Thread: HMF exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default HMF exhaust

Doany of you know about HMF exhaust I have an opportunity to buy one for $100 wondering if there are any benefits to it versus stock? My ride is a 2012 RSS completely stock exhaust! How much louder would it be and what performance benefits could I see!
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Doany of you know about HMF exhaust I have an opportunity to buy one for $100 wondering if there are any benefits to it versus stock? My ride is a 2012 RSS completely stock exhaust! How much louder would it be and what performance benefits could I see!

I ran one for 2years buy my wife did not like it and yes it is loud. As for me I did not think it was to bad buy I sit in front of the exhaust the wife was siting even with the tail of the exhaust
    $100 is a good deal and I think it helped with performance, good luck jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run one and love it. It's louder than stock for sure but not obnoxious. IMHO it's the best sounding pipe and hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I run one and love it. It's louder than stock for sure but not obnoxious. IMHO it's the best sounding pipe and hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jtpollock

Spyder Garage

My wife had one on her old 09 RS a few years ago. Yep it is loud. I usually have her ride in front of me, but I made sure that she would be far a head so the sound didn't deafen me.

Funny story with that. We were riding to the first Spyderquest, and my wife was ahead of me on her RS. When she let off the gas near Tupper Lake, there was a few loud back fires, and it scared the crap out of a black bear that was about to cross the road. It turned around, and high tailed it back into the forest. We were glad that it did. Hitting a bear would have ruined our trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, the tail cap is removable so it's pretty easy to fab up an additional baffle to tune the sound and performance.
    Right now I have a Vance Hines baffle from my Harley pipes that I welded to a flange that sits nicely in the HMF pipe. Quiets it down a bit and adds a bit of back pressure too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Did any of you that are running the HMF pipe have to make any changes to the fuel system to run it. I have one that I haven't installed yet and was wondering about that. I have a 2011 RS.

Thanks for any info.
    Frank
    2011 Spyder RS Pearl White

4" Handlebar Risers
    BRP Comfort Seat
    BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshield
    BRP Wind deflectors
    Kury Widow road pegs
    Nelson-Rigg CL-855 saddlebags
    Gremlin bell

Spyder Garage

Hi, I've been running HMF for a year and love it. No fuel mod needed. You will not get any popping when slowing down if you release the throttle completely. Exhaust Popping occurs because riders keep the thottle on a little when slowing down or downshifting. Keep in mind that this exhaust needs to be factory repacked after approx. 50 hours. Cost 50.00. This is actually a lot of mileage. I picked mine up on eBay, brand new for 185.00 for my RS.
    It has a deep throaty sound. Its like music... if its too loud you're too old . Really... its got great sound that I don't find too loud and the performance is better than the stock. The HMF is also extremely light in weight compared to the stock exhaust. I tried the Spyder Attitude exhaust and did not care for it at all.
    Last edited by Crisis; 02-22-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put 20000 miles on my 2012 rs with that pipe and I loved every second of it. Get beat the price and love the sound!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's guys. I will install the pipe as soon as the weather breaks here and I get her out of storage.

Thanks again,
    Frank
    2011 Spyder RS Pearl White

4" Handlebar Risers
    BRP Comfort Seat
    BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshield
    BRP Wind deflectors
    Kury Widow road pegs
    Nelson-Rigg CL-855 saddlebags
    Gremlin bell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Hi, I've been running HMF for a year and love it. No fuel mod needed. You will not get any popping when slowing down if you release the throttle completely. Exhaust Popping occurs because riders keep the thottle on a little when slowing down or downshifting. Keep in mind that this exhaust needs to be factory repacked after approx. 50 hours. Cost 50.00. This is actually a lot of mileage. I picked mine up on eBay, brand new for 185.00 for my RS.
    It has a deep throaty sound. Its like music... if its too loud you're too old . Really... its got great sound that I don't find too loud and the performance is better than the stock. The HMF is also extremely light in weight compared to the stock exhaust. I tried the Spyder Attitude exhaust and did not care for it at all.
    Packing the pipe every 50 hours I'm not going to bother with that that's crazy that's like every 4000 miles
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Never repacked mine.
    Never heard of it. got at least 8000 miles on it

Spyder Garage

Yep you are correct about the mileage. That's crazy. Only stated what the HMF Rep. told me. I'll wait until it sounds too loud. Thanks for pointing that out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm at 12k and a good friend is at 15k with no repacking and both still sound great.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Not sure where my other reply went, but....

The HMF pipe is loud, no two ways about it. Probably the best sounding, and it is awesome. On the highway, for extended distances, it requires ear plugs..... But it helps immensely with other drivers being aware of you, sounds amazing, and is cheap. Best upgrade so far for me!
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

I have one on my 2009 and my wife has one on her 2008. As soon as I put mine on she had to have one too. I feel they add power without a doubt especially with the EFI controller too. I have the controller she doesn't. There is a difference when you add it but she has never had any issues without it. I have a friend with a Carbon fiber Yoshumura and the HMF is deeper in tone. I love the sound and really at cruising speeds it isn't that loud on the bike.
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if this exhaust is available for a 2014 RT? I can't seem to find one on the HMF website.

Spyder Garage

Cool Probably a post for the RT forum......

I'm not so sure you'd want a pipe on that engine, the RSS uses the twin, and the RT the triple, so depending on what you are after......
    The RSS sounds awesome because the booming nature of the large V-Twin, when I rode a Spyder with the triple, well, I personally wouldn't put a pipe on that engine. (when I say that, think truck with a V6, and why you wouldn't want a louder exhaust on that...) But I suppose that is a conversation that the RT forum could provide more info on.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like a Honda civic with a pipe.. Ha-ha.

Spyder Garage

Chris, it looks pretty easy to install. Is it?
    Thanks. The stock muffler braket bolt fell out on my 2008 today as I pulled into the driveway. After 22K maybe it is time for a new sound.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited with Can Am trailer
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

I had it on my ATV a couple of years ago and I'm kind of impressed. It provides the right amount of sound and it is easy to install. I cannot say that it is the best exhaust system, but it is worth it.

Spyder Garage

You guys do realise that before today, this thread last saw any new posts being added waaay back in early 2016, don't you?? So before your posts today, pretty much everything else is over 4 years old, and a couple of the original contributors haven't logged on here for at least a couple of years too?!? So while keeping all the related info together is an admirable aim, you might not get too much response or help from some of the earlier posters.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I did notice that the posts were from about four years back, but what the heck you responded! Ha. I appreciate the heads up mate. I'll put an original post out to see if I can get a response. I've found a lot of good info on the forum over the years. Good riding to you!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited with Can Am trailer
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black