Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed Trailers

We are looking to purchase an enclosed trailer need input, have a 2014 RT Limited auto, trailer needs to have door wide enough, want a low profile single or tandem axle. would like feedback and suggestions. We are looking to escape Wisconsin Winters, and trailer to different areas using the trailer as a rolling Garage. This is our second RT had a 2010 manual traded for the 2014 total miles so far on Spyder's 38,000, great rides no issues on either, just lots of fun. Thank You for any feedback you may have

SpyderLovers Sponsor spidergreg's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I too am interested

First off, WELCOME to SpyderLovers! I too am interested in hearing some of the suggestions as we are interested in an enclosed trailer also...

Greg and Debbie 2012 RTS
    Our Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Research

I've done some research on this. With the maximum width of the Spyder being approximately 62" at the front wheels/ fenders, you need a rear door opening of at least 66" to give you some wiggle room. This means your looking @ least a 7' wide trailer. You get to pick a SA or DA configuration, add 6" of height, and electric brakes. There are multiple vendors and a wide range of prices. That's as far as I've gotten. I'll be watching what else is posted here.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

7 X 12 or 14 works well. I would suggest 6 1/2 height. This will allow you to stand up and save your back. I have had many trailers and a tandem axle will get you to a tire repair if you slow down. Not so with a single axle. You must stop and repair. Wells Cargo and Look are the ones that come to mind that provide quality. There are others of course. I have owned both and presently have a 7 X 12 Look V nose. It works great for the RT Limited.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-22-2016 at 10:16 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

We just got an Aluma brand cargo trailer. It is a 7X12 ft., V-Nose, single axle with no brakes. Will pull it with a Ford F150 truck with eco-boost engine. don't think I'll need the brakes. Looking forward to taking it to Glacier Park Montana and Yellowstone Park this summer. It's a beautiful trailer but not cheap, if you didn't want an all aluminum trailer you could get one a lot cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks For The Feedback

Thanks for info so far keep it coming, My first time ever with any forums

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rladuke View Post
    We just got an Aluma brand cargo trailer. It is a 7X12 ft., V-Nose, single axle with no brakes. Will pull it with a Ford F150 truck with eco-boost engine. don't think I'll need the brakes. Looking forward to taking it to Glacier Park Montana and Yellowstone Park this summer. It's a beautiful trailer but not cheap, if you didn't want an all aluminum trailer you could get one a lot cheaper.
    I have an F150 Ecoboost that I pull my trailer with. I think you are going to miss the trailer brakes in the Mountains or in town. JMO. Brakes required for each state varies from 1000# to 3000# Spyder and Trailer weight would exceed this in some states and your insurance might reject a claim if so.
    I would highly recommend a trailer with brakes especially if in the Mountains of Montana.
    Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have a 7X12 SA with brakes. I highly recommend getting brakes. Also get axles with grease fittings. I also highly recommend an aluminum trailer. Mine is a Forest River. Quality made in Illinois. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed trailer

I bought a 7 x 12 V-nose trailer from Becker Trrailers in West Salem, WI. It works really well and even has enough room for accessories and even a trailer to pull by the Spyder. I made a stand to stand the small trailer on its tail. Previously I had a 6 x 12 V-nose that that was too tight to get the Spyder in without a lot of work. Both trailers had ramp doors.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

I have a 7 x12 with the v nose.Tandem axle with electric brakes.Haul it with a Toyota Tundra 4.6 engine and works great.Also use it to store the Spyder.Have enough room for the bike small tool box plus hang my riding gear.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Be careful with the height of the trailer, I've seen 2 Spyders that broke the windshields trying to load. 7 by 12 by 6.5 would be my choice.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is my 6' x 12' Stealth all Aluminum trailer. Yes, it just fits, but that was my choice. The decision was based on the tow vehicle, now a 2016 Explorer with TT packsge. A 7' wide requires extended mirrors, and a heavier tow vehicle due to the frontal area. Its not all about the weight. Combined weight 2400 Lbs. with about a 48 sq ft frontal area. Easy to see around with existing mirrors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 United 7 x 19 tandem V- neck trailer with electric brakes that I haul mine in. It is plenty big for hauling one spyder and not big enough to haul 2. But for winter I can back my RS into the V front and then drive the RT into the back for storage. I pull it with a Chev truck with no problems. Works great.

Spyder Garage

I use my 20 ft car hauler. Fits 2 spyders with plenty of room. Put an AC jack through the body to plug in battery tenders. It's like an extra garage without the additional property tax.

Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed Trailers

Sorry for hijacking, but is anyone towing a trailer with an RV? Considering a small class A with a trailer for the Spyder
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Default Enjoying the feedback

Thanks everyone for info on brands you own, the watch outs. And what you are using for tow vehicles Great feedback

Spyder Garage

Default RV and Towing

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist922 View Post
    Sorry for hijacking, but is anyone towing a trailer with an RV? Considering a small class A with a trailer for the Spyder
    I have a Thor Axis 24.1 that is 25 ft.class a with a V-10 engine and tow a 7X12 v- nose trailer with no problems.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer and RV

I use a 7x19 Legend aluminum trailer. For a single Spyder you could get one much shorter. I can fit my RT-S, my Harley Ultra and my BMW R1200C. The Legend brand is much lower cost than the bigger names, Aluma and such. Mine is low frills. I pull it with a 2006 Sprinter. I too escape Wisconsin every winter and can fit a lot of small stuff in with the 3 bikes. It pulls pretty easy with the van. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist922 View Post
    I tow an Interstate 20 x 8.5 car carrier behind my 40' Alpine coach. The trailer has a 7'1" interior height. It's my rolling garage - hauls the Spyder, bicycles, canoe, tools and whatnot. We are just under 65' overall, so we're legal in all states.
    2009 Spyder Roadster
    Full-time in a 2003 Alpine Coach
    40' motorhome - we live where we're parked

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    I use a 7x19 Legend aluminum trailer. For a single Spyder you could get one much shorter. I can fit my RT-S, my Harley Ultra and my BMW R1200C. The Legend brand is much lower cost than the bigger names, Aluma and such. Mine is low frills. I pull it with a 2006 Sprinter. I too escape Wisconsin every winter and can fit a lot of small stuff in with the 3 bikes. It pulls pretty easy with the van. Hope this helps.
    I have a Legend, it is a very well made trailer.