Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Advice for purchasing a new or used rt-s we have been looking at 2015 models.

My wife and I are considering a purchase. We are weighing all options.
    We would love feedback on the 2015 models and earlier ones as well.
    We have learned that the 2013 model has engine/heat issues.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Dave (heartsaflyin@yahoo.com)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT PURCHASE

....IMHO.. only buy one it has the 1330 engine....and you should try the semi-auto transmission......It will sell better at re-sale time ( for you )........Mike ( a 7 year owner )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....IMHO.. only buy one it has the 1330 engine....and you should try the semi-auto transmission......It will sell better at re-sale time ( for you )........Mike ( a 7 year owner )
    Have owned five now. Four 998's, one 1330. Four semi auto and one manual. They are all good. I like the 1330 best.

Do your due diligence. Get the vehicle history. BRP web site allows you to input the VIN and get the complete mechanical history. If a SL member--check out posts. Owners make comments about how they feel.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

for me, every dollar mattered and compared to 2 wheels, this Spyder stuff is very expensive...that said, I love my 2014 limited. I am fortunate to find one locally and paid $17500 but without the included GPS itself as it was misplaced by the previous owner. It had 9k miles on purchase. I was fortunate that the owner had gone through a divorce and was moving to China to open a business, and I was the only responder to her craiglist advertisement. It was bone stock, so I spent another $1500 on led lighting, sway bar, ram mounts, and a new back tire. A local was selling the same bike with all the extras one could want which might be a good deal for more money.

it came with a BEST extended warranty of 2 years, so the warranty is from original purchase March 2014 through March 2018, but the BEST warranty includes a deductible for work done...I think it's $50 per work order.

it seems Spyders (like Harleys) are not ridden much by the average owner. too little miles is as bad as too much. motorcycles are made to be ridden and not sit idle for months or years at a time. and the 2014 was the first, so cheapest used 1330 engine model out there and seems to be as reliable as any other, even though a first generation 1330. so let's say you find one now that was bought July 2014 and is 17months old. I'd hope it has a minimum 4k miles and was ridden over the last few months, then serviced before sale.

the limited is nice because of the GPS, worth about $350 for a like new refurb, the seat is very comfortable and ready for a backrest, and the chrome is pretty. nothing wrong with the S model for less money.

I'm new to this spyder game, so all this is nothing more than my opinion worth 1.5 cents.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Purchase

I bought a 2015 RT in Oct. I love it. Check out imotorsportsinc.com. They have pretty good prices on 2015 models and they will ship it anywhere in the continental U.S. free of charge. The 3 cylinder is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I am on my first Spyder and agree with what all the other posters have said about the 1330 ACE engine; it's great as is the six speed semi-automatic tranny. Has better gas mileage and less frequent maintenance intervals than the V-twins, e.g., hydraulic valve lifters never need adjusting. That said, you're considering investing in a sophisticated, rolling computer. As such the quality of dealership service is very important; find a darn good dealership to do the work you won't do yourself. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S