE5. For the cost, Ill just buy them myself and install them. I dont think any other years will ever be included. IMO the recall was strictly based on the PD's Spyder catching fire. Even though others have as well. We just dont have the voice of a PD that just bought them to replace their bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I think you were pretty fortunate to get the work done for free. There's a thing that happens when a company steps up and tries to do the right thing where the customer still ends up unhappy because they didn't get absolutely everything they wanted, and the company just settles back and wonders "why bother at all" when the end is still a post that says "BRP was no help".

BRP has a hit and miss record of customer service (that is clearly improving), but in this case I think we should be appreciative of the rather expensive modification they paid for instead of the far more minor cost of the vents (which you can likely sell here for at least half of what you paid for them). I think we want to encourage the kind of courtesy they showed you in making the modification to a 2012.

While your glass might not be running over, it is certainly far past half full and from where I sit BRP was of a great deal of help to you.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default What..!!

Seems to me they were a great help. They are getting better and more involved but as we all know they cannot please everyone. You got more than you bargained for but less than you wanted. Your the winner here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I called a couple of weeks ago and BRP said no to the recall and I had stated that we have been complaining about the heat issue since we had it new. Its a 2011 RTS/SE5. For the cost, Ill just buy them myself and install them. I dont think any other years will ever be included. IMO the recall was strictly based on the PD's Spyder catching fire. Even though others have as well. We just dont have the voice of a PD that just bought them to replace their bikes.

SEVERAL people in my area have had the scoops added by a dealer for free on 2010-2012...

So it is done... not sure why your getting a hard time about it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

SEVERAL people in my area have had the scoops added by a dealer for free on 2010-2012...

So it is done... not sure why your getting a hard time about it.

Bob
    Well I did call BRP direct. We just moved to the Dallas, TX. Might try and find a dealer here and see what they say.

2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the scoops put on our 2012 at the dealer for zero cost. I was NOT reimbursed for the adjustable air deflectors, so I sold them.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Question How do you know?

The full recall is for the 2013 RT only!

BRP then offered just the air scoops for other years 2010-1012 as a good will gesture. It's NOT a recall for those years!

For 2013's users did get some benefit payback for the adjustable vents. For other years that does not apply since again it's not a recall and just a "nice thing" BRP is doing.

Bob

I recently acquired a used 2013 RT Limited that the selling dealer is "pretty sure" has had the recall performed, but has no record.
    I checked the VIN through the BRP site and it says there are no open recalls on it.
    But how does one determine if the recall has indeed been performed? Has something overt been added or something removed?
    Thanking you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not on a 2012....

Bob

You're 100% correct; I was thinking of the process for the 2013s...
    (Sorry...)
    Since it's a completely elective deal for the other years; keep your adjustable deflectors, and try selling them to another RT owner.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freeman1952 View Post
    I recently acquired a used 2013 RT Limited that the selling dealer is "pretty sure" has had the recall performed, but has no record.
    I checked the VIN through the BRP site and it says there are no open recalls on it.
    But how does one determine if the recall has indeed been performed? Has something overt been added or something removed?
    Thanking you.
    The dealer can check with BRP to"make sure" that the recall work was done. If your '13 has the scoops, it likely was done. You can also enter your VIN on the NHTSA website to find out.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

BTW, your dealer is either a dope or lazy for not accessing the service records from BRP regarding the recall.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freeman1952 View Post
    Thanking you.
    Does it have these air scoops? If so, the recall was done. If not, it wasn't done.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-25-2016 at 09:17 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gubby View Post
    t
    this bike is still under brp warranty
    The heat recall work is not a warranty job on the 2012. It was an optional goodwill job that included only installing the air scoops, nothing more. The heat recall work on the 2013 involved changes to the fuel evaporative control system plus the air scoops and was pretty much mandatory, not optional. Big difference.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Smile I feel better now.

It does indeed have the scoops shown, so I feel better about it.
    Thanks for pointing that out.[
    QUOTE=IdahoMtnSpyder;1095324]Does it have these air scoops? If so, the recall was done. If not, it wasn't done.

[/QUOTE]