Spyder Garage

Default Riding tomorrow Brrrrr!

We are planning to attend a trike club meeting tomorrow evening. It's about a 25 mile one way ride. The temp will be about 60 going and 50 coming back. It's been a long time since I did any cold weather riding and I'm not sure how tough we are in our old age. I rode my bike all winter in W Va. when I was in college...snow, ice, rain, sub 0. It's all I had so I had to do it. We could wear our hunting garb and just strip out of it before the meeting...seems like overkill tho'

Spyder Garage

I guess that cold weather riding is relative--depending on where you are. Here, when it gets into the 50's and 60's out comes the summer mesh, and Kevlar jeans.

Hoping to ride here in less than a month. We should have 20's to 30's. Heavy riding pants and jackets with liners will be the uniform of the day then.

IMO: Any ride is a good ride--regardless of temps. Just dress accordingly--to your own likes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everybody feels the cold differently.
    Dress in layers, and pack something along that you can throw on in an emergency. You can always take layers off, if you don't need them!
    Have a fun ride!

Personally; my Summer riding gear is good down into the low fifties... then, I add the inner layer to it!
    (No sense: no feeling! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everybody feels the cold differently.
    Dress in layers, and pack something along that you can throw on in an emergency. You can always take layers off, if you don't need them!
    Have a fun ride!

Personally; my Summer riding gear is good down into the low fifties... then, I add the inner layer to it!
    (No sense: no feeling! )
    everyone is insulated differently

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Missus calls it "lard"; I like your description better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That's far from cold.
    That's a good riding temp

Spyder Garage

76 degrees today. Just saying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    That's far from cold.
    That's a good riding temp
    That's what I was thinking.

I still ride anytime it gets above 40°. But then, I've got lots of "natural insulation".
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-20-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Difficult to say as

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    We are planning to attend a trike club meeting tomorrow evening. It's about a 25 mile one way ride. The temp will be about 60 going and 50 coming back. It's been a long time since I did any cold weather riding and I'm not sure how tough we are in our old age. I rode my bike all winter in W Va. when I was in college...snow, ice, rain, sub 0. It's all I had so I had to do it. We could wear our hunting garb and just strip out of it before the meeting...seems like overkill tho'
    Each person has their own "tolerance" for temps. For example I, like, akspyderman, saw your temps and said wow almost shirt sleeve weather for ryding. But what I do..just starting local ryding as snow mostly gone..but 34' now..so when I head out in a couple hours I will have on mid weight longjohns, sweats and wool socks. Over that I wear my BajaRon one piece Firstgear suit...my head will have a wool skull cap (and if I just wear my 1/2 helmet) then I will add the Freeze Out balaclava.....if my full face helmet then I have a stretchy thingy (forgot name something like bolo) over my skull cap. Always have a wool or silk scarf to seal off any cold going down my neck. Gloves are freeze out liners and mid weight. I have layers so as I warm up to not being comfortable to ryde will start shedding layers. Now that is for a ryde that will be lasting a minimum of an hour..less than that..I adjust accordingly. Just a quick ryde of 1/2 hr or less..I leave at least 2 layers home.
    Colder than that? Than the heated gear comes out. Yep I have gear to cover any and all temps...Easier to have and take off than get cold (I HATE BEING COLD)...and be miserable....so all that said to say..
    Overdress and be willing to shed if to much!! BUT the most important is ENJOY the moment...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the weather.............St. Louis was 77 yesterday (a new record high for the date) and it is currently 75 today!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default TIME PLUS TEMP

For no further than you're going, 50degree temp doesn't sound that bad. And clothing
    choices should be no big deal. It's when you are staring at a 400 mile day at 50 degrees
    THAT is a different story. Because the "cold" has a cumulative effect on you when riding.
    It will slow your reflexes and other nasty things if not ready for the long haul.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

It was great riding yesterday. Good thing...it's rainy and cold today. We went to a local (25 miles) Gold Wing Trike club meeting last evening. Lot's of other bike owners in the club. Lots of activates AND lots of Gray hair members. We are considering joining mainly for the local rides and get togethers.