Spyder Garage

Default Sales Tax in Georgia on used Spyder?

We are in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 2014 used Spyder in Georgia that is on consignment at a dealer. Do you know if you have to pay sales tax on a USED motorcycle in Georgia? I know we have the Ad Valorem tax but what about sales tax? Anyone know about Georgia? We live in Georgia as well.
    Last edited by Dave & Karen; 02-22-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Karen View Post
    We are in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 2014 used Spyder in Georgia that is on consignment at a dealer. Do you know if you have to pay sales tax on a USED motorcycle in Georgia? I know we have the Ad Valorem tax but what about sales tax? Anyone know about Georgia?
    Not sure in Georgia, but having done that many times... in Alabama it works like this: (if I buy out of state)
    If I buy a used bike on consignment and the dealer handles the sale...I don't pay state tax until I register the bike in Alabama.
    Same thing if I buy a bike (or car) from an individual.
    Buying in-state, tax is collected at the time of sale.

Congrats on getting a Spyder!
    jb
    Last edited by BamaJohn; 02-22-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Not sure in Georgia, but having done that many times... in Alabama it works like this: (if I buy out of state)
    If I buy a used bike on consignment and the dealer handles the sale...I don't pay state tax until I register the bike in Alabama.
    Same thing if I buy a bike (or car) from an individual.
    Buying in-state, tax is collected at the time of sale.

Congrats on getting a Spyder!
    jb
    That is the way it is in North Carolina also.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Karen View Post
    We are in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 2014 used Spyder in Georgia that is on consignment at a dealer. Do you know if you have to pay sales tax on a USED motorcycle in Georgia? I know we have the Ad Valorem tax but what about sales tax? Anyone know about Georgia? We live in Georgia as well.
    you will pay a 7% one time tax at purchase (new or used). then every year you will pay a $20.00 tag fee.

Spyder Garage

Default Georgia sales tax

You will have to pay 7% of the retail value no matter if you paid less from the seller and have an invoice for that price. You can get an estimate on the retail value on nada.com. Your recourse is to protest the amount if your invoice is less than the retail value to your tax commissioner. However, the tax commissioner can decide the vehicle is worth more than retail value and raise the retail value. This was my experience in Columbia County and I had to pay sales tax on $4,000 more than my invoice amount from the dealer I purchased from. The good thing about this process is that tag fees for the vehicle in the future are only $20.00. To be sure your county has the same rate call your tax commissioner for clarification. Also, be sure the vin is stated correctly on the title and your paperwork because if the vehicle is purchased out of state you will have to go through the police to insure the vehicle is not on the stolen vehicle registry. The form for this can be picked up at your tax commissioner's office. This is required before you can purchase the tag. The ad valorem tax on vehicles has been eliminated in Georgia.