Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dashboard/computer issue

A couple of times recently, the splash screen that requires me to hit the handlebar button to clear has stayed on after I started the byke, and I have to clear sometimes after I've got the byke in gear and rolling. Never thought it was much of an issue. Yesterday the byke let me start it before the screen lit up, and the screen stayed grey with no graphics at all. Although the engine ran, I couldn't put the byke in gear and none of the controls worked.

The magic walked eventually cleared the issue, but I'm not willing to trust it as I've been stranded before. I guess this means a ^&%#$& trip to the #&^* dealer. Worse, since it's an intermittent issue I'm likely to have it returned with no change.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

From the list of mods you have made one might think back if this started after any electical work was done. Have seen screen issues mostly from direct sunlight, led lighting, hid lighting etc. Was the dash removed and may have a loose connection. Then there are those glitches that come and after a reset never return. The dealer can hook you up to buds and look for stored code that could explain this
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to say it... but Gene might just be right.
    Are you SURE that that this one wasn't self-inflicted? Did it start doing this right after one of the modifications?
    He's also correct about sunlight and high heat: the displays will sometimes "blank out", if they get too warm.
    (It's an odd thing to point out in February, but your location is pretty vague...)
    Good Luck; please let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

He said he is from the United States Bob.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I'm an electrical engineer, and the mods I made are generally no deeper than tapping into a 12V circuit (that's truly not arrogance - I've fried many a wire on other projects and know I have limitations!). That being said, there is potential that I've increased the load on a sensitive circuit and shot myself in the foot. I have tried to electrically isolate most of my mods, and the timing of this issue doesn't correlate closely with any mod I've made, even the mechanical ones.

I've not read of others who had issues related to adding LED lighting. If it turns out I've caused this, I'll issue a red-faced explanation down the road .
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Just noticed some items that I didn't address.

The location was in my garage, about 65 degrees so there shouldn't have been a hot or cold component. This did not start shortly after a mod. I am DIYer, so I fully acknowledge that puts me at risk.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder should still be under warranty so, as much as it is a PITA, it's worth it to have the dealer check for any stored code(s). JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Your Spyder should still be under warranty so, as much as it is a PITA, it's worth it to have the dealer check for any stored code(s). JMO.
    You're correct, and fortunately I'm in need of my 10k service soon. I'll certainly get it done before I take off on any long trips.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    That being said, there is potential that I've increased the load on a sensitive circuit and shot myself in the foot. I have tried to electrically isolate most of my mods, and the timing of this issue doesn't correlate closely with any mod I've made, even the mechanical ones.

I've not read of others who had issues related to adding LED lighting. If it turns out I've caused this, I'll issue a red-faced explanation down the road .
    I'm going to guess you have a battery that is about to crap out even though it's not that old. Check the cable connections. The screen symptoms you describe will occur when the battery just doesn't have enough oomph to keep the voltage up while cranking the starter. If the voltage drops below something like 10.5 or 11 the computer pukes.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

That's an excellent thought in that the starter has sounded a bit anemic after the byke sits a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A battery tender is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm going to guess you have a battery that is about to crap out even though it's not that old. Check the cable connections. The screen symptoms you describe will occur when the battery just doesn't have enough oomph to keep the voltage up while cranking the starter. If the voltage drops below something like 10.5 or 11 the computer pukes.
    Any time I know I am not going to use my Spyder for more than a few days, I always plug in a battery tender to maintain optimum conditioning of the battery.
    2012 RT Limited Pearl White
    Baja Ron anti sway bar, BRP trailer hitch, BRP Comfort seat and Back rest,
    SpyderPops Bumpskid, Vertika Floorboards, High mount Stop/Run and Turn signals,
    SM10 Dongle and SMH10 headset, ISO Handgrips
    More to come.