Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike Barn modification

I use the Bike Barn to store my Spyder. Overall I am very please with the construction. However one area that needs work is the strap down system at the front of the barn to hold closed when storing the Spyder.
    According to the company they used to provide a "U" shaped piece of metal with a pin that the front bar would fit into. They found users were stepping or driving over them causing them to bend. They changed to a strap with a grommet type system. However the first time I used mine the grommet ripped through the strap.
    So I headed out to Home Depot and while searching for things that might work I got the help for a very friendly employee and he took me to various places in the store showing me items that he thought could work. We eventually came to the Electrical department where they had metal conduits and assorted parts. I found the perfect replacement. It is heavy duty, you could jump on it and it won't bend or deform. It allows me to bolt directly to my platform and the metal tubing from the Bike Barn fits perfectly into the slot. I then just finger tighten a bolt and it holds the front section fully taught. Costs around $7 each.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hokiev; 02-25-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...

That looks like a more secure system to keep things snug.. congrats.. creative minds at work...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY 'er

....Score another one for Ingenuity ......making something useful for something it was not intended for takes TALENT................you Sir have it........................Almost all the Farkles on my Spyder have come this way..................Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks I have been looking at modifying the bike barn front tie down system too.
    I secured the strap to the wooden frome with a washer and lag bolt but I find it hard to thread the small piece of material through the plastic clamp to secure it.

Spyder Garage

Good going but heads up apply some anti-seize to the threads & make sure it gets in the closed area. save you a later headache. You can also replace the bolt with a more user friendly "T" bolt or something you can loosen with just your hand "thumb wheel caps".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-24-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a stray thought here...
    Could you adapt that bracket to hold a spring-loaded locking bolt? It would even be easier to use than the T-Bolts that were suggested...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another good example of back-yard engineering.

I always wondered about how to secure those. It's basically a tent with all the problems a tent might have.

Good for you; and thanks for sharing.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

My Bike Barn is on the way. Out here we have ground squirrels that love to climb up into the engine compartments of parked vehicles and nibble on the tasty wires and hoses. Your solution looks great; I need something to keep varmints out!
    Last edited by Stumpy6Guns; 06-07-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    My Bike Barn is on the way. Out here we have ground squirrels that love to climb up into the engine compartments of parked vehicles and nibble on the tasty wires and hoses. Your solution looks great; I need something to keep varmints out!
    I hope the Bike Barn works for you. Our grey squirrels, red squirrels, chipmunks, and groundhogs chew through the thick fabric on our heavy duty hoop houses like it's Kleenex. AND, the grey squirrels chew through our big, heavy plastic garbage tubs to get at our livestock feeds. We had to switch to galvanized steel tubs to store sunflower seeds and corn. There's apparently an entertainment element going on as well, because they keep enlarging their holes, in the lids especially, until there's nothing left but the perimeter!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Mice/rats/squirrels? I find the mouse and rat traps work well, also put the aqua colored poison (Decon?) inside a piece of PVC pipe with a diameter small enough that most cats and dogs can't get into.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

I also keep a small bag of Moth balls on the floor which seems to keep everything out.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    I also keep a small bag of Moth balls on the floor which seems to keep everything out.
    I'm going to swipe that idea for my Cycle Cabana if you don't mind!I really like that plywood pad too. I set mine up on a tarp but would like to rig up something better at some point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is kinda cool! I need to look into that...

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

Default Hi guys.

I just built a wooden pad and bike barn for a fellow member here in North jersey. I can do the same for you if your in the try state region. still learning how to post pics.. thanks

Spyder Garage

I bought a bunch of the small cotton drawstring bags and I put several mothballs in them. You can hang a few of these on the bike at the lower points to discourage the critters from munching on your bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Question on moth balls

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I bought a bunch of the small cotton drawstring bags and I put several mothballs in them. You can hang a few of these on the bike at the lower points to discourage the critters from munching on your bike.
    This sounds like a great idea, but the directions on the mothballs have all sorts of warnings about their toxicity and also says they're harmful to some plastics. Has anyone had any problems with the plastic or other components on the Spyders from using mothballs in a confined space like the Bike Barn? (If there's anything possible to worry about, I will!)
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)