Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for oil Leak and I found it.

Spent this afternoon tearing down the Spyder looking for an oil leak and I found it after 4 hrs of taking it apart. I'll have to check with the dealer tomorrow but I think what's happen is I have over serviced the engine oil and it has blown it out of this small weep hole on the front of the crankcase at least that's what I hope has happened. I serviced it this morning by the book and it took 3/4 of a qt to bring it back to the full mark.
    Now if there is someone that has run into this problem before I sure would like a note back to let me know if I am right or wrong.

Thanks Rick

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If by servicing the Spyder by the book means you changed the oil by the book, why did you add more oil?
    At least that's what it sounds like you did.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Hi Dudley
    when is say serviced the spyder by the book means more than changing the oil and filter maybe I should have worded it this way; This morning I checked the oil and it was LOW so I serviced it by the book which it says to warm it up to normal Temp let it idle for 30 seconds turn off unscrew dipstick wipe re-screw dipstick in all the way unscrew dipstick and check if it is still low repeat same steps until fluid level is at full or in-between full and add mark. sorry for the miss understanding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope it's only a small leak not any damage.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    Hi Dudley
    when is say serviced the spyder by the book means more than changing the oil and filter maybe I should have worded it this way; This morning I checked the oil and it was LOW so I serviced it by the book which it says to warm it up to normal Temp let it idle for 30 seconds turn off unscrew dipstick wipe re-screw dipstick in all the way unscrew dipstick and check if it is still low repeat same steps until fluid level is at full or in-between full and add mark. sorry for the miss understanding.
    Warming the coolant to operating temperature is not the same as getting the oil to operating temperature. You have to ride the Spyder to get the oil hot. Just idling in the driveway will not do it and you'll get an inaccurate oil level (Low) reading.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Suck the amount you added out of the oil tank, take the bike for a good long ride and check it when you get back.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Oil leaks will not appear from low oil but more from overfilling. Even then it tends to blow up to the air box and leak out from there. The water pump housing has a weep hole that tells you if your seals are going bad. if oil comes from there the oil seal is bad if coolant them the water pump seal is bad. Oil leaks are tricky so a good cleaning and a recheck is a good Idea...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think there is a oil overfill seep hole on the 998.
    My bet is either there was a set screw there that fell out (similar to my issue last year) or some seal is gone there allowing oil to come out out of that hole.

I cannot quite tell where this is on the engine but the service manual might show what this is.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Leak in oil seal

This looks like the leak indicator at the water pump shaft. As has been stated, coolant from this hole indicates a leak on the water pump side. Oil from this hole indicates a leak on the oil pump side. Either way, the whole thing needs to come apart and you already know how long it will take for parts. Happened to me the first year. Water side. Down for three weeks. I would first clean everything off and then see just how much your leak rate is. It could be minor.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-20-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Oil leaks will not appear from low oil but more from overfilling. Even then it tends to blow up to the air box and leak out from there. The water pump housing has a weep hole that tells you if your seals are going bad. if oil comes from there the oil seal is bad if coolant them the water pump seal is bad. Oil leaks are tricky so a good cleaning and a recheck is a good Idea...

Well went down to the dealer Saturday and sure enough it’s just as Chupaca said it’s the seal on the eng side of the water pump drive so Tuesday it goes in the shop. The only good part of this is my extended warranty is going to cover it our would be $700.00 to $800.00 lighter in the wallet.

thanks

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    Well went down to the dealer Saturday and sure enough it’s just as Chupaca said it’s the seal on the eng side of the water pump drive so Tuesday it goes in the shop. The only good part of this is my extended warranty is going to cover it our would be $700.00 to $800.00 lighter in the wallet.

thanks
    The bad news... And I bet on this and not to be negative...
    It will be weeks due to parts they do not have that have to come in.
    Many who have had this happen more than once, said NO to leaving the bike for weeks and just road it till the parts came in.

I hope for the best and your not down for weeks.....

Sorry to sound negative but true stories if you search here.....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Water pump oil seal leak

I had the water pump oil seal leak on my 2012 RTS back in Nov '14. Warrany repaired it, but took 3 weeks to get parts.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Many who have had this happen more than once, said NO to leaving the bike for weeks and just road it till the parts came in.

Bob
    I agree. I'd ride it until parts come in. Especially for an oil leak. Keep an eye on it but chances are, it won't get much worse.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Bob
    well we'll see I take it in tomorrow and I have the pics that I took i'll see if they will order parts based on what I have found out when I tore into to this and let me keep the bike but looking back on past experience and the things I'v heard about Ride Now here in AZ i am sure I will be without a ride for some time. I also found another problem while i was working on it last week when i was sitting on the bike and holding on to the handlebars i leaned over to the left and i heard a click in the front end so i rocked the bike several times and every time i rocked it, it would click.

I was doing some reading on the site last night and saw where BRP has come up with the vents for the 2013's and that if you talk to your dealer just right there's a possibility i might be able to get these installed on mine i downloaded all the info and some pics of a 2012 that has had this done to it we'll see tomorrow.

It's not going to be a big deal if they have to keep it the weather is just right for getting the Vette out and take the top off.

I also just ordered a set of 2014 spyder side supports and floor boards in chrome to replace the PEG's that are on my 2012 now.

Last edited by Lava Flow; 02-22-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Click when you rock the Spyder is likely a loose sway bar. Not a biggy.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I didn't think the 2014 sides and floorboards would work on a 2012?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I didn't think the 2014 sides and floorboards would work on a 2012?

Bob
    They will work i'v already seen it done that's why I decided to bite the bullet and fork out the money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Click when you rock the Spyder is likely a loose sway bar. Not a biggy.
    you were right it was the top two bolts LT. & RT. on the link that attaches to the lower A arm a real pain to remove the coves on the lower arms ( didn't have time to get the jack out) so I could get to it but it's fixed the problem.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I'm going to add two cents to this water pump seal discussion cause my '03 BMW F650 has a rotax motor and is of similar design with regards to the water pump and seals.

Here's the thing, there is a seal on the water pump side and one on the oil side. And yeah, when one goes out, you get the offender out the weep hole. (And both get replaced when one or the other goes out)

So now you only have ONE seal keeping oil from mixing with water.

If you choose to keep riding while waiting for parts to come in and that other seal decides to go out as well, now you've got oil in your cooling system or worse, water emulsifying your oil and wrecking your lubrication.

I would not take that chance with my ride and just park it till parts come in to make repairs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
    I'm going to add two cents to this water pump seal discussion cause my '03 BMW F650 has a rotax motor and is of similar design with regards to the water pump and seals.

Here's the thing, there is a seal on the water pump side and one on the oil side. And yeah, when one goes out, you get the offender out the weep hole. (And both get replaced when one or the other goes out)

So now you only have ONE seal keeping oil from mixing with water.

If you choose to keep riding while waiting for parts to come in and that other seal decides to go out as well, now you've got oil in your cooling system or worse, water emulsifying your oil and wrecking your lubrication.

I would not take that chance with my ride and just park it till parts come in to make repairs.
    It doesn't work that way. Both seals are open to the atmosphere on the weep hole side, so there is no way to cross contaminate unless you were to try and block off the weep hole. Its a pretty solid setup.

Usually, that seal fails on the water pump side since it's under pressure on that side. Most Aprilia guys (same motor) don't even bother swapping the seal/shaft assembly until it gets really bad.
    Also, a crappy install can make a new assembly leak in short order as there are a few "gotchas" with the install.

Ride it, keep an eye on the fluids. I had mine done back in 2012 and it cost me $32 to overnight the parts, the rest done under warranty. Dealer had it done and I was only down for a total of 4 days.
    Since then I helped a friend do one and it's a pretty easy job once you make access, just a lot of parts to remove and put back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It doesn't work that way. Both seals are open to the atmosphere on the weep hole side, so there is no way to cross contaminate unless you were to try and block off the weep hole. Its a pretty solid setup.

Usually, that seal fails on the water pump side since it's under pressure on that side. Most Aprilia guys (same motor) don't even bother swapping the seal/shaft assembly until it gets really bad.
    Also, a crappy install can make a new assembly leak in short order as there are a few "gotchas" with the install.

Ride it, keep an eye on the fluids. I had mine done back in 2012 and it cost me $32 to overnight the parts, the rest done under warranty. Dealer had it done and I was only down for a total of 4 days.
    Since then I helped a friend do one and it's a pretty easy job once you make access, just a lot of parts to remove and put back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Here's my take on the problem i'v been cleaning up the oil on my garage floor now for about 8 month's not to mention oil all over the underside of the Trike you have to disassemble the hole right side of the bike to include taking the Radiator loose just to be able to get your smart phone in there to take the picture. I worked on C-130H aircraft in the Military for 35 years and be leave me i'v had my share of oil leaks and I don't care to have one on my bike.
    I dropped it off this morning so I am sure it will be a couple of weeks before I get it back by then all the parts I had ordered for it will be in and I well had the time to research the best way to install the new side support plates and running boards.
    I also asked about the heat vents on the 2013 and he said he would check with BRP and see if they would do a goodwill warranty for my 2012.

Thanks Everyone
    When I here something back from the dealer I'll let you know.

Spyder Garage

Default oil leak fixed

Well I got my bike back Saturday only took 2 weeks to get the oil leak fixed they replaced the water pump and seals, Eng side took a week to get the parts from BRP.

While it was in the shop I asked them to check and see if I could get the vent scoops installed under a Goodwill Warranty my service writer checked with BRP and as I expected NO they’re not doing any other years but I can order them at $280.00 for the kit Still thinking on it.

While it was in the shop I did get my 2013 floor board kit in and for all those that keep saying the 2013 floor boards won’t fit on the older models. Well just let me say that it was the best 2 hrs I spent changing them out. It is a complete change out the only thing I had to modify was the spacer that goes between the 2 bearings on the brake pedal and that was because I didn’t know that the bearings didn’t come pressed in the new pedal.
    Anyway here are the pics I took during the change out and I got all the parts I need off eBay for $1,345.00.

Spyder Garage

Default more pics

Don't cut me to bad on my makeshift vice i don't have the shop here in AZ as I did back in GA.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Excellent makeshift vice. Bike looks good with the chrome.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic