Spyder Garage

Post Custom Dynamic High Mount Brake Light

HI, I was just wondering if anyone's spyder failed inspection because of having non-Dot lights on your spyder. I have purchased fender lights and turn signal and now told that I might have to disconnect my lights to pass inspection. Is this true? Or is this just a Virginia regulation?

Please respond.

Blade

Spyder Garage

i have the lights and had no problem, try another shop
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Its someone messing with your head.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who told you this rubbish?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default NO INSPECTIONS....

MOVE TO JERSEY!!!

Spyder Garage

I just ordered an XK glow set that has a break light feature where it flashes all the lights on red when you apply the breaks. I was wondering if this was Illegal in Texas. They frown on red lights on a bike.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ALL brakelights are red...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No issues with my CD brake lights on all 's owned since 2010. 2010, 2011, and 2014 RT's.

Try a different inspection site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NON-DOT

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    HI, I was just wondering if anyone's spyder failed inspection because of having non-Dot lights on your spyder. I have purchased fender lights and turn signal and now told that I might have to disconnect my lights to pass inspection. Is this true? Or is this just a Virginia regulation?

Please respond.

Blade
    ..IMHO.............IF any lights on your Spyder ( car, truck, RV etc. ) are not D.O.T. approved, you can have a problem if the person inspecting wants to be a STICKLER . The same goes for colors, I have met DOT regs on my Red & Amber LED's and where I put them.........However I also realize that NONE of them are DOT approved.............I have had my Spyder inspected ( for registration purposes ) a few times and haven't been challenged YET ...........................Mike . ......HOWEVER, READ POST # 17
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-24-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Post CD High Count Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its someone messing with your head.
    Thanks for the responses. I wish I could hear from a Virginia spyder rider because I will be highly upset with the dealer not informing of this problem.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could hear from a Virginia spyder rider because I will be highly upset with the dealer not informing of this problem.
    Why not check with VA DMV?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Arkansas has no inspections either.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put it on my spyder for the added safety effect. Never had an issue. Somebody pulling your SPYDER CHAIN, unless they are not RED..............

Spyder Garage

VA has some weird regulations. Best to check with VA DMV.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I'd try to run it thru inspection the way it is. If it fails, play stupid and say "I didn't know".......go home, disconnect the offending light, and go back the next day.

Once it passes, reconnect lights as you see fit.

Spyder Garage

Blade,

I have registered in VA two RT's in 4 years with Custom Dynamic LED's all around (HMT/brake modulator, Front / Rear Brightsides, Daytime Running LED's and front mudflap LED) and never had a problem with state inspections. I would take it to another shop, preferably a motorcycle shop.

I have been getting mine inspected at the local Honda Motorcycle dealership with no problems.

Good Luck
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I was informed that the "non DOT" posted info is more legal disclaimer showing that you should not use the additional lights as the only source for the implied light. Dont mount the high mount brake light & remove/disable the stock lights). DOT has riggious expensive testing is why many aftermarket lights are "non DOT" & to be used as extras not replacements. Make sense¿ you should also contact our vendors to confirm.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Please respond.

Blade
    Below is the VA Code with requested modification for LED's (HB939) currently in the Senate. Currently bottom line says that all lights have to be approved by the VA State Police Superintendent. My Spyder is lit up like a Christmas Tree and the only issue I had was with the Cat Bypass at one Station so I took it to another Station.

1. That § 46.2-1012 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
    § 46.2-1012. Headlights, auxiliary headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and illumination of license plates on motorcycles or autocycles.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle shall be equipped with at least one headlight which shall be of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent and shall be capable of projecting sufficient light to the front of such motorcycle or autocycle to render discernible a person or object at a distance of 200 feet. However, the lights shall not project a glaring or dazzling light to persons approaching such motorcycles or autocycles. In addition, each motorcycle or autocycle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary headlights of a type approved by the Superintendent except as otherwise provided in this section.
    Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with means of modulating the high beam of their headlights between high and low beam at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlights shall not be so modulated during periods when headlights would ordinarily be required to be lighted under § 46.2-1030.
    Notwithstanding § 46.2-1002, motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. Such lighting shall be (i) either red or amber in color and (ii) directed toward the ground in such a manner that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the motorcycle or autocycle stands at a distance of more than 10 feet from the vehicle. Such lighting shall not (a) project a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower or its equivalent from a single lamp or bulb; (b) be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating; or (c) be attached to the wheels of the motorcycle or autocycle.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways of the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least one brake light of a type approved by the Superintendent. Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with one or more auxiliary brake lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. The Superintendent may by regulation prescribe or limit the size, number, location, and configuration of such auxiliary brake lights.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle shall carry at the rear at least one or more red lights plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Such tail lights shall be constructed and so mounted in their relation to the rear license plate as to illuminate the license plate with a white light so that the same may be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Alternatively, a separate white light shall be so mounted as to illuminate the rear license plate from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Any such tail lights or special white light shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent.
    Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with a means of varying the brightness of the vehicle's brake light upon application of the vehicle's brakes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PROBABLY JUST VIRGINIA!

[QUOTE=Blade;1094659]HI, I was just wondering if anyone's spyder failed inspection because of having non-Dot lights on your spyder. I have purchased fender lights and turn signal and now told that I might have to disconnect my lights to pass inspection. Is this true? Or is this just a Virginia regulation?

Please respond.

I lived in VA for a while, and I remember, they do have some goofy laws. Still do, I guess.
    CapNCrunch, Montana

Spyder Garage

Post Custom Dynamic High Brake Light, fender lights and Turn Signal

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Below is the VA Code with requested modification for LED's (HB939) currently in the Senate. Currently bottom line says that all lights have to be approved by the VA State Police Superintendent. My Spyder is lit up like a Christmas Tree and the only issue I had was with the Cat Bypass at one Station so I took it to another Station.

1. That § 46.2-1012 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
    § 46.2-1012. Headlights, auxiliary headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and illumination of license plates on motorcycles or autocycles.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle shall be equipped with at least one headlight which shall be of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent and shall be capable of projecting sufficient light to the front of such motorcycle or autocycle to render discernible a person or object at a distance of 200 feet. However, the lights shall not project a glaring or dazzling light to persons approaching such motorcycles or autocycles. In addition, each motorcycle or autocycle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary headlights of a type approved by the Superintendent except as otherwise provided in this section.
    Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with means of modulating the high beam of their headlights between high and low beam at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlights shall not be so modulated during periods when headlights would ordinarily be required to be lighted under § 46.2-1030.
    Notwithstanding § 46.2-1002, motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. Such lighting shall be (i) either red or amber in color and (ii) directed toward the ground in such a manner that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the motorcycle or autocycle stands at a distance of more than 10 feet from the vehicle. Such lighting shall not (a) project a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower or its equivalent from a single lamp or bulb; (b) be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating; or (c) be attached to the wheels of the motorcycle or autocycle.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways of the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least one brake light of a type approved by the Superintendent. Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with one or more auxiliary brake lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. The Superintendent may by regulation prescribe or limit the size, number, location, and configuration of such auxiliary brake lights.
    Every motorcycle or autocycle shall carry at the rear at least one or more red lights plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Such tail lights shall be constructed and so mounted in their relation to the rear license plate as to illuminate the license plate with a white light so that the same may be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Alternatively, a separate white light shall be so mounted as to illuminate the rear license plate from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Any such tail lights or special white light shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent.
    Motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with a means of varying the brightness of the vehicle's brake light upon application of the vehicle's brakes.
    Thanks again for the responses especially to my Northern Virginia Spyder owners. I will take my spyder to another shop for inspection.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Blade,

Living across the HRBT or MM bridges from you...may I ask where you took or are taking your Spyder for inspections?

Thanks!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019

Spyder Garage

Default CD High Mount Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    Blade,

Living across the HRBT or MM bridges from you...may I ask where you took or are taking your Spyder for inspections?

Thanks!
    I was told that at Cycle City Corp. where I brought my spyder but had the lights put on at another shop.

Spyder Garage

Where did you have it installed? Thanks!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019