Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

anyone using a non can am spyder endorsed gps on their vehicle? I want to mount a gps on the dash and can't spend $800.

Spyder Garage

Get you one of the $99.00 jobbies at Walmart and go to it. No one will nab a cheep GPS. Mine is a Tom Tom..
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtga View Post
    anyone using a non can am spyder endorsed gps on their vehicle? I want to mount a gps on the dash and can't spend $800.
    Use whatever you want. On my 09 I used a garmin nuvi for a couple years. Worked just fine. Needed to put it away in case of rain.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I used the TomTom Rider and I think I paid around $ 270.00.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

.....With Billy , I favor Garmin brand and bought a Nuvi 50 LM for $ 75.00 on E-bay.....If you wrap it in Saran or any plastic wrap it's fine in the rain............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've run both Garmin 40LM and a 50LMT in the past. Never worried about rain since the navs are so cheap anyway. Never had an issue with either one. Now I just use my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Do you currently have an iPhone?

I use my iPad or iPhone with the TomTom app that cost $19.99. Handlebar mount, soon to be a Spyderdock! Works great and Bluetooth to my helmet for turn by turn along with all my music.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Mini iPad for GPS

Hey, I use my Mini iPad for my GPS, I have a ram mount on my dash and mount to that, hook it up to my rear trunk plug and it feeds trough my audio system. Great size, easy to read and sound and music work together. Make a great day. F Garcia
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.

Spyder Garage

Default A really good option for GPS

Sorry to upset the apple cart, but their are other good less expensive true motorcycle GPS options.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...69488723115762
    I currently use this GPS and it has ALL the features of the expensive garmin.
    The real information I am trying to get across is there is musch less expensive, BETTER alteratives satlellight GPSs. The link I provided is a GPS I have used for two years on two different touring machines. At $135 I consider it a disposable GPS should it fail. Warranty work through the mail on any failed electronic device is a JOKE. Until I recently retired, my business was GPS dependant. I have gone through many GPS brands , usually 2 units per year just to get the latest and best. Of my GPS brands you could not give me another Garmin even if it was free.
    From my many GPS experiences I discovered "IGO Primo" navigation software. Simply put, as of 2015, "IGO Primo" is the number one rated, most used GPS software in the WORLD. Garmin and Tom Tom do not use this software. Most high end vehicles use this software in their in dash navigation, so a lot of us might have this now?
    Everyone considering a true cycle GPS should check the link in my post above. It has IGO Primo software,Blue Tooth, full 5 inch screen, visable in full daylight with the sun on the screen, waterproof, and touch screen which is more finger friendly that the GROSSLY OVER PRICED GARMIN!

Dennis near Chicago

Spyder Garage

Default IGO PRIMO - OPTION

....Dennis, thanks for info and the link.......that GPS is .IMPRESSIVE.....I don't have Blue tooth will it work similar to my 50 LM Garmin ???........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Better search engine, intelligent rerouting

Hi Mike, My past problems with Garmin is not being able to trust the serch engine and how slow it was loading up the info. Imagine you already know where your are going before you ask the Garmin. When depending on it for my business operations I basically know my time, distance and general direction. I know I should be going left and the Garmin was sending me right. I did not know how bad it was until I found a GPS with the i-go software and tested them side by side with my garmins. And don't get me started on rerouting logic, Garmin had none. This off brand GPS I use on my cycle has every feature as the garmin. You can upload cycle tours off every know platform to get those routes. It works seamlessly with the Harley Cycle route web page.
    I can see this screen in straight sunlight. With Garmin and Tom Tom you can hardly see the screen in daylight. Truly water proof and user friendly help screens. I could go on, but at $135 delivered to your door vs. the crazy price for a garmin cycle gps, what does a person have to loose on trying it?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Dennis, thanks for info and the link.......that GPS is .IMPRESSIVE.....I don't have Blue tooth will it work similar to my 50 LM Garmin ???........Mike

Spyder Garage

I use a regular TOM TOM. Mount is a ramount x-grip and a ram ball screwed into the center of my tri-axis handlebars. Can run on internal battery or the usb port in my switch console. Just turn the volume way up. It has bluetooth in the tom tom so a headset might be my next purchase.

Spyder Garage

​I use a re manufactured Garmin 660LM. As Dennis said Garmins have no rerouting logic. The unit he gave a link to is very impressive for the price. My Garmins have only steered me wrong 2 or 3 times. Most of the time is not a huge problem to reload and redirect to where you want to go. I'm not crazy about Garmin's prices but I never buy new units and the shipping and rapid delivery can't be beat. The language in the instructions on the unit Dennis gave the link to is some what worrisome. To each their own; that's why we don't all ride the same bike!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default IGO PRIMO - OPTION

....Dennis thanks for your speedy reply.......................Now back to my main concern I DON'T HAVE BLUE TOOTH......will this be an issue with this GPS ??????..............Mike

Spyder Garage

So I just ordered one Dennis. Thank you for the info. I seem to have lost the Garmin that came with my Limited,where or how I don't know but I have torn the house apart from top to bottom and nothing. So what the heck it is only 132.95 and free shipping and I can return for full refund if I don't like it.Whats to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Hi Mike, My past problems with Garmin is not being able to trust the serch engine and how slow it was loading up the info. Imagine you already know where your are going before you ask the Garmin. When depending on it for my business operations I basically know my time, distance and general direction. I know I should be going left and the Garmin was sending me right. I did not know how bad it was until I found a GPS with the i-go software and tested them side by side with my garmins. And don't get me started on rerouting logic, Garmin had none. This off brand GPS I use on my cycle has every feature as the garmin. You can upload cycle tours off every know platform to get those routes. It works seamlessly with the Harley Cycle route web page.
    I can see this screen in straight sunlight. With Garmin and Tom Tom you can hardly see the screen in daylight. Truly water proof and user friendly help screens. I could go on, but at $135 delivered to your door vs. the crazy price for a garmin cycle gps, what does a person have to loose on trying it?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Heck yeah, I use my Garmin Nuvi I have in my truck. Bought an extra mount for it, for the bike, and an extra power cord. Good to go
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

There are a few Garmin GPS that support Bluetooth like the Zumo (to MC BT headsets).

I got the Garmin 775T as it does support Bluetooth helmets and has Traffic reporting.
    The 665 is also one.
    Got it on Ebay used for $90.

Only thing is these are not water proof but the Zumo is only lightly waterproof in my opinion.

This is how I mounted and hooked mine up so it works through the Spyder's audio system OR if I like my Sena 20s helmet setup.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default external speaker

There is an external speaker. Since I wear hearing aids I don't hear it very well that way. This GPS will link with all the SENA helmet systems. I believe it has an audio out jack for ear buds or to go into the auxillary cable that is sold on this site. Finless got me the cable? But then you would have to play your music through the GPS. For me, my hearing aids are blue tooth. I run google play and google maps off my smart phone. My Google Play and google maps work seamlessly together. The music pauses while I get clear spoken directions then the music resumes. What I use the GPS for is to get a 360 visual of things around my position. I'm able to see there is a river road to the right that I would not notice on a small phone screen. I can also tell if a small road to the right heads off in direction counter productive to my overall touring direction. When the GPS is not in the navigation mode, it displays about a 10 square miles of 3D top view of hills, valleys ponds rivers small towns that you would not have a clue were there. I'm kind of a route 66 type tourer and go to great lenghts to keep off the beaten path

....Dennis thanks for your speedy reply.......................Now back to my main concern I DON'T HAVE BLUE TOOTH......will this be an issue with this GPS ??????..............Mike
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 02-23-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Post a picture

Park your bike with full sunlight on the nuvi screen. No way will your picture show anything on the screen. Several friends use entry level Garmins on their bikes and I've yet to see one I can see the screen on. What are you going to do to see it? Pull over under a bridge to get in the shade, cover it with your hand while riding like my friends have to do? It is pointless if you can't see the screen while riding.
    Everyone I ride with, including new Harley riders with built in GPS, have screen jealously when they see it side by side to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    Heck yeah, I use my Garmin Nuvi I have in my truck. Bought an extra mount for it, for the bike, and an extra power cord. Good to go

Spyder Garage

Park your bike with full sunlight on the nuvi screen. No way will your picture show anything on the screen. Several friends use entry level Garmins on their bikes and I've yet to see one I can see the screen on. What are you going to do to see it? Pull over under a bridge to get in the shade, cover it with your hand while riding like my friends have to do? It is pointless if you can't see the screen while riding.
    Everyone I ride with, including new Harley riders with built in GPS, have screen jealously when they see it side by side to mine.
    It's mounted under my dash lip so for the most part not in direct sun unless the sun is at my back on the left side (rare).

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

​Mike you don't have to use the Bluetooth if you don't want to; has no effect on the function of the GPS.

Bluetooth is just another way to move the information from the GPS to another source, external speakers, helmet speakers. Go for it if you want a different GPS
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I just use my iPhone. I have mounted on top of the dash. I have a UBS connection to keep the iPhone powered the entire time.

Spyder Garage

Default Impressive Unit

Dennis,

The iGo from Ali Express looks like a very impressive motorcycle GPS. Thanks for posting the link.

And I agree... At that price you can hardly go wrong.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default WASHINGTON state a no no

Sorry to upset the apple cart, but their are other good less expensive true motorcycle GPS options.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...69488723115762
    I currently use this GPS and it has ALL the features of the expensive garmin.
    The real information I am trying to get across is there is musch less expensive, BETTER alteratives satlellight GPSs. The link I provided is a GPS I have used for two years on two different touring machines. At $135 I consider it a disposable GPS should it fail. Warranty work through the mail on any failed electronic device is a JOKE. Until I recently retired, my business was GPS dependant. I have gone through many GPS brands , usually 2 units per year just to get the latest and best. Of my GPS brands you could not give me another Garmin even if it was free.
    From my many GPS experiences I discovered "IGO Primo" navigation software. Simply put, as of 2015, "IGO Primo" is the number one rated, most used GPS software in the WORLD. Garmin and Tom Tom do not use this software. Most high end vehicles use this software in their in dash navigation, so a lot of us might have this now?
    Everyone considering a true cycle GPS should check the link in my post above. It has IGO Primo software,Blue Tooth, full 5 inch screen, visable in full daylight with the sun on the screen, waterproof, and touch screen which is more finger friendly that the GROSSLY OVER PRICED GARMIN!

Dennis near Chicago
    Tried to order...but informed that can't order cause my ship address is WA...oh well...lived this long just using my phone...so will continue. But this was a heck of a buy!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Tried to order...but informed that can't order cause my ship address is WA...oh well...lived this long just using my phone...so will continue. But this was a heck of a buy!!!
    Hmmm. That's very odd, and sounds a bit precarious. Wonder what's up with that.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-24-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat