Thread: Steering

Spyder Garage

Cool Steering

Hi All, I'm new to the Spyder scene, only had it 1 week, 2014 RT STD, can anyone tell me please, engine running spyder stationary, how easy should it be to turn steering from lock to lock?, is it anything like the power steering on a car, as soon as the engine runs it's easy to turn?

When I drive off it's quite easy to steer but very heavy when stationary, no difference with engine on or off.

Cheers, Alex
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is heavy also. You're OK.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pardon my bad manners.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And the situation that you describe is normal.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default YOU HAVE TO BE MOVING

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    Hi All, I'm new to the Spyder scene, only had it 1 week, 2014 RT STD, can anyone tell me please, engine running spyder stationary, how easy should it be to turn steering from lock to lock?, is it anything like the power steering on a car, as soon as the engine runs it's easy to turn?

When I drive off it's quite easy to steer but very heavy when stationary, no difference with engine on or off.

Cheers, Alex
    THE SPYDER "POWER STEERING" ONLY ACTIVATES (WORKS) WHEN YOU'RE MOVING. NOT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STATIONARY.
    Hence the word "DYNAMIC".
    : =)

Spyder Garage

^^ Wot 'e said!! And the Dynamic Power Steering assist gets greater the faster you go up until you reach about 30mph, when it starts getting smarter & reacting more to the 'speed' of your steering input instead!! It's a very smart & handy assist, better'n most 'run of the mill' car power steer in that it does match the increase in assist once you are moving but going slow enough to need it & then backs it off as you get faster and don't need it so much very well!!

Take your time to come to grips with the Spyder, they are different to just about anything else you are likely to ride. Relax your grip on the bars, look further ahead & watch/plan where you want to go in order to stop trying to over-correct for all the little diversions & wanderings that will happen with two wheels up front & one following; this can be as gentle & easy a ride as you like or as exciting & crisp as you want to make it!! It generally takes about 500 miles or so to relax into the ride & learn to guide the Spyder fairly gently into what you want it to do instead of responding to every little irregularity in the road surface.

It can help shorten that 500 mile learning curve if you practice trying to pull on the bar on the side you are turning towards rather than pushing out on the opposite/outside bar; it'll help pull/transfer your weight IN to the corner more & negate a bit of the 'throw you off the outside' feel that comes with a non-leaning ride. If you press hard down on your outside foot at the same time as pulling on the inside bar, it helps even more!! Once you want to go faster & harder in the twisties, you can increase that push/pull effort & add more upper body 'english' into it to get your face & weight over behind the inside mirror when you want to corner fast & hard. Once you get the weight transfer & push/pull bit sorted & learn to match the steering input to the throttle setting so that the nanny won't cut in unnecessarily, you'll have a blast!! And in the meantime, you can ride comfortably in the knowledge that the Nanny is a bloody good watch-dog who will keep you from making fatal control errors as far as riding is concerned - sure, it won't stop you from making silly or potentially painful pointing decisions, but it'll work to keep the Spyder under control & go where you aim it!! And don't be scared of really stomping on those brakes if you feel the need!! The Spyder ABS is bloody good, better than most, and it will stop you in less distance than just about anything on the road (it doesn't hurt to practice doing that a little either - if you don't, smacking your face on the windscreen during your first real 'all out' stop is a distinct possibility!)

Enjoy your Spyder, enjoy the Ryde; & welcome to the wonderful world of SpyderLovers!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

They got you covered.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Welcome and congrats on your choice of rydes. These machines have a DPS (dynamic power steering) which is electric and has its moments. Generally helping out in the slow and stationalry handling. Once rolling it will be less involved as it is less needed. You will feel it sometimes but will know for sure when it fails..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    They got you covered.
    Only other way to test, get a friend to push you while in N. See if that makes you feel better.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It is VERY hard on the steering components to turn the wheels when stationary. Having the power steering help you do this would simply encourage people to destroy these parts. It is the same with cars. I cringe when I see someone cranking on the steering wheel lock to lock with a vehicle not moving. Then people don't understand why their ball joints need to be replaced, their vehicle won't stay aligned and their tires wear unevenly.

If you will just move a little (forward or back) while turning, your steering components will last a LOT longer. But with modern vehicles people assume that if it's easy, it's ok.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is VERY hard on the steering components to turn the wheels when stationary. Having the power steering help you do this would simply encourage people to destroy these parts. It is the same with cars. I cringe when I see someone cranking on the steering wheel lock to lock with a vehicle not moving. Then people don't understand why their ball joints need to be replaced, their vehicle won't stay aligned and their tires wear unevenly.

If you will just move a little (forward or back) while turning, your steering components will last a LOT longer. But with modern vehicles people assume that if it's easy, it's ok.
    Thanks for reminding everyone of this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    They got you covered.
    Yup, Amen , covered.......
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Steering

Thanks to all you guys who replied to my question, like I said I a new "Spyderer" if that's a word, my only ride on it so far is last week when I drove it home from Paris about 200km, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I will enjoy it even more if it ever stops raining
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rain Gear offers you more time in the saddle!
    Buy the best that you can find, and it won't let you down.

(I like TourMaster...)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up WELCOME!!

Alex,
    Welcome, New or used????

NO matter-- You'll love it! Let the Farkeling begin.

Are there many other "spyderers" in France??

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default welcome

Welc0me to Spyderlovers. You'll get used to it and really enjoy it. They have you covered in what they posted. Read some of the forums, you'll learn a lot. One thing I will pass on is don't use a death grip when riding. Just an easy grip is all you need with a little firmness in the twists and turns.