Thread: Tire Question

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Question

So I know that the day is going to come that i need to get new tires for the spyder. It's not here yet and with hope won't be here this season. However, my question is this. i have a 2012 rs and wanted to know roughly what I could look to pay for 3 new tires installed. Now I understand dealer prices might be a little different but we got to talking about it and it made me curious what everyone's experience was with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

Do my own work but you will find that your back tire will be gone long before the fronts. I have the same year and model and ryde hard and mostly double up and got 22,000 miles on the back and over 30 on the fronts.Dealer rates and times may vary and it will also depend on how much you can help. removing the front wheels is a breeze and then all they can charge is for the mounting. The rear is a bit more of a challenge.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

About $300 tire and install on the rear. About $300 tires and install on the front.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Angry

Try $800 out the door FOR ONE REAR TIRE at Winnipeg's only Spyder rip-off shop.
    I took the wheel to the local Harley dealer, $25 installation, $150 delivered for a Kenda tire. Still had to go the dealer who charged me $200 to R&R the wheel.
    So it really depends on the scruples of the local dealer.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help guys. I think I"m a ways off like I said I've only got 12K miles so I'm looking for a while before I have to change tires but it's good to know what I"m looking at.

Spyder Garage

Check the search button. There are 2,003,236 different nopinions on there. In fact there are opinions on there for which no questions have ever been asked. The opinion meter on this site is stuck on overload.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 02-14-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

My approach for the rear wheel:
    1. Watch Lamonts rear wheel removal video in the DIY section (how to remove it without changing the belt alignment/tension)
    2. Remove rear wheel and take rear wheel to local tire shop (car tire places should be able to do it).
    3. Put rear tire back on Spyder.

The fitting is normally included in the cost of tire, if your supplying the tire then it's probably $20 or so to fit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    I took the wheel to the local Harley dealer, $25 installation, $150 delivered for a Kenda tire. Still had to go the dealer who charged me $200 to R&R the wheel.
    last spring I needed new front tires on my rts was in walmart and they were selling off their winter tires I got 2 175/65/14 tires for $26,00 each they had a none aggressive tread took the wheels off and had walmart instal and balance them for under $100.00 tax included, used them all summer and very satisfied .I am going to replace rear tire again this spring getting a 215/60/15 general $98.00 I always remove wheel myself so will only pay for installing on rim ,do my own balancing on rear

Spyder Garage

Default Bigal55

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    Hi my name is al child's my wife and I live in wpg . we both drive 2009 rs spyders I am retired and always looking for ridding buddies if interested give me a call 204 795 2895 hope to hear from ya.

Spyder Garage

This past Saturday I paid $179 for a new rear tire and another $80 for install (1hr labor) at my dealership. Not sure how some of you are getting 20+ thousand miles... I start off and ride like a grandpa and only got 7500 miles out of my rear tire. Fronts still look almost new. Rear was getting completely bald in patches, right in the center of the tire.

I've found rear tires on eBay for around $140.

Cy
    Cy
    1. Why do they call you Cy? It's short for Sexy Cyclops
    2. What happened to your eye? Space Monkeys happened.
    3. What do you ride? Black 2015 Cam Am Spyder RS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IT's BECAUSE

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoTherapist View Post
    This past Saturday I paid $179 for a new rear tire and another $80 for install (1hr labor) at my dealership. Not sure how some of you are getting 20+ thousand miles... I start off and ride like a grandpa and only got 7500 miles out of my rear tire. Fronts still look almost new. Rear was getting completely bald in patches, right in the center of the tire.

Cy
    ...............We aren't driving with " CRAPENDA " ( Kenda ) tires anymore .......Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought 2 front tires took the wheels off and had discount tire mount and balance them for 32.00

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It completely depends upon what tire you decide to purchase...
    (And if your dealer is willing to mount a non-brp tire)
    I'm running an automotive tire out back: paid $81 dollars for it, and $50 for the installation.
    I've always had good luck with brp front tires, so I might just stay with them...
    ...or I might not!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoTherapist View Post

Cy
    We had the same thing happen to us and the dealer lowered the pressure by three pounds. Said the cause of wear was because how the tire inflates at high speeds. After deflating tire got better wear on the rear tire.

Spyder Garage

Default tires

pick up 3 tires from discount tire remove the front ones take them in to discount when they get them in the mount them free

i use the local automotive tire place to change my rear i pull the tire and remove the center hub and no issues $10 done

tires will run around 80 each

Spyder Garage

Default Indy shop

Any good independent bike shop can do your rear tire. Last year I bought a kuhmo off the inter web , and had my Indy install it. The whole deal was around 150.
    it was fun while it lasted.