Spyder Garage

Default thinking about buying a Spyder

Over 50 years of motorcycle experience, 4 motorcycles(need to sell two) and I am now thinking about buying a used Spyder for riding two up. A used Spyder in the 10,000-15,000 range but I cannot keep up with all the models. I would want some wind protection and a good passenger seat and backrest but I understand that there is a good selection of equipment to modify the bike. I see 2008-2012 models in this price range are any better than others? thanks Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Hello from Rochester

Welcome! I've been to three dealers in the area and I'd really suggest you try Bucks Motorsports. There in Akron, not too far from you. Ypu are correct that there are numerous upgrades available, but getting as close to the right model as possible from the beginning would probably be more cost effective than upgrading a lower model.....

From what you've written so far I would think you might mine looking at the RT model. It's a two up if you can get a 2014 or newer, then it will also have the 1330 motor. After that, you can add on till you go broke........
    Last edited by Brentc; 02-22-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default What model to buy

I like Bucks Motorsports-I bought my Triumph T100 there. thanks Jim

Spyder Garage

Love the broke part. Two thumbs up...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are looking for some wind protection, a good passenger seat, and a backrest; you're talking about an RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thing about a Spyder

What about the ST? thanks Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The wind protection isn't as good; you'll get a lot more of it on your shoulders...
    The rear seat is certainly not a nice bucket...
    The backrests are optional.

As far as the seating positions; here's some pictures to show the differences between the four models:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Good luck with your search.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about buying a Spyder

Wow, nice diagrams. If I bought an a Rt I would have to buy used. When did they start making them, 2010? Can the St be modified, taller windshield better rear seat. I see a few left over 2013s STs for sale at a good price. thanks Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Passenger comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuffalo View Post
    What about the ST? thanks Jim
    Youll be hard pressed to beat the passenger comfort of the rt. My wife sat on it and was instantly sold.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Youll be hard pressed to beat the passenger comfort of the rt. My wife sat on it and was instantly sold.
    And keeping our "Best-Half" happy, is what makes our Worlds spin so much smoother!

Spyder Garage

Test drive...then...Listen to the Force Luke.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, nice diagrams. If I bought an a Rt I would have to buy used. When did they start making them, 2010? Can the St be modified, taller windshield better rear seat. I see a few left over 2013s STs for sale at a good price. thanks Jim

Yes the RT came out in 2010. The '12 is generally considered the best of the pre 2014's. I'd avoid the '13 if it was me. The '14s and '15s have the bigger engine and are a real step up, but the pre-'14s have the same engine, etc., as the RS and ST. If you like the RS and ST, you'll like how the RT runs.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here are my feelings, I'm sure I have a much different perspective. I want a bike that feels sporty and doesn't look like a yacht.

The ST feels the most comfortable to ride. You could also get a smoothspyder back rest which would help you and converts to a passenger rest in a second. Its also the best looking Spyder and a big cost savings.

I dont like like how RT looks. It also feels very cramped to ride for me at 6'2 but, the back seat is super nice.

The F3 feels very cramped and uncomfortable. The cruiser seating position kills my tailbone. The small frunk and tractor look isn't for me.

you really need to ride a few of them.
    Last edited by Graptor; 02-22-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

if your riding two up your not going to beat the RT or get the ST to sit like an RT. Just the seating position for the driver is much more comfy plus all the amenities like the stereo system, heated grips, electric windsheid. I know you dont want to hear this but in my opinion the spyders hold their value pretty well so the cost of a good low miles used RT is not a lot less than a new one. Warranty is a big deal not to mention the bigger engine, electrical system etc in the 14 and 15. You can go on the website and see the differences between a base and an RT-S or limited, (which i personally did not think were worth the extra) but can't go wrong with a 15 or 16. I dont know if you were looking to pay cash or finance but if cash and you put that down on a new one your going to have a tiny payment.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default So there you have it

Well Jim, if that doesn't clear things up for you then there's no helping you I guess.......

As you have probably already figured out, there are as many opinions on what the right way to go is as there are aftermarket options to put on your spyder. I'd make plans to do some test riding with the other half and see what you like. There is no wrong spyder, just wrong not having one....
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Buffalo Boy

I am originally from Buffalo, and I happen to have a 2012RT SM5 that I may have available for sale. 14,000 miles on it, new rear Kumho car tire and the BajaRon swaybar and cat delete already done. I am looking to buy a 2015 RT S SM6 from the local dealer but he is really lowballing the value of my bike. Should find out Tuesday if they are going to accept my offer. If not, maybe we can discuss things. My wife loves the RT we have. Very comfortable for her. She has almost fell asleep when we are riding longer than a couple of hours. Having said that, the 998 motors really can jump if you need them to. They ride just as sporty as any of the models, and on twisty roads, I keep up with the crotch rockets, and sometimes kick their butts. It looks like a whale, but they can move.
    Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 02-23-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: correct a spelling error

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Post !330 Engine is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Welcome! I've been to three dealers in the area and I'd really suggest you try Bucks Motorsports. There in Akron, not too far from you. Ypu are correct that there are numerous upgrades available, but getting as close to the right model as possible from the beginning would probably be more cost effective than upgrading a lower model.....

From what you've written so far I would think you might mine looking at the RT model. It's a two up if you can get a 2014 or newer, then it will also have the 1330 motor. After that, you can add on till you go broke........
    I test rode several machines before I put my money down. I agree for two up riding the RT model is the way to go. My wife loves the backseat. Its like a Goldwing and the RT is a smooth riding machine. Even with a back rest the RSS or the F3 models are not as smooth a ride to me. Just my opinion.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Good luck and I agree go with the 1330 if you can
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2014s are starting to show up as used bikes, so you might be able to find a good buy, on one of them.

Spyder Garage

Over 50 years of motorcycle experience, 4 motorcycles(need to sell two) and I am now thinking about buying a used Spyder for riding two up. A used Spyder in the 10,000-15,000 range but I cannot keep up with all the models. I would want some wind protection and a good passenger seat and backrest but I understand that there is a good selection of equipment to modify the bike. I see 2008-2012 models in this price range are any better than others? thanks Jim
    I would certainly try for a 2014 OR newer with the 1330 engine. Do a demo ride on a 998 and then a 1330 and you will understand and be hooked ASAP. good luck on becoming a fellow Spyder Ryder!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing much wrong with the 998 Engine

Everyone here pushes the 1330 engine on the 2014 and up RT's and F3's. It is nice - lower RPM's, cooler, smoother transmission, and a bit better fuel economy. But if you are on a limited budget (and who isn't), there is nothing much wrong with the older 998 engines and you can generally get one for a LOT less money. I would look at a 2012 or 2013 to get a nice one in your price range.

Also many folks on the forum are used to advising potential buyers to stay away from the 2013 RT because it had heat issues. But there was some service bulletins and a major recall that addressed that. That means the 2013 RT's are a very good deal now. The 2013 RT-S and up come with the floorboards and the improved front end suspensions that are on the newer models. I have a fully loaded 2013 RT Limited, and I love it. It should sell used for well under $15,000 now, as should the 2012 RT. If you buy any used Spyder, take it to a dealer and make sure all the service bulletins and recalls have been performed. They will check your serial number, and update it with any that may have been missed.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-24-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Absolutely agree the RT is your choice.

2014 or newer is ideal because of the better engine and all around under the hood improvements. No significant differences from 2014 until today.

2010 was the first model year and not as dependable (I dumped mine for a 2014).

I don't know much about the differences in the 2011.

People who own the 2012's call them very well built.

The 2013's had major issues that were corrected, or can be under warranty if you find one that hasn't yet been updated, perhaps a very good value.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.