Spyder Garage

Default How can I "de-chrome" my RT-S?

So I have a 2015 Pearl White RT-S. Her name is Itsy Bitsy, and yes, her custom paint job is spider webs. Now I'm in the process of trying to remove all the chrome and 'silver' (I call them grey) parts to be replaced with black. I bought the RT-S specifically for the black rims, chose the black for the Tri-Axis bars, my FOBO's are black, I'm about to install the Pearl White & Black Ultimate seat with a black gas door, etc, etc. But there are other parts - like the rear view mirrors - that I can't find a black replacement for, or instructions on how to have them taken apart for painting/powder coating. Except I did find instructions on how to remove and blacken the windshield brackets.
    Anyone have suggestions for other parts? Pictures? I know this is a bit backwards - seems everyone wants to ADD chrome, and I'm trying to remove it. But I just want a pure Black and White bike.
    Especially helpful would be links to vendors that have replacement products in black. I'd prefer that to painting.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GWRRA Virginia District Director. Because we don't care what you ride, just that you ride safe!

Tri Axis Handlebars / CB & upgraded antenna / GPS & Cell phone integration / Trailer Hitch / FOBO TP Monitors / Black & Pearl Ultimate seat
    Spyder Cuff / Custom Paint / Laser Alignment / Flag Poles / 3rd & 4th Rear Brake & Turn LED's / Gear Brake Decelerometer Module
    A whole bunch of lights from LaMonster and SpyderPops

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GOING --- BLACK

...As far as plastic goes to the best of my knowledge paint is your only option....And the Chrome on the plastic could be removed via a chemical process.....I would go to and Auto paint shop and ask them this question......................Good Luck............Mike

Spyder Garage

This process was suggested in the dashboard paint thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wHglTJl6A

Pat

Spyder Garage

Use Plasti dip a spray on plastic coating that you can remove very easily if you don't like it.You would put this on right over your chrome. http://www.plastidip.com/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Lot of others may want the chrome. Ask to trade parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

REMOVE the chrome?!?

Seriously; Plasti-Dip would work, as would simply removing the chrome pieces, scuffing them down with some steel wool, and hitting them with black paint!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No chrome

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only biker that does not want chrome. The only chrome on my FJR1300 is the exhaust. The only chrome on my 2015 RT is a couple of markers on the sides. Brushed alloy is acceptable. But the less chrome, the better I like it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you on the no chrome look! I don't think you will be able to find the pieces available in black from any source so you will have to take them off and have them painted or powdercoated. I wouldn't do the plasti dip thing myself - I don't think it looks that good.

There are videos in the DIY How To forum section that show how to remove all of the Tupperware. Good luck and post pictures when you have it done.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POWDERCOATING ?????

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm with you on the no chrome look! I don't think you will be able to find the pieces available in black from any source so you will have to take them off and have them painted or powdercoated. I wouldn't do the plasti dip thing myself - I don't think it looks that good.

There are videos in the DIY How To forum section that show how to remove all of the Tupperware. Good luck and post pictures when you have it done.
    I could be confused about how this process works, but don't you need to electrically charge the part being coated....plus it's Heat cured - like 200 * centigrade ...Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-24-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

a can of flat black paint
    a bottle of vinegar to treat the offensive things
    and take your time
    then bye bye chrome

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Great Ideas!

Thank you all sooooo much!

Parts like the tops of the rear-view mirrors and the tiny chrome bits down front will be the hardest. as I don't think they can be 'replaced' if I mess it up. But I will be very, very careful and follow all your painting suggestions!
    GWRRA Virginia District Director. Because we don't care what you ride, just that you ride safe!

Tri Axis Handlebars / CB & upgraded antenna / GPS & Cell phone integration / Trailer Hitch / FOBO TP Monitors / Black & Pearl Ultimate seat
    Spyder Cuff / Custom Paint / Laser Alignment / Flag Poles / 3rd & 4th Rear Brake & Turn LED's / Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you realize that we're expecting to see lots of pictures of the glorious results!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I hope you realize that we're expecting to see lots of pictures of the glorious results!
    Of course ... as long as it comes out ok! Never been one for broadcasting my mistakes.

Spyder Garage

Default Chrome removal

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat61 View Post
    So I have a 2015 Pearl White RT-S. Her name is Itsy Bitsy, and yes, her custom paint job is spider webs. Now I'm in the process of trying to remove all the chrome and 'silver' (I call them grey) parts to be replaced with black. I bought the RT-S specifically for the black rims, chose the black for the Tri-Axis bars, my FOBO's are black, I'm about to install the Pearl White & Black Ultimate seat with a black gas door, etc, etc. But there are other parts - like the rear view mirrors - that I can't find a black replacement for, or instructions on how to have them taken apart for painting/powder coating. Except I did find instructions on how to remove and blacken the windshield brackets.
    Anyone have suggestions for other parts? Pictures? I know this is a bit backwards - seems everyone wants to ADD chrome, and I'm trying to remove it. But I just want a pure Black and White bike.
    Especially helpful would be links to vendors that have replacement products in black. I'd prefer that to painting.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    I have used rustolium x2 for a long time painting chrome and most any part. Rough up with fine emary cloth or sandpaper, clean with mineral spirits and paint. Three shades available, matt black, saten, and high gloss. It is very good paint and easy touch up. Withsatands theWX very well..............

Spyder Garage

Default Gonna need a lot of masking tape

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    I have used rustolium x2 for a long time painting chrome and most any part. Rough up with fine emary cloth or sandpaper, clean with mineral spirits and paint. Three shades available, matt black, saten, and high gloss. It is very good paint and easy touch up. Withsatands theWX very well..............
    I think that's going to be the way to go for parts that are hard to remove (like the bit by the grill, the top of the mirrors, etc). I've used Rustoleum before, just not for something that will be driven in the rain at 65mph so I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me if that would work. Time to save the newspaper (will take a lot to cover the whole bike!) and buy some masking tape.
    Then I need only to decide what gloss finish I like.

Spyder Garage

Default My Experience

I used Dupli-Color Custom Wrap and really liked it. Easy to peal off if you get tired of it or get overspray on something by accident.
    I did just recently peal it off and used Dupli-color flat black. I tried a semi-gloss and couldn't get it to lay right. Lack of experience.
    Flats are a lot easier to spray and are more forgiving.
    I have not looked into painting the parts on the frunk yet.
    Take your time in a well ventilated area and use painters tape of various sizes and newspaper or plastic bags.

2014 RT S Cognac
    Spyderpops skidplate and belt guard. Squared Away Alignment. Bajaron Sway Bar. Show Chrome Smart Mount Large Backrest. BRP Adjustable Air Deflectors. Hopnel net and saddle bag liners. Lamonster NBV Highway Bracket - Trident Large Foot Peg. Rivco Cup Holder Mount & Kruzer Kaddy Kustom Kaddy Drink Holder - Leather. Tricled saddlebag, fender side & rear, 3rd & 4th brake light, and mirror turn signal LED's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat61 View Post
    Of course ... as long as it comes out ok! Never been one for broadcasting my mistakes.

We have Faith in you!