Spyder Garage

Default MBRP Murdered Out Series blowing a part

Has anyone had the MBRP Carbon fiber muffler tube break away at the end screws?
    Last edited by powerbyaj; 02-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Only a few Carbon Fiber exhausts have a good history...Titanium has had it's problems too. They majority of the problems have been on V-Twins. Akropovich and Leo Vince have a great rep...if you are asking because you want CF exhaust.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

As AMTJIM says "Only a few Carbon Fiber exhausts have a good history"... and MBRP is one of them. I've not heard of any MBRP exhaust having a problem of blowing apart or tubes breaking away at the end screws. Hell, I've not heard of many of any exhausts doing that. But if anything gets abused and/or ignored, anything is bound to happen. I've got a grand on my CF murdered out and have had no issues.

Spyder Garage

I've thought some more about this.....
    I've read this question on a couple of other sites now. Are you talking about the screws that conect the 90 degree pipe to the exhaust?
    Did this happen to you, someone you know, or just heard about it? I don't see how it would be possable, to break off all 5 screws or for rust to cause the problem (powder coating 90 degree, ceramic end caps). Over torqueing the screws could be possable but even then I don't see it. Unless the exhaust got hammered real hard or an elephant stood on it I can't give you a real answer on this. None the less, if installed properly, and somehow the weld failed, MBRP would back up their product and resolve the problem to whomever this may have happened to. Abuse and neglect will not be covered. I've had the same exhaust for 1,000 miles with no problems other then people saying that it's one of the badest ass sounding exhaust they have heard on a V-twin!

RR

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's a familiar sight!
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

That stinks. Do you have any idea why it happened? It looks to me like the flange they are attaching to needed to be twice as long so they could have gotten the screws farther from the edge of the carbon fiber piece. They also could have reinforced that area with some metal. Was there any warning that this was happening like you noticed one or two screw holes wearing out or did the thing just blow apart all at once? Does it sit naturally in the position of your photo? The reason I ask is because, if it does, there seems to be quite a bit of tension between the exhaust 90 and the muffler clamp causing it to spring apart like that. Maybe that tension could have contributed to the break.

Have you contacted them and are they going to take care of the problem?

Spyder Garage

This is a common problem with most brands of carbon fiber exhaust.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

2 bros carbon fiber had the same problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    That stinks. Do you have any idea why it happened? It looks to me like the flange they are attaching to needed to be twice as long so they could have gotten the screws farther from the edge of the carbon fiber piece. They also could have reinforced that area with some metal. Was there any warning that this was happening like you noticed one or two screw holes wearing out or did the thing just blow apart all at once? Does it sit naturally in the position of your photo? The reason I ask is because, if it does, there seems to be quite a bit of tension between the exhaust 90 and the muffler clamp causing it to spring apart like that. Maybe that tension could have contributed to the break.

Have you contacted them and are they going to take care of the problem?
    I was on the freeway doing around 60mph in 5th gear, downshifted before changing lanes then gave the bike some throttle then bom.

Have no idea why this happen. I will be checking the motor mounts and the down pipe for any play this weekend.

That's not the angle when mounted. Muffler is hanging by the mounting strap after the separation.

Spyder Garage

A backfire can do it.
    -Scotty