Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a ram mount and my phone. Strange thing is that I never really need it. I typically go old school and use a map to get my trips planned whenever I have a specific place that I want to go. Most of the time I just get on the road and ride. As long as I have a tank full of gas, I am never lost.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Set up

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Now back to my main concern I DON'T HAVE BLUE TOOTH......will this be an issue with this GPS ??????..............Mike

I never use blue tooth. Have my music coming thru my MP3 player direct into ears. My ear buds also block out external noise (I hope). I turn off the voice on the GPS and go by the directions. It's attached with a Ram mount, and I tilt it to avoid the glare. It's a Garmin but I don't remember which one.

~Sandee~
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default WA & NY have anti radar detector laws

I believe WA & NY have laws that prohibit radar dectors. This could be the catagory this GPS is falling into because a different version of this same model has built in radar detection.
    Ali Express is a USA start up company like Jet.com. Contact them on the same web page. It's not suppose to be in that catagory. Iv'e heard this before on other cycle forums.

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Tried to order...but informed that can't order cause my ship address is WA...oh well...lived this long just using my phone...so will continue. But this was a heck of a buy!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Picture of my GPS

Here is a picture of where I mounted the GPS which is the link I provided through Ali Express. Notice the location does not interfere with my instruments. This unit is a bit hefty and I had to made a small brace in the top left corner which shows in the photo. I used the car suction cup accessory and actually put small screws through it and into my dash panel. I figure if I sell the bike I will leave this GPS on the bike

Spyder Garage

Dennis, what software do you use to program routes to that setup? Now ya got me thinking. I really like to preplan my routes before I go on a trip. To do so I use TYRE. I like it and it's easy. Just curious of you do much preplanning of routes. Can you post more pics of it so we can get a better idea of it's size?

Rick (from Arena, WI)
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Tried to order...but informed that can't order cause my ship address is WA...oh well...lived this long just using my phone...so will continue. But this was a heck of a buy!!!

Maybe Chelan is considered "remote" I checked their entire site, there is nothing about "parts of the US" I'd double check that makes no sense at all. You must have friends in ID, have it sent there.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

RAM X-Mount on handlebars, Cell device, & Navigon APP loaded with offline maps, set to bike mode. Powered by short USB to rocker style charge port & synced with Bluetooth.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default software is built in

The IGO Primo software should upload or down load custom maps through TYRE. I learned on another cycle forum from one of the IGO design engineers, that the GPS software can load and accept maps from most platforms. Keep in mind I am not talking about the GPS as a brand, but the IGO PRIMO software inside. This gentleman lives in Europe and makes custom maps on a computer, he also records his routes while riding and goes home to customize that route. 8 gigs of storage is a huge amount for storing maps. I do a poor job of explaining things that I am not well versed in. He said that with the IGO sofware in any GPS device, he could be anywhere in the world and go online to get cycle riding maps. So if he were to fly to the Smokey Mountains, rent a motorcyle, he would arrive with this GPS fully loaded with local custom maps.
    So if you or someone you know can upload, create and download now maps now, the IGO Primo software is the most intelligent most used navigation software program in the world.
    This is what he told me

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    Dennis, what software do you use to program routes to that setup? Now ya got me thinking. I really like to preplan my routes before I go on a trip. To do so I use TYRE. I like it and it's easy. Just curious of you do much preplanning of routes. Can you post more pics of it so we can get a better idea of it's size?

Rick (from Arena, WI)
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 02-25-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default more pictures

1st picture is my view while riding. I'm 5'8". The temp guage is somewhat obstructed while riding but viewable. 2nd picture is my $40 Ram mount from Amazon. Really holds the phone nice. I screwed the device with small bolts and nuts to the bike. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00 I ordered both accessory items in the Amazon page. 3rd picture is how I screwed the suction cup to my dash. Our three wheelers have this side to side motion that made the GPS wobble on rougher roads. I made a simple black plastic brace in the upper left corner of my original post picture. The end result is my GPS is rock solid and does not move at all even on rough roads. 4th picture is a general side view of my dirty bike and garage. You would think with it being winter and having a heated garage I could find the time to detail my bike. I suspect a lot of riders are not comfortable with making holes in their bike for accessories. If I sell this bike the GPS and Ram mount would stay with the bike. Truthfully, of the many bikes I have sold with various cobble jobs to them, not one buyer has ever mention these types of alterations.
    Dennis, Close to riding, near Chicago
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 02-25-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Pays to have friends

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Maybe Chelan is considered "remote" I checked their entire site, there is nothing about "parts of the US" I'd double check that makes no sense at all. You must have friends in ID, have it sent there.
    Ordered ... yep pays to have friends in far away places...at least not with a WA address...So a little extra time and $ as goes their address first then they will forward to me...but based on what I read on this GPS it is a bargain and heck I may even change my position on "hating GPS"...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default GPS mount on the cheap

QUOTE=rtga;1094562]anyone using a non can am spyder endorsed gps on their vehicle? I want to mount a gps on the dash and can't spend $800.[/QUOTE]

I went to my local DIY shop bought two 10mm x 60mm alan head bolts a length of steel tube inside dia. 10mm and a piece of aluminium plate

Remove the 2 lower mount handlebar screws

Cut 2 slices of tube 20mm long for spacers. make a cardboard template of the hole spacing. cut a piece of the alu plate whatever size you need, use template for hole spacing.

Put a rag under the handlebars to block off no mans land incase you drop something.

Fit spacers under plate, put washers back in original places
    You now have a mounted sturdy useful plate to put whatever gps bracket you want on

I got the idea from the Kewlmetal kit.

For me total cost less than 10 euros

I bought a cheapo 5" GPS on ebay for 35GBP, used on last 3 bikes, had drenching after drenching, still going strong, best gps I've ever had. Also incorporates a radio transmitter so you can tune your radio to it.
    Best of luck. any further info please ask

Alex
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default gps

thanks to everyone for the ideas

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rtga GPS.

Get the GPS with the largest Screen Available with the best volume available. The reasons are the following:

1. When riding one wants the least distraction possible. If you have to look at the GPS Screen that is too small you will spend more time from watching the road.

2. If you have an intercom that is compatible with the GPS you can listen for the directions and also look for the distance from your way point, destination, or next turn off the road/highway you are on.

3 I suggest you google the best GPS for your needs and one can shrink wrap the GPS for waterproofing with the ability to reset your GPS

4. Lastly, The reason I suggest the larger screens, you can input your destination, and other information with your riding gloves on.

Simon (plzzmrdj@aol.com) Member of the KanAm Spokane Team.

Spyder Garage

Default What is the mounting bracket holes... line up with RAM mount?

Can you tell me if the mounting bracket on this little puppy is standard RAM mount spacing or do I need to do something else to mount it in the normal spot.... I realize I can get a mount for the forks and I can get different mount brackets for it... just want to know which one...
    Thanks for the post!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Sorry to upset the apple cart, but their are other good less expensive true motorcycle GPS options.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...69488723115762
    I currently use this GPS and it has ALL the features of the expensive garmin.
    The real information I am trying to get across is there is musch less expensive, BETTER alteratives satlellight GPSs. The link I provided is a GPS I have used for two years on two different touring machines. At $135 I consider it a disposable GPS should it fail. Warranty work through the mail on any failed electronic device is a JOKE. Until I recently retired, my business was GPS dependant. I have gone through many GPS brands , usually 2 units per year just to get the latest and best. Of my GPS brands you could not give me another Garmin even if it was free.
    From my many GPS experiences I discovered "IGO Primo" navigation software. Simply put, as of 2015, "IGO Primo" is the number one rated, most used GPS software in the WORLD. Garmin and Tom Tom do not use this software. Most high end vehicles use this software in their in dash navigation, so a lot of us might have this now?
    Everyone considering a true cycle GPS should check the link in my post above. It has IGO Primo software,Blue Tooth, full 5 inch screen, visable in full daylight with the sun on the screen, waterproof, and touch screen which is more finger friendly that the GROSSLY OVER PRICED GARMIN!

Dennis near Chicago