Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Scrutineer, that block you have marked 'A' is a groove 'breaker' that helps stabilise the tread & make it do what it should with water etc, it is NOT a tread wear indicator! There are generally no markers on the side of the tread or on the sidewall of the tire to show where to find these, but there is generally at least one in each major groove of the tread.

The block you have marked 'B' looks like it IS a tread wear indicator and so there should be a small raised triangle embossed on each side of the tire tread that lines up with that block - the triangle is just a raised triangular outline about 1/4" across and 1/4" tall that is really located just on the side of the tread, not down on the sidewall of the tire. There should be 3 'lines' of those tread wear indicators with a similar block appearing in each of the major tread grooves around the circumference of the tire, & each 'line' should be identified by the triangle markers appearing on each side of the tread to identify that they are the tread wear indicators.

Your tire doesn't look too bad (yet, anyway - it should have a couple more thousand miles in it.) but the CanAm specified Kenda tires are really not much chop for anything apart from keeping the metal of the rim off the road - while for all intents & purposes they are constructed identically to an (exceedingly lightly constructed) passenger car tire that runs on a rim with a 'passenger car' design bead holder & they distort significantly when running at speed, increasing the wear in the middle of the tread well beyond that experienced by anything else; somehow BRP & Kenda have managed to get them classified as a 'Motorcycle only' tyre & claim that the VSS has been tuned to work only with them at the risk of failure.... and yet the manufacturers of these stability & safety systems & all other tires all aver that any tire which matches or exceeds the specified speed, load, wear, and weight ratings for the Spyder & doesn't exceed the rolling diameter by any more than about 3/4" will work perfectly well within the safe operational parameters of the safety systems & vehicle use - btw, it's actually Federally mandated that they do so.... that's what those ratings mean!

So if you feel that way inclined, when the time comes around (& it doesn't look like it has yet) you can replace the Kenda tire with an OE spec tire of the same make from a CanAm dealer & put up with the cost & aggravation as well as the poor ride, handling, & tire life; OR if otherwise inclined, you can fit a higher load speed & wear rated passenger car tire that exceeds the operational ratings of the Kenda crap in all respects & provides far better ride, handling & tire life, usually at a significantly lower cost than that charged by the CanAm dealers for the OE rubbish - I got less than 3000 miles out of my original Kenda rear tire before the canvas started to show & yet with little obvious signs of wear have already exceeded 3 TIMES that with the (funnily enough, cheaper....) replacement passenger car tire that is rated higher in all respects than the Kenda & at least for me, works better in ALL respects too!!

Over to you.

Ps: bugga, took too long typing up the epic & it's been overtaken by responses - but it's there now, so for what it's worth...
    Peter, Quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

I agree completely. I put a Kumho on mine and have been riding it for 2000 miles, in the rain and snow, and it is great.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire replacement

I just ordered my tire from discount tire. Free Shipping for $84.97 including valve steam. A fraction of the cost of the orginal.
    Kumho
    Ecsta AST225 /50 R15 91H SL BSW

I have already over 11,500 on mine and it needs replacing. The center of the tire is worn out. I mostly ride on the highway.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by scrutineer View Post
    Hello folks,

Just crossed 6K miles on my '13 sts, purchased in spring 2014. I've reached the wear mark on the exterior of the tire and maybe I've got 3mm left on the center mark -- so it looks like it'll need to be replaced before the longer summer travel/riding season.

I'm very concerned that this tire made it only 6k miles before needing replacement. Its not like I'm burning rubber and making smoke shows here.... I figure roughly ~500$ to have it replaced -- parts and labor. I realize this is one big bad boy, and the construction is somewhat on the soft side for traction but 6k? Thats two summers of riding and done ?

Can you immagine if regular car tires had that short of a lifespan.

Sigh.
    Just had my rear tire replaced at 6400 miles. I purchased bike new one year ago. Cant honestly say that I have done no burnouts! Haha! I probably had 1000 miles left on it put didn't want to change it during the summer riding season if I could help it. Dealer said replacement would probably last longer. Tire $185 and $95 labor.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Spyder Garage

The 2013 and 2014 model years both had a "high performance" tire with a softer compound. Starting with 2014 models built in June of 2014, BRP went back to the compound they used on the 2012 and prior years. That softer compound wore out fast. I replaced mine at somewhere between 7000 and before I hit 8,000. I have over 13,000 on the Kumho I used as a replacement and have been very happy with it. This link is to the BRPCare comment about the tire compound change.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=tire+compound

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I was at the dealer last night for a little while talking about just this thing, and of course checking out a new RT. Any recommendations on a new rear tire that is not a Kenda. I will most likely go with either a Toyo tire or a Kumho. My current stock tire has just over 5000 miles on it and I might get 6000 ~ 6500 miles out of the tire so I plan on replacing soon at least before my summer trip. So as I said what is a good tire in your opinion. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've put two Kumho tires on my RTs; both worked GREAT!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've put two Kumho tires on my RTs; both worked GREAT!!
    cool thanks that is what I'm looking at now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check around on prices for tire replacement. The dealer in Boerne, TX, told me around $500 for tire and labor. Las Cruces, NM, is going to charge me the price of the tire (around $123) plus $99 labor. Big difference!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Julie!
    What sort of tire are you getting prices on?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    We have 17,000 so far on a Michelin. 215/60/15 size on our RT.
    I also have a 14 art. I live in Las Vegas so it's very dry here. On my car I've had problems with drying out Michelin tires. Do you think this will be a problem and how's your ride with this tire on the rear?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scrutineer View Post
    Hello folks,

Just crossed 6K miles on my '13 sts, purchased in spring 2014. I've reached the wear mark on the exterior of the tire and maybe I've got 3mm left on the center mark -- so it looks like it'll need to be replaced before the longer summer travel/riding season.

I'm very concerned that this tire made it only 6k miles before needing replacement. Its not like I'm burning rubber and making smoke shows here.... I figure roughly ~500$ to have it replaced -- parts and labor. I realize this is one big bad boy, and the construction is somewhat on the soft side for traction but 6k? Thats two summers of riding and done ?

Can you immagine if regular car tires had that short of a lifespan.

Sigh.
    You have the old tire compound. Much better after 1-1-15. New tire and installation is $179. If someone wants $500 for a new installed rear tire they are blowing smoke up your -ss.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

We have 17,000 so far on a Michelin. 215/60/15 size on our RT.
    Is that a car tire? and who put it on for you?

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tyre

I replaced my rear tyre today, I used a TOYO Proxis T1R cost 99 euros from a local car spares shop, they fotted it but couldn't balance it as the centre hole was too small, took it to local motorcycle shop and they balanced it, now waiting to see how it handles.Toyo Proxis has a similar tread pattern to OEM Kenda.

Incidently, removed shock bolt and jacked up high to allow wheel to dop lower, belt slipped off and on with great ease and kept the original belt alignment. so easy
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THAT TOYO

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    I replaced my rear tyre today, I used a TOYO Proxis T1R cost 99 euros from a local car spares shop, they fotted it but couldn't balance it as the centre hole was too small, took it to local motorcycle shop and they balanced it, now waiting to see how it handles.Toyo Proxis has a similar tread pattern to OEM Kenda.

Incidently, removed shock bolt and jacked up high to allow wheel to dop lower, belt slipped off and on with great ease and kept the original belt alignment. so easy
    I put a pair of size 185/55 - 15 on my 2014RT 2 yrs. ago ......they stick like GLUE ......actually too sticky, the VSS is constantly triggered................I think you will Loooooooooooooove it also..........Mike

Spyder Garage

with all the above. Looks like an almost new tire to me. When it starts looking bald in the center--time to change it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks Good

Tire looks like you've got good mileage left. When I bought my 13 RT Ltd they replaced the rear tire (9925 miles) with a new Kenda with the harder rubber. Original still had life but had a cut in it so that's why the replacement. According to the codes, the new. One was built after the composition was changed to harder rubber. Now have 22,400 on the bike so basically 12,500 miles on that tire and lots of mlies left both looking at the wear indicators and my tire depth gauge. Probably another 6500 miles or more to go. So I can't say anything bad. I usually run the rear at 28 psi but I drop it to 26 for the heat of the summer as it increases the psi traveling the hot FL roads. If you are wondering, the fronts are original so they have traveled 22,400 and still have good tread left. I check my tire pressure every 500 miles approximately.

Spyder Garage

Default Toyo Rear Tyre

More than 2 weeks into my new Toyo Proxis rear tyre only 99 euros, sticks well to the road, whole back end more stable than the original Kenda, corners much better. Wonder where Kenda get their price from, I've seen this size car tyre for as little as 79 euros(not Toyo), according to most of you guys Kenda has nothing going for them, for the price of a Kenda you can buy big brand names, never heard of Kenda 'til I bought a Spyder and never met anyone who has either
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light

2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Toyo does not show a 225/50-15 in the T1R, only a 225/50-16 which obviously does not fit. What size did you purchase?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think they are using a 205
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I think they are using a 205
    I thought of that but Toyo does not show a 205/55 - 15 either.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Now this is worn?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Now this is worn?

Looks new to me!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

No Sarge, That tire is not worn to replacement yet!!

Altho it does look like it's almost down to the top of the water/siping stabilising blocks, which are a few mm taller than the tread wear indicators. If you look at your pic, right up the top right of it, just visible under the rear mud-flap, you should be able to see a tread wear indicator & on the side, the embossed triangle; which tells you that the tire still has a couple of mm/32's to go before it reaches the 'worn' depth. Sure, if you were just about to head off on a 5000 mile trip & there's a good chance you'll hit some wet weather, you might consider replacing the tire before you left, but for most, that tire would still have at least a few thousand miles left in it yet!!

On most tires, the tread wear indicators will have those little raised triangles embossed on the outer sides of the tread adjacent to the indicators; so if you look carefully at the outer sides of the tread blocks alongside those 'indicators' & you DON'T find the little triangles, chances are that they aren't tread wear indicators & that your tire is NOT worn to replacement levels yet!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2016 at 03:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wear on rear tyre

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Toyo does not show a 225/50-15 in the T1R, only a 225/50-16 which obviously does not fit. What size did you purchase?
    I think I would know if I put a 16" tyre on a 15" rim, there would probably be a slight air leak

P1060575.jpg

Does this answer your question, maybe it's not sold in the states but here in France it is. I just looked on the TOYO website USA no it's not listed, how strange, maybe you can get it special order.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light

2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I think I would know if I put a 16" tyre on a 15" rim, there would probably be a slight air leak

P1060575.jpg

Does this answer your question, maybe it's not sold in the states but here in France it is. I just looked on the TOYO website USA no it's not listed, how strange, maybe you can get it special order.
    Bummer, it looks like a great tire for the Spyder. Its not available in the US. Does not make sense but ordering it from the UK is cost prohibitive with shipping. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'll stick with the Yokohama for now.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame