Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear speakers on my 2011 Spyder RT.

When playing the radio the sound only comes from the front speakers. I tried playing around with the fade feature in the Preferences screen, but still no sound out of the rear speakers. My wife says she cannot understand the radio when it only plays on the front speakers - she just hears noise. Any ideas?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PREFERENCE SCREEN

#1. Did those speakers EVER work #2. I think you may need to explain in detail how you " played around with the FADER "......I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities so the best advice can be given.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    #1. Did those speakers EVER work #2. I think you may need to explain in detail how you " played around with the FADER "......I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities so the best advice can be given.................Mike
    I don't know if they ever worked. I bought the Spyder (used) in November of 2015. On the fader subject I went to the Preferences menu, selected Audio, Fader, then I tried various settings. When I tried to send some of the sound to the rear speakers through the Fade feature to, for example R4 or R5, the sound volumn coming out of the front speakers decreased but still nothing came out of the rear speakers.

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    I don't know if they ever worked. I bought the Spyder (used) in November of 2015. On the fader subject I went to the Preferences menu, selected Audio, Fader, then I tried various settings. When I tried to send some of the sound to the rear speakers through the Fade feature to, for example R4 or R5, the sound volumn coming out of the front speakers decreased but still nothing came out of the rear speakers.
    ....OK, ...I looked in the radio booklet but it didn't help....soooooooo I'm going to go and play with mine to see if I can figure your issue out ......Mike................PS this may take a bit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....OK, ...I looked in the radio booklet but it didn't help....soooooooo I'm going to go and play with mine to see if I can figure your issue out ......Mike................PS this may take a bit
    Thanks for working on this. I really appreciate your help!

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKER THING

Thanks for working on this. I really appreciate your help!
    .....Well, I tried what you did and a few variations..........however mine ( rear ) either get louder or quieter ..... based on the FADER setting.......I don't believe there is any SEPARATE fuse for the speakers.!!!..........I have heard of them failing ( not common ). I don't know how Handy you are, but if you are able to get the rear speaker PODS off, you could dis-connect the speakers and check if it's in the wiring ( not likely ) or the speakers. If it's in the radio itself that's could be quite expensive to re-place unless you bought the Spyder with an extended warranty......................If you don't have a warranty...and don't want to pay the big bucks for a new radio.................You could do what I did and just re-place the front speakers with a pair of JBL - GTO 528's for about $ 51.00..( look on E-bay for them )..............They are ...AWESOME .....and can play loud enough so the passenger can hear it.........................OR maybe someone else will chime in with a better solution, sorry I couldn't fix this ..................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-14-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Has the base model RT always had rear speakers? I may be total wrong here but I seem to remember something about that.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKER THING

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Has the base model RT always had rear speakers? I may be total wrong here but I seem to remember something about that.
    ...The base 2011 RT didn't have REAR SPEAKERS ........because it didn't have a RADIO......His does, so it must be an " S " or audio & convenience or LTD etc. .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RT A/C and it came with a AM/FM radio and front speakers only.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-14-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Need more info. As stated above, if it is an, audio/convenience model, it only has front speakers. If it is a RTs or Ltd, it will have 4.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is why we like to see a description of the bike contained in the Signature Line...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My bike appears to have 4 speakers. I'll describe the bike when I figure out how to get to the signature line. I'm new to this forum, but I'm already impressed by how you all have shown interest in my situation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I had a 2010 RT A/C and it came with a AM/FM radio and front speakers only.
    My first a 2012 RTS-SE5 A/C and it came with AM/FM radio and it had front/rear speakers.

The rear/front speakers worked.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 02-14-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bike appears to have 4 speakers. I'll describe the bike when I figure out how to get to the signature line. I'm new to this forum, but I'm already impressed by how you all have shown interest in my situation.
    It's pretty tough to tell much, from the outside of the speaker box...
    My Old A&C was originally equipped with just the two front speakers... After the dealer installed the rear set; I couldn't detect any difference... until I fired up the radio!

If you DO happen to need a set of rear speakers:
    Part # 219400150
    $154.99
    Any 2013 and later RT will already have 4 speakers.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-14-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

When playing the radio the sound only comes from the front speakers. I tried playing around with the fade feature in the Preferences screen, but still no sound out of the rear speakers. My wife says she cannot understand the radio when it only plays on the front speakers - she just hears noise. Any ideas?
    I have no idea if the 2011 works the same as my '14 RT-S but this is what I have to do to get the external speakers to play both front and rear which I do not routinely do as I prefer listening through my SMH10.

I press the Mode button to get to Preferences and push the Down arrow to the Audio function. Next I turn on external speakers and then select Fader. Switching to Fader I press the down Arrow button until Fader is at Center. At this point the rear speakers come on and volume is then adjusted by exiting out of Preferences and using the Volume Up or Down button when int RECC screen is in driving mode. The rear speakers are not as loud as the front ones when Fader is set at Center so I can increase the reward bias (R1 to R7) more to balance the front and rear speakers although it doesn't sound anything like a good cage audio system. Even with the Fader bias set to R7 the rear speakers are not as loud as the front one would be at F7. Hope this helps.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKER THING

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Old A&C was originally equipped with just the two front speakers... After the dealer installed the rear set; I couldn't detect any difference... until I fired up the radio!

Part # 219400150
    $154.99
    ....I paid less than that for FOUR high quality JBL speakers, that will play twice as loud, clear and crisp.........or you can buy the garbage OEM speakers...............your choice .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; the newer speakers are a whole lot better!
    And at 4 ohms; they match up well to the OEM fronts...

Spyder Garage

Default Another option

Cashed, I'm not sure of your long term plans, but if you and your wife do enjoy music you may want to do a little research on some of the Bluetooth options. For instance you can add a module to your bike and add units to your helmets and stream the audio to both helmets, you can get just add two Bluetooth units to your helmets and listen to your personal music from a smart phone or tablet that has Bluetooth, quite a few options to think about. My wife and I have the Sena sm10 installed on the bike and we have the 20 s units on our helmets. We can chat with each other, listen to our own iPhone music selections at the same time, and also switch between the radio of the spyder, and by spring we will have the satellite radio hooked up as well! If you can't tell, we really like our music.

Best of luck, and post any questions. There are tons of folks here who have way more knowledge than I do on these subjects.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Part # 219400150
    $154.99
    I think that this is probably the problem. I'm taking my bike to the dealer the day after tomorrow to install a new Kumho Ecsta AST rear tire, a Bajaron bumpskid and swaybar, to repair a clutch fluid leak and maybe to install a gear position sensor. I'll have them check to see if my Spyder has rear speakers. If not I may get a set of the speakers listed above. I'll keep you updated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know what you find out, and Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I think that this is probably the problem. I'm taking my bike to the dealer the day after tomorrow to install a new Kumho Ecsta AST rear tire, a Bajaron bumpskid and swaybar, to repair a clutch fluid leak and maybe to install a gear position sensor. I'll have them check to see if my Spyder has rear speakers. If not I may get a set of the speakers listed above. I'll keep you updated.
    this may be a stupid question but gear position sensor?

the problem i have with my rear speakers is the passenger controls dont seem to do anything. They will change the station but the volume doesnt seem to do anything.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those volume controls for the passenger only work on the volume of BRP's plug-in intercom system.

Spyder Garage

Default RADIO CONTROLS

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    this may be a stupid question but gear position sensor?

the problem i have with my rear speakers is the passenger controls dont seem to do anything. They will change the station but the volume doesnt seem to do anything.
    . .....I also have the RT basic and mine only changes the station..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have BRP's intercoms; the only radio control that the passenger will have: the ability to change to the next song (or previous song) on an I-Pod.

Spyder Garage

Well folks, I got my Spyder worked on today. First, my bike does not have rear speakers. It is a standard 2011 RT that had a radio added after purchase and this is why there was no sound coming out of what appeared to be speakers.

My bike also has a new rear tire, a BajaRon swaybar and bump/skid. They also replaced the rear brake pads, adjusted drive belt tension, the rear trunk latch, repaired my difficulty getting into neutral and diagnosed my clutch fluid leak. I have a leaking master cylinder and have a new one on order.

By the way, the swaybar made an amazing improvement in cornering.