Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default About to be a New Owner of 2016 Cam Am Spyder RT Limited (2016) when released

TO ALL!

I have been a Gold Wing Owner scince 1975 (first year of the Gold Wing). I had to stop riding in 2005 because of a botched right hip replacement. I contacted Fred Rau (once the publisher of Wing World Mag) He is an avid Can Am owner & lover. I called him and he reccommened(sp?) I test drive a Can AM Spyder. I fell in love with the motorcycle. The only problem is with the foot brake. I have some what of difficultly, (more like moderate pain) operating the foot brake. It is not impossible and definately not a safety issue. Braking just hurts my right hip, however I found I could do it safely. Fred recommended I purchase an after market hand brake kit to insure I would have no problems braking. I would appreciate anyone give me advice and suggestions concerning electronics, ie.Helmet headsets, CB's; insurance, riding gear and any other items I may need. I will be riding one up as my wife passed away in 1991 at the age of 38. She had her own Gold Wing and we traveled in most of the lower 48 state, British Colombia and Alberta Canada. I left this message on the chat board but no answer. Anyone may reach me at plzzmrdj@aol.com. I live in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Thank you in advance for any information. My Name is Simon and I use plzzmrdj as my computer name. When my wife passed away I was in the Air Force and I became a part time DJ to fill in my spare time at a Night Club in Tacoma WA, hence the name [please mister disc jockey] (plzzmrdj) Sorry about the running of the mouth. Just like to contact folks since I live alone and talk only to my furry four legged family.

Spyder Garage

Hello Simon and welcome to the Fun House. on the new . I think you will enjoy your Spyder very much. Like you my 1st wife passed away but I couldn't take being alone after 40 years of marriage so I did remarry. She will ride with me from time to time.
    Look over the home page.There are many vendors there with great products. I have used Value Accessories, Baja Ron,Lamonster Garage, and Motorcycledave. Ride your Spyder for awhile and read a lot here and pretty soon certain things will begin to jump out at you as things you need/want. Go to the forums and read the RT forums and the general tech forums and the DIY forum. Also read the Do's and Don'ts. I got lots of good riding tips from these posts alone. READ the owners manual several times. Lots of good information there. I know you have been riding for a long time, so have I (50+ years) but the Spyder is different and this stuff will help you make a fun smooth transition. Register for Spyders in the Red Rocks rally in St George in September. Ask lots,ride lots enjoy. Come to Central Utah and I'll show you around.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Welcome Simon, and great choice for your touring needs. You've been given great advise from pegasus1300.

These are great machines but take a variable amount of miles to get used to how they go down the road in comparison to two wheels. There is a good aftermarket hand brake; however it is an augmentation to the foot brakes, it is just another way to activate the foot brake, not an independent system.

There are great vendors on this site who will take great care of you for your aftermarket needs and wants.

Post a few pictures when you get it home and enjoy being back in the wind.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME SIMON!

Glad you joined our merry band of Lovers

I also have the hand brake and it works well.

When you get your Spyder take your time to learn how to ride it as it is different from two wheels and most take 600+ miles before full enjoyment takes over. #1 thing I had to learn was easy grip as the Is sensitive to input. Think of holding raw eggs that you do not want to break as you ride.

To your new adventures and I hope to meet you down the road soon
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy!!!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Simon!
    It's going to feel really good, to get your hair back out into the wind!
    Do you have any experience riding ATVs or snowmobiles? They most closely approximate the feel of the Spyders.
    ISCI makes the best add-on brake lever kit; you might want to contact them. (They're a Sponsor of this forum, and you can find them on our HomePage.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll get lots of ideas here about farkles for your RT, so I'll just say:

&
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

I too came from ryding a Gold Wing for many years. As stated by OP here, ryde as often as you can to get familiar with the Spyder. I have had two Spyders and have had both of them with Bajaron sway bars. Also, get a laser alignment. These are probability the two most important corrections you can have done. Good luck.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, Wecome & Welcome

You have a great group in the CDA/Spokane area of Spyder ryders. Showie (on Spyderlovers) is one of the main organizers. There will be a 2016 Heart of WA ryde dates June10-12,,,location Pateros, WA...Do a search for it here on SL and if you Facebook there is info there..
    Are you planning on attending Spyderfest? Myself and another Spyder ryder will be heading thru CDA on way to MO...if weather permits. If not we head south than east. Always room for another adventure ryder (hey we both are seasoned/aged and ryde for the pleasure...nothing wild and crazy!!)...if interested PM me.
    At the Heart of WA there will be vendor Squared Away (Joe and Ann Meyer)...doing the rolo laser alignments (highly recommend from experience) and many TricLED lights. Contact them directly for appointment and pricing. They are Spyderlover sponsors.
    Again welcome and what color ?
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To both the spyder world and this most informative site. Congrats on your choice and Fred was the guy to talk to... Once you get the hand brake installed and get some ryding in you will better see what else you will want to add. Start with the safety items first them comfort then you will be ready for the farkeling...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome, Simon. There is no need for me to attempt to elaborate on what others have offered; they've hit the bulls-eye. Have fun, be safe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and Stay on board with all of us. See you in Anacortes, WA. during the Oyster run. Jerry
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

and

The above posters have pretty much covered it all. There are many threads that have your questions covered in detail. Recommend starting there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome and suggestion

Hello Simon and welcome to the fun. I too am a fairly new spyder Ryder and the one piece of advice I would pass along to you would be to not rush on any add ons or after market items right away, really get to know your options and what you want first. For me I know I have already found a few things I would have done differently, for example I probably would not have added a sena sm10 unit to the bike. I have found that I actually only needed the 20s helmet system for my wife and I and we listen to our iPhones for music. Could have saved a few hundred there.

Your gonna love the new ride!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Welcome Simon glad you found this site we are here to help you, ask questions.

and
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Welcome and congrats.
    Making friends where ever I ride.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Simon. Have fun with the new ride and do get out with the other riders in your area. Best place to learn (besides here) and you will be able to see the extra add-ons before buying.

Spyder Garage

Default Idaho native

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum and congrats on the Spyder purchase! We are also from Idaho, currently near Boise. My husband is retired and rides a motorcycle 100% of the time and I ride my 15 F3 about 70% of the time during the 7 months of non freezing weather. Almost any trip we take is on the bikes so we put a lot of miles on each year. This is my third Spyder, first with the 1330 Ace motor and love it's much smoother, and faster, power curve and pulling a trailer with it is much easier!
    If U are ever riding thru or visiting the area, let us know and the coffee will be hot!
    2016 F3T , Pearl White